700r4 or t-5 world class replacement! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

700r4 or t-5 world class replacement!

hunterep

Reaction score
City, State
killeen, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Hey

Im hoping I can get some of the senior experts in this area to coment. Primarily how there 700r4 conversion, or t-5 are holding up. Also mentioning and areas of trouble they ran into. Links and companys with part numbers they used to get things working.

Im on my 2nd A4LD and will not be putting in a 3rd as Ill be paying for this one! Right now Im pretty set on putting the t5 in unless someone hear has some major dirt on this swap.

I was able to find a complete step by step on the 700r4 and would like to be pointed where I can find someting similar regarding the t5.

James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one has any coments on how there conversions are holding up?

I can tell you that the 700r4 on mine is holding strong. I have not dynoed my truck since I've done all the mods so I won't venture to guess what it's putting out number wise, but I can mash the pedal and stand still on dry pavement. I wouldn't say I've completely abused it yet but I don't think the A4LD would have held up well to launching and burnouts. If you do go auto the 700r4 is probably the best option for you.

Are you 2wd or 4wd?

There have been rumors about a t-5 bellhousing adapter, but I'm not sure if they're out yet. The T-5 is a very nice trans, the choice depends on if you want to stay auto or make the jump to stick. Advance Adapters does make a tailshaft adapter to retain the stock transfer case if you're 4wd.

What's the difference in a T5 and a T5 World Class? Ratios?

The WC is a beefier trans, designed to handle way more torque and GVWR.

It would be for a 4wd, problem is finding what bellhousing to use on the 4.0 motor???

hunterep said:
It would be for a 4wd, problem is finding what bellhousing to use on the 4.0 motor???

Yes. The T-5 never came behind the 4.0 Ford.

If you want a manual trans for a stock 4.0 OHV, why not use the entire setup from a 5spd explorer or ranger? The trans, and all its accessories would bolt right in. Many members have done this conversion with great success. Not only is it easier, but MUCH cheaper. the 4wd tailshaft for the T-5 is close to 500 alone, and that does not include the bellhousing (if availible). Also, if you swap in a T-5, you'll have to fab a new crossmember, redo your driveshafts, etc etc.

From what I have priced, doing a mazda 5 spd, will cost near what a 700r4 will. By the time you get the flywheel, clutch, master, slave, hoses, pedals, shifter, boot, computer, starter, and tranny. You looking at dang near the same as a a4ld to 700r4 swap with adapters. Ive been hearing the mazdas dont hold up well?? Mine in my 2wd Explorer is holding up well but its still low on the od. My Ranger is on its 3rd A4lD in 140k. Im meticulous in my services so I know its not on my end. Either the rebuilds are bad, or Im driving it to much like a truck.

Back