1992 F-150 Problem (TRANSMISsION!!!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 F-150 Problem (TRANSMISsION!!!)

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
We rebuilt the E4OD transmission in a F-150 with a 302 in it. We installed a higher stall converter for the built engine and also installed a shift kit into the transmision as well.

the problem is that when put into Drive, the transmission acts really weird and almost won't shift, if it is at all. We thought it might have been a bad neutral safety switch being out of adjustment, so we adjusted it and it ran great, but only when we manually selected the gears.

When we put the transmision into 1 and 2 it runs great, but when we are at a stop and we put it into D it almost goes out, it'll pull but just barely. When we try to shift back down to 1 it won't go...

Any ideas?

Battery is currently disconnected so the truck can relearn everything. I wanna sya the new torque converter is a 2200-2400 converter, but that's whats required with the cam and pistons in the engine..

Thought appreciated!

i have a f350 with the e4od, i found out the hard way that the tranny uses the tach to shift. no tach signal=horrible tranny killing shifting.
if your rpms are really off now due to the engine and converter is prob trying to shift at the wrong times.
just an idea. may or may not have anything to do with whats going on

Ford had so many changes to the E4OD over the years that a rebuild is rarely successful without knowing complete history and existing parts.

Back