410Fortune's 1988 FORD Bronco II 4x4 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune's 1988 FORD Bronco II 4x4 Eddie Bauer

410Fortune's 1988 FORD Bronco II 4x4 Eddie Bauer

I got this truck from my older brother for $500. It had sat in a barn for about 6 months without even being started. I got the keys and it started right up..

She was dubbed "The buckin bronco" by my friends, she had a bad miss and ran like dirt. My brother had used this truck until she was in dire need of some TLC. I began to collect tools and learn how to work on a Ford. I had always worked on cars a bit but nothing this extreme. I was always a water cooled VW person. I had 4x4 RC cars growing up and loved the idea of having something to go off road. I fell in love with the truck within a month, nothing drives or wheels like a short wheelbase Bronco and the BII, even stock was alot of fun to drive.
This truck has been my daily driver for almost 11 years, saving me a car payment. If I was to do it over again I could save alot of $$$ and time, but I never would have learned so much or had so much fun building ansd wheeling.

2893bronco.jpg

2893broncor.jpg

I added the Yakima rack, flea market push bar, fog lights, and tires right away.

The rest is history....

---> When I got it her <---
1988 BII, 175K miles (approx) 2.9L Cologne EFI V6, Mitsubishi 5 speed, BW 1350 T case, Dana 28 front axle, 7.5" rear axle, 3.55 gears, Eddie Bauer interior and 2 tone paint All stock. Power windows, power air lumbar seats, A/C, auto hubs and RABS brakes.

Progression (to get to here):
-2.9L was modified with cold air intake, massaged throttle body and hand ported intakes. Custom 2.25" exhaust was installed. Also MSD 6A ignition with Accel super coil, 16" Hayden electric fan and 4.0L radiator.
-2.9L EFI and Mitsubishi 5 speed converted to 93 4.0L OHV with Mazda 5 speed
-4.0L got KKM intake, 70mm MAS, 66mm TB, and 2.5" exhaust with single cat
-Later converted to A4LD automatic
-Dana 28 was replaced with Dana 35 TTB, 7.5" rear was replaced with disc brake 8.8 rear rear limited slip and 3.73 gears.
-Dana 35 beams were then custom built and 3" lift was replaced with 6" lift, and extended radius arms
-4.10 gears installed with a front ARB locker
-Rear ARB locker installed

5...re_wash-med.jpg

---> Specs as of 2006 (287K miles on OD) <---
Drive train:
-1997 Ford small block 5.0L GT-40p engine (60K miles)
L&L solid engine mounts, Ford dual sump oil pan, Canton billet oil filter re-location adapter, Torque Monster Bronco II conversion headers, KKM intake with cold air induction. Ford 97 Mercury Mountaineer EEC-V computer (complete OBD-II conversion), 96 Mustang floor shifter with OD button.
-1997 4R70W automatic transmission
Modified Autofab urethane transmission mount
AOD output shaft and Advance Adapter AOD to BW1350 T case 5" adapter installed
-1993 BW 1354 E shift transfer case
-Custom explorer based drive shafts

2893front1.jpg

5...version_012.jpg

dsfront.jpg

Conversion thread on Explorerforum.com:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124626

Front:
-Dana 35 TTB (Ford I beam) 4x4 front axle. Beams modified for 3" cut and turn, approx 1" track width increase per side. 4.10 Precision Gear ring and pinion with ARB air locker. Custom length outer axle shaft on passenger side, passenger beam modified for high clearance. Pass side axle shaft slip yoke is welded and fitted with a custom steel coil spring, C clip eliminated.
-James Duff early style 2" axle pivot drop brackets
-Skyjacker 6" lift coils
-Skyjacker extended radius arms (bushings) and transmission X member
-Superlift Superrunner steering system
-Timken wheel bearings, Moog ball joints, PF carbon metallic brake pads
-Warn manual hubs
-Rancho 9000 shocks
-Superlift 4" rubber brake lines
-Custom Ford sway bar and quick disconnect

2893beams.jpg

Rear:
-Ford 8.8 31 spline disc brake explorer rear axle. Converted to spring over using weld on spring perches, custom shock mounts
-4.10 Yukon ring and pinion, ARB RD-81 air locker
-PF carbon metallic pads
-Skyjacker 4" Ranger leaf springs
-Superlift cast 2" tapered lift block
-Rancho 9000 shocks
-Custom Ford sway bar and quick disconnect

