• Register Today It's free!

92 Ex Trans replacement options

gforceman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited 4.6 V8
i was wondering if any of these trannys from these vehicals will work in my 92 Ex since finding one from a explorer is hard to find in a junky where i live

Aerostar 85-95................................4.........................A4LD
Bronco II 84-90................................4........................A4LD
Ranger 85-94...................................4.......................A4LD
Explorer 91-94..................................4........................A4LD
Navajo 91-94...................................4.......................A4LD

Any '88+ A4LD (2 solenoids in the valve body) from a Ranger/BII/Explorer with a Cologne engine (2.8, 2.9, 4.0) should bolt up to your Explorer without modification. However, unless the 2.8/2.9 A4LD has been rebuilt and updated to 4.0 specs, I don't know how well they will hold up behind your 4.0.

An '85 to '87 A4LD will only have one solenoid in the valve body, and will require some minor electric work to make your '92 computer happy.

An A4LD from a 4.0 Aerostar should also work, but may require some minor modification (such as tranny dipstick).

From what I've been told, the A4LD has a removeable bellhousing, so an A4LD from other engines should also bolt into your Explorer if you swap bellhousings. Again, though, the A4LD behind a 4.0 is built a little stronger than the other engines, so it may not hold up as well unless it gets rebuilt to 4.0 specs.

You don't say if your '92 is 4wd or 2wd. You can convert between 2wd and 4wd transmission by changing the tailshaft and housing, but that requires completely disassembling the transmission. It would seem to me the point of using a junkyard tranny is to avoid the costs and hassle of dissassembling/rebuilding the transmission, so it would make sense to me to make sure to get the right version transmission up front.

Back