• Register Today It's free!

4x4 shift motor help

Eppsauce

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Alright guys… I’ve officially hit a mental wall. I am trying to fix the shift motor to get my 4x4 back up and running. I tried the test in the back with the 4 lights. That’s all good. Took the shift motor off and no surprise but the bushing in there was totally destroyed. So I replaced it with this medical Tubing and it’s snug around the screw.
Reassembled the motor and put the connectors back. Fired it up and my 4x4 light was on and alive!
Turned it off, waited for a few and tried to turn it back on and nothing. Now the light won’t come back on in the dash.
Took the motor back off and now I’m back to the drawling board, is the medical tubing too flimsy? I’ve attached pics of my replacement bushing.
When I had it in the rough side was up, wondering if that was the issue. I haven’t tried the cleaner side up. Not sure if it’ll make a difference. Any insight would be great!
1993 sport

7EB00B24-C0D6-46D6-B9D3-2EBE20A70BC1.jpeg C09F26DD-F056-420A-8162-E8672D8D0096.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You likely just need to adjust the armature on the shift motor

If you look T the cover with the 3 screws uou will see some hash marks around the edge. Before you took it apart you should have marked the locations so it could be put back exact same spot. Don’t fret.
You can loosen the three screws and slightly turn the “cap” one way and then the other until the shift Motor gets back into a position the truck can recognize
You did good with the medical tubing I have fixed many 86-94 motors that way
You should also clean and lube the entire worm gear drive, motor armature and brushes while in there

See if what I said makes sense of not I can dig up some pictures from the past

I have one from a working transfer case I'm getting ready to throw in the metal dumpster, yours for the price of shipping if you want it.

You likely just need to adjust the armature on the shift motor

If you look T the cover with the 3 screws uou will see some hash marks around the edge. Before you took it apart you should have marked the locations so it could be put back exact same spot. Don’t fret.
You can loosen the three screws and slightly turn the “cap” one way and then the other until the shift Motor gets back into a position the truck can recognize
You did good with the medical tubing I have fixed many 86-94 motors that way
You should also clean and lube the entire worm gear drive, motor armature and brushes while in there

See if what I said makes sense of not I can dig up some pictures from the past
Thanks for the update, it was covered in grime and just about everything else. I just got home from work, I’ll go clean it off and see if I can’t align those notches

What was the ticket?

I didn’t line the hash up with the right side like you said! Easy enough

Back