Chassis:
-95 explorer brake master cylinder
-97 Explorer V8 Down pipes with factory catalytic converters w/ 4ea 02 sensors (OBD-II). Dual inlet single 3" outlet high flow muffler w/ 3" pipe over rear axle and straight out the back.
-Ron Davis custom "Nascar" aluminum 2 core radiator with fluid/fluid trans cooler (rad support modified for mounting)
-B&M transmission cooler
-1988 Bronco II fan shroud
-Modified BII gas tank and dual fuel pump system (OBD-II)
-BII transfer case and fuel tank skid plates, custom D35 diff skid plate
-James Duff receiver tube bumpers front and rear, PIAA driving light up front, billet license plate lights in back. Custom reverse light in rear bumper
-Hella H4 headlights
-Clear front parking lamps
-AutoFab fiberglass fenders
-Metallic blue paint

Interior (Ford "mocha"):
-90 Eddie Bauer (BII) door panels and headliner
-97 Eddie Bauer power leather seats
-Husky front floor mats
-Painted dash, arm rests, trim, handles, etc to match mocha
-Custom white face BII gages,Autometer oil pressure, water temp, & trans temp 2-5/8" gages
-Garmin GPS, Radio shack CB, Tiger CB antennae
-Custom carpet, custom cargo liner and hold downs, custom center console, no back seat, custom racks for tools and supplies.
-97 explorer 2 way visors with lighted mirrors

ebbuck1.jpg

Other:
-33x12.5 Dick Cepek FC II tires mounted on Superior Star tec 15x7.5" rims (daily, seasonal)
-35x12.5 Goodyear MTR tires mounted on 15x10 black mods (wheeling)
-Dura Last gold battery

Stereo:
Kenwood Excelon Mp3 head unit, Music Keg, Apline 5 channel, 13 speakers.
UNGO alarm

Custom modifications:
-Custom front fender liners
-LED side marker/parking lamps
-Many wiring modifications front to rear, integrated 94 power distribution)

Now instead of listing everything I have replaced/rebuilt or customized (sometimes more than once!!) I will list the things that are still OEM:
-Pass side power window motor
-Rear tailgate wiper motor
-Rear spare tire carrier
-Side mirrors
-"Touch Drive" pushbutton 4x4 console and computer
-Most of the body and glass
That’s it :p

5...ld_2004_web.jpg

2893poser.jpg

2893bagbys.jpg

2893moab03.jpg

Future plans (semi in order):
8.8 diff guard
Rocker protection
Finish custom interior
Re-movable fiberglass door inserts
Re-movable side windows
Re-movable rear hatch glass
Custom tailgate
Custom spare tire mount (in bed)
Cab/roll cage
Body work, rust repair / new paint
Coil over front shocks and engine cage
D44 knuckles and brakes
Custom rear leaf pack w/ reservoir shocks through the bed shock mounts/cage. Custom shackles and mounts
Extended wheelbase
Pulled bedsides
Dana 20 Transfer case with low range gear set

Along the way:
5.0L performance parts, shift kit, Laptop interface, roof lighting, soft windows, undercoating, floor coating, new custom center console, sunroof, dual batteries, etc..

Any questions? Just ask!

Congrats to Jamie for all his hard work and persistance on building his project into his dream.

A lot of unmentioned time and fundage has netted him a very capable and trail worthy rig.

Yet this truck has taken on many morphing stages it is still under the knife as we speak, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sick! Congrats Jamie! :cool:

Great work

I remember watching your video of you starting it up and it just roaring (although it didn't have headers on, but it sounded great). Well deserve and a asset to this forum - :thumbsup:

-Drew

And it just keeps getting better and better. You have helped so many people with your vast knowledge. When are you going to write a book about 4 wheelin?

I've never really been a bronco 2 man myself but I saw this thing just after he got done with the 302 conversion and it is SICK and BADASS! Now that I know what a b2 can be and look like, I sure am now. Good work Jaime!

About time and very well deserved, congrats!

That ain't no BII anymore, but it's a hell of a truck. :D Congrats man.

Thanks fella's!
I finally built a VB garage, hopefully SVO will update this thread with its contents.
It was still being edited when he posted this :)

I cannot wait to get started on "stage III" once the Explorer is running then the BII can handle some down time so I can strip out the interior and windows and get started......

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=2893

I have your video of you starting your truck up with the 302. damn i love that sound

Congrats Jamie!

I was wondering when you were ever gonna be nominated as a feature truck! Good job man.

Thanks! I was going to wait until stage III was completed before submitting it for TOTM, but hey maybe I can make the cut twice? hehehe give me a year, the BIG mods are coming.....

Back