92 Ford F150 Manual Transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Ford F150 Manual Transmission

I picked up a bushing kit on ebay for my M5OD R1. I think cost me 45 bucks and that was the better price I found at the time. A quick google search brought me from a forum post link to here http://allstategear.com/M50D Shifter Repair Kit.htm so that's another option. I attempted to make my own bushings from some thick plastic washers I scrounged up but the pins that align the ball in the socket were worn and liked to work their way out of the transmission housing. The fit of my custom bushing wasn't great either so the kit was worth it in the end.

Looks like Rockauto carries them now. I checked there when I made this post and didn't see them so perhaps they're a new addition. $13.22 plus shipping, Dorman part #917551

Got my bushings... as everyone else has said it's a night and day difference. Now, My truck started up just fine. It ran for a few minutes then started to smoke a teeny bit. White smoke. I assume it's just from not running for 6 months. Today, I went to put it in reverse, nothing but grinding. I'm at a loss and so disappointed.

So I replied but it seems it didn't show up. I got the bushings I needed from a local transmission shop. I THOUGHT I got the clutch bled but I don't think I did because It grinds when I tried putting it in reverse LOL! so, once my dad gets done with dinner, we're probably gonna go do that. I'll take pics if I can for bleeding the clutch or even a vid.

How does the clutch pedal feel when you press it? It should feel firm with a fairly uniform pedal effort the whole way down, not progressively harder and spongy. If it's spongy then you probably haven't gotten all the air out and it's not releasing the clutch enough or at all. Does it grind when you try to put it into any other gears? If not, I found with my 89 I had to put the transmission into first to stop the gears in the transmission from rotating, then shift into reverse. If I pushed the clutch pedal and then tried to go straight to reverse it would grind every time.

Back