750 dollars and a day with my X | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

750 dollars and a day with my X

Nice Job!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove wheel and measure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks

Hey Big Rondo:

Thanks for the response to my question. So you used Bondo Restore Black Kit for the trim......What did you use the Krylon Black Fusion for? I apologize for my limited understanding. But, want to do it right the first time as long as it works....

If dabbing am thinking at some point one would have to smooth it out so one would have to wipe eventually.... and on my 2003 Explorer Sport the rear bumper is gray as well so am assuming that I would use Bondo there as well...

How about cleaning the gray trim; Krylon suggests that you don't have do anything....but what did you do in preparing the trim when using Bondo?

Appreciate your patience and sharing.

louski

Hey Big Rondo:

Thanks for the response to my question. So you used Bondo Restore Black Kit for the trim......What did you use the Krylon Black Fusion for? I apologize for my limited understanding. But, want to do it right the first time as long as it works....

If dabbing am thinking at some point one would have to smooth it out so one would have to wipe eventually.... and on my 2003 Explorer Sport the rear bumper is gray as well so am assuming that I would use Bondo there as well...

How about cleaning the gray trim; Krylon suggests that you don't have do anything....but what did you do in preparing the trim when using Bondo?

Appreciate your patience and sharing.

louski

louski, I think you might be confused. I saw this thread and that's why I didn't use the forever black. AltShiftKill is the one who used the bondo restore black. I'm going to use that in the spring. Start reading this thread from the first post, he explains how he put on the restore black. I know they say you don't have to do anything when using the fusion but when I used it I sanded: How To: Paint Rear Pillar Trim

It is called RESTORE Black, not turn your old grey to black kit....

WARNING ....not so thrilled how this turned out.

I thought I would try this but had some reservations based on the packaging yet like a dolt pressed on. The package says last up to 6 months (Huh? I thought this was one and done) and oh by the way it is to RESTORE black, not turn grey to black. If they had something like Restore GREY I bet this would be a different story.

IF you elect to do this buy two bottles, also buy the foam brushes. I bought a couple of sizes (.50 each at walmart) and way better than the applicator. The applicator is huge and will drink up half of your bottle of product. My wife and I spent about 1.5 hrs putting this on the plastic; around and around we went. I did the bigger surfaces and she did the edge trim and crannies. It does dry fast but it needs to be dry or your next coat will remove some of the product.

The first coat was awful, grey was showing through and it looked like hell. As I applied coat after coat, things got better. I'm still not 100% satisfied with the job. I will buy another bottle and re-apply next time the weather permits.

I only put this on the grey trim, I didn't have enough to do the black running boards and flat surface on the back bumper. I did do the thin black deflection shield waaaay under the front bumper. It worked GREAT there as the thin shield is black (remember RESTORE black). With the second bottle I will do more coats on the grey and also do the black running boards and rear bumper.

I think this works fine on black, I am not thrilled I may have to re-apply at the 6 month point (suspect it will require less coats).

IF you can remove all your trim like on our '01 Sport then suggest you take everything off and use Krylon Fusion "Satin" in color of your choice as we had great results with that. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295131

In the 3rd photo you can see the variations in the black and note the dark black drop that dripped onto the running board. These photos were late in the day with little sun. Trust me it doesn't look this good in full up sun mid-day. My son did mention that it would look really good at night.....love that kid!:mad:

I will add photos of this after another treatment (couple more coats) and I do the actual black trim, and then maybe a few pics at the 2-3 month point.

If you want further details PM me.

Attachments

• 002 for posting.jpg
    002 for posting.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 003 for posting.jpg
    003 for posting.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 485
  • 006 for posting.jpg
    006 for posting.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 466
  • 008 for posting.jpg
    008 for posting.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 472

F15E_WSO, thanks for the review. I plan on doing this on mine and have had the stuff for a while but the winter beat me to the punch. I also bought the foam brushes. It looked like AltShiftKill had good results. Your Sport came out awesome! I may rethink this and go with the fusion instead.

Looking forward to the pics.

F15E_WSO, thanks for the review. I plan on doing this on mine and have had the stuff for a while but the winter beat me to the punch. I also bought the foam brushes. It looked like AltShiftKill had good results. Your Sport came out awesome! I may rethink this and go with the fusion instead.

Looking forward to the pics.

Big Rondo,
just added some pics, doing some smoked BBQ chicken so had a few minutes.

Don't be fooled, the pics are from late in the day and look much better now than when the sun was full up on the work. I'm afraid next time I walk up to the truck in full sun in a parking lot I'll call the cops to catch the kids who vandalized my truck!

Let me get another coat on the trim, see how it wears. I will say this, this was cheaper and faster than the Krylon Fusion.

--------------------

7 Days later, the areas where the Restore Black is sticking is fine, I waxed the truck the weekend prior and I must have gotten wax on the plastic trim, that peeled right away. My plan is next time the weather is good to wipe down the plastic with acetone or rubbing alcohol, remove all the wax and re-apply.

In the long term, I will just paint this on periodically and keep the trim black, it will look fine and way better than the washed out and streaked grey I had before.

If any are thinking of doing this, be sure your trim is clean(LOL) and know that it will take more than one coat if you are NOT starting with black. Also know that re-applying will be needed but suspect it is a 15 min job when you are just doing touch-up.

Thanks for the pics. I guess the only real way to turn the trim black is to paint it. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Enjoy the chicken!!
chicken.gif

Nice to see that this thread is still in action. I completely ripped the plastics off of my old 03 xlt sanded, primed with filler primer, and painted with plastic bumper trim paint. It held up well....

HOW ABOUT THAT TIRE SIZE?? I like the way this explorer sits!! BUT I went to town fair tire and they swore up and down that this would rub like hell so now i'm stuck on what to do. I really want to get the same tire setup. Do any of you guys have any input!? thanks!

Nice to see that this thread is still in action. I completely ripped the plastics off of my old 03 xlt sanded, primed with filler primer, and painted with plastic bumper trim paint. It held up well....

HOW ABOUT THAT TIRE SIZE?? I like the way this explorer sits!! BUT I went to town fair tire and they swore up and down that this would rub like hell so now i'm stuck on what to do. I really want to get the same tire setup. Do any of you guys have any input!? thanks!

No rubs lock to lock I don't know what else to say

Any recent pics of your truck??! Man i like the way that thing came out lol

Standing by for pics....................................:popcorn:

working on getting more pics and hopefully some kind of video for the guys at town fair tire so they can swear up and down on somethiong else i have the day off tomorrow so i will be working on it first thing i am sorry to those that have been waiting for recent pics

That'd be great because I'm considering taking a little road trip to pick up a set of 275 55 20 tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back