5.0L Oil cooler delete, how is it done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L Oil cooler delete, how is it done?

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey guys, I just noticed that it looks like my oil cooler is leaking coolant around the seam on my 96. Before it mixes oil with coolant I think I want to remove it. Does anyone know how this is done? Is it as easy as unbolting it and putting the 98+ radiator hose in place to bypass it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the 98+ hose will fit with the oil cooler in place, there's not enough room to route the hose around it.

I'm guessing you'd have to swap out the oil filter mount too to remove it entirely.

I don't think the 98+ hose will fit with the oil cooler in place, there's not enough room to route the hose around it.

I'm guessing you'd have to swap out the oil filter mount too to remove it entirely.

Oh yeah I figured that much. I'm assuming I'll have to remove the cooler and two rad hoses, screw my oil filter in where the cooler was and run a rad hose. But will the 98+ hose fit once the cooler is removed or were mounting points for the water pump and radiator on the 96-97 and early 98 different?

Oil filter Bung inside the block needs to be replaced. You can get those from 5.0 Resto.

There was also an old post around the site where someone figured out that a 2000 XLT V-8 lower radiator hose fits just fine.

If I find it I'll pass it along.

You are really going to have to remote mount the oil filter completely. If you just try and put a stock filter in place it hits the steering rack.

Use search function and type in "Oil Filter Relocation".

Thats the one.

I have a perfectly good oil cooler that is yours for shipping costs. I put a remote filter and oil cooler in when I installed the 347 a few months ago. It doesn't leak. I'm outside of Charlotte, NC.

002_zpsb0793cf6.jpg

Never worry about a leak with this.

002_zpsb0793cf6.jpg

Never worry about a leak with this.

What's that off of? A 98+ truck? That is probably the best of both worlds. I don't have to spend money on a relocation kit and can get rid of the troublesome oil cooler. This truck is starting to cost me more than I expected so cutting costs is a plus.

That is a 99-01 oil filter housing. Combine that with a 99-01 lower radiator hose and you'll be good to go.

That is a 99-01 oil filter housing. Combine that with a 99-01 lower radiator hose and you'll be good to go.

Awesome. Look's like this is the route I'll go. Thanks for all the info.

Back