4406 wont engauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4406 wont engauge

nssj2

Reaction score
ok this is bad i need to be on the road in an hour and a half, and my new (to me) 4406 wont engage into 2H or 4H. i installed it in neutral. i move the lever towards me (left) and pull back, CLICK, 4LOW. then i to the same thing and push up, nothing. i read the shift thread, and looked at the knob pattern, but she wont budge. this is all while my truck is in park. HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put the truck in N, then try to shift to 4hi and 4 low

Also you may need to move the truck slightly

I hope you didnt bind anything up when you installed it?

Have you tried shifting the t case without using the linkage (right on the t case lever)?

didnt try without the linkage, but have clearance all around it. all the shafts rotated freely when i installed it, partly why i left it in neutral. lemme give it a whirl, thanks

YAY!! Thanks jt and 410. is that grinding bad? it did it once, and i immediately threw it into park and killed the engine.

the grinding is normal...I believe it has to do with that brown wire (internal clutch)

dont worry you will figure it out real quick, to avoid grinding:
Truck in N, low idle before switching from 4hi to 4 low, no grinding. IN park = grinding

You should be able to shift from 2wd to 4wd HI any time you wish though, I use it on the highway all the time when it goes from dry to snow (typical CO)

Glad its working... now go check out your brand new tractor like low range. Truck in 1, t case in low = wow

You did remember to fill your new t case with ATF right?

thanks for the tips!

A *slight* grind when going from 4high to 4low wouldn't be unacceptable. However, make sure you are stopped or ever-so-slightly rolling and in neutral when you make that transition. If you try and yank it while still in gear, as soon as you hit neutral, the input side of the t-case will start spinning with the trans and the case will make a horrible grind.

Going into 4high from 2high you should stop or move slowly as well. In its original life, that transfer case would have activated its internal clutch to synch the front and rear driveshaft speeds. If you're rolling straight down a road, you shouldn't have an issue shifting on the fly without it (assuming you've still got a live front axle).

-Joe

Joe, there is no internal clutch in the manual BW4406 is there? Also, isn't the 4Hi position of that TC and the TOD version a mechanical locked position? I read somewhere that the front shaft is locked with the rear in 4Hi in the electronic BW4406 unit. Elsewhere someone has suggested that the internal clutch works in 4Hi. Regards,

havent had a problem with any more grinding, now that i now how to do it. 2hi and 4hi are all shift on the fly, and 4low the truck is in neutral, barley rolling. now if i only had a front driveshaft......:rolleyes:

Back