AltShiftKill

Reaction score
City, State
Grants Pass Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
SSPX0102.jpg

SSPX0128.jpg

Okay first off a big thanks to every one on this site.

First thing I decided to do was paint the grey plastic trim black. I used Bondo restore black that i purchased at Wal-mart for $9.99. I chose this for a couple of different reasons, The Bondo is more like a dye than a paint so it does not scratch easily and it does not stick to your paint so it wipes off easily and you do not need to remove the trim or mask.

SSPX0086.jpg

SSPX0100.jpg

SSPX0087.jpg

SSPX0088.jpg

SSPX0098.jpg

Second I removed the wheels to install the new 275/55/20 with black and silver Rims.
SSPX0096.jpg

I had to remove the westin nerf bars because I hit a rock last summer and bent the brackets on the passenger side so the new wheels would not fit.
SSPX0099-1.jpg

While the wheels were off i decided to paint the brake calipers. I bought a caliper painting kit from Schucks for $19.99. The kit came with caliper cleaner, masking tape brush and paint(I chose red). The caliper paint seems really durable and very shiny.
SSPX0103.jpg

SSPX0108.jpg

I wanted to stop right here because i noticed a bent dust cover the guys at les schwab told me that i needed a new wheel bearing up front and it was squeeling. I purchased a new hub but i wanted to bend this back and see if the noise stops.
SSPX0107.jpg

I then started putting the wheels back on and noticed about a two inch lift from the new tires.
SSPX0101.jpg

The camera is level with the 20's on the passenger side and stock 16's on the driver side
SSPX0105.jpg

I bought a billet grill from ebay(used) $30 shipped and it intstalled in minutes by removing four plastic screws. I replaced these with Stainless steel hardware for less than a dollar
SSPX0106.jpg

SSPX0111.jpg

After installing the grill I decided that i wanted to paint it black along with the headlights. I bought fusion plastic paint for the headlights and flat black metal Krylon for the grill. I followed a forum on this sight to paint the headlamps and primed sanded and sprayed the grill
SSPX0116.jpg

SSPX0118.jpg

SSPX0117.jpg

SSPX0120.jpg

SSPX0122.jpg

SSPX0125.jpg

SSPX0124.jpg

I am currently waiting on lower billet with hidden lights to be installed and i debadged everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you paint the reflective part of the headlight assembly where the light from the bulb reflects?

yes he did...

fella i gotta see how the light reflects like that, cause you may have shot yourself in the foot...

Like the colors! As IZ and Maestro Caldwell said, if you did, your headlights are going to be about useless... :)

yes he did...

fella i gotta see how the light reflects like that, cause you may have shot yourself in the foot...

Caldwell is right... Time to fab in some projectors...

yeah man.. you need the reflecter cones... or else the light goes nowhere...

they do look good though!...:thumbsup:

I love that color ex, great idea too. I think they would look awesome color matched instead of black.

Nice work man, I like it.....but...

1. As others have already pointed out, you probably shouldnt have painted the reflective surface inside the lights.

2. No where do you mention adjusting for the larger tyre size. When you go from stocks to 20's, generally you go with a 275/45 as this is very close to the stock size. You've gone bigger, so if you dont adjust your PCM, your speedo will be off.

Check this tyre size calc, best one I've found so far.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

painted reflectors or no---- That truck looks HOT! Good Job!

First thing I decided to do was paint the grey plastic trim black. I used Bondo restore black that i purchased at Wal-mart for $9.99. I chose this for a couple of different reasons, The Bondo is more like a dye than a paint so it does not scratch easily and it does not stick to your paint so it wipes off easily and you do not need to remove the trim or mask.

Your Ex looks great. Headlights might be toast though. I have the same color as you and planned on painting the crappy trim black with Krylon Fusion. I must say the way you did it intrigues me. Does it just wipe on? Is it permanent or just a "cover-up"? Did you have enough to to the complete truck? Thanks.

dang it looks sharp now nice touch with the headlights i might have to try that if it wasnt too hard what size r your tires ive been wantin to change sizes on ours

Your Ex looks great. Headlights might be toast though. I have the same color as you and planned on painting the crappy trim black with Krylon Fusion. I must say the way you did it intrigues me. Does it just wipe on? Is it permanent or just a "cover-up"? Did you have enough to to the complete truck? Thanks.

Yea I love this....looks like I might have to source some of it this weekend...

Thanks to every one for the compliments YES I PAINTED THE HEADLAMPS ALL BLACK
Three reasons for this
1. going with hidden lights behind lower grill
2. have an extra set in closet
3. I love the look.
I would not recommend doing this because you can not see anything without added driving lights

It wipes on with a sponge that comes with the kit i should say it takes several coats and one kit did the whole truck i would have to recommend dabbing when
the coat starts to dry or it will leave a streak effect. I tried to scratch it off and it is on there good gas pressure washer would not get it off either

Nice work man, I like it.....but...

1. As others have already pointed out, you probably shouldnt have painted the reflective surface inside the lights.

2. No where do you mention adjusting for the larger tyre size. When you go from stocks to 20's, generally you go with a 275/45 as this is very close to the stock size. You've gone bigger, so if you dont adjust your PCM, your speedo will be off.

Check this tyre size calc, best one I've found so far.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

My speedo is off it reads 55 when i am going 51 not sure if i am going to fix this or not. I might go with a smaller tire but i love these ones.
No rubs plus it lifted the x a little

lookin good

Thanks to every one for the compliments YES I PAINTED THE HEADLAMPS ALL BLACK
Three reasons for this
1. going with hidden lights behind lower grill
2. have an extra set in closet
3. I love the look.
I would not recommend doing this because you can not see anything without added driving lights

Cool... Love the look to... wish there was a way for them to still be functional though...

maybe if the reflector cones were smoked instead of blacked out... like with R/C tint spray....?:scratch: hmmm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I love this....looks like I might have to source some of it this weekend...

I will be doing the same!

It wipes on with a sponge that comes with the kit i should say it takes several coats and one kit did the whole truck i would have to recommend dabbing when
the coat starts to dry or it will leave a streak effect. I tried to scratch it off and it is on there good gas pressure washer would not get it off either

Thanks, I think I'm going to try this. I'll see how it holds up during the winter. If it doesn't hold up then I will paint the trim as planned in the spring.

Back