94 Bearhug survival thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Bearhug survival thread

Think it's actually 3.27 but I'll have to double check on that. I consider myself lucky I've not encountered any transmission issues yet (at 133k). Still shifts like butter.

Got a three day weekend coming up so planning to do some little odds and ends on the Explorer. Have a fun idea/project in mind.

- Finish up the manual hub swap and install new bearings (or perhaps look into the new rotors, good tip MrQ!).
- Make a DIY awning attached to roof rack, and/or install a tarp to the rear interior that folds out when I open the trunk. Gonna do some brainstorming with folks at work today to see what options are. Not sure if I want to go super cheap with blue tarp or perhaps something a bit fancier. Will keep y'all in the loop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.27's, really? Huh, that's surprising; good gas mileage, but acceleration must be a like watching molasses flow uphill in an Alaskan winter. :D

Ha! Driving up a steep hill can take some patience. Gas mileage nothing spectacular. 10-12 mpg in the winter on studded 31s, and 13-14 in the summer on stock 29s -- mostly city. On the highway I can sometimes hit 15 if I'm lucky :thumbsup:

Overdue update: Got the right side mile marker on. With the help of some tiny laptop repair tools I have was able to extract that stubborn locking key on the stock assembly -- small enough to fit around the locking key but strong enough to give me leverage to pull. Threw it in the trash immediately. Summer 31s acquired so rolling two inches higher 365 now.

Been tinkering with the awning idea -- mocked up some prototypes -- but on the backburner for the moment.

Long overdue update: The old reliable 94 is still running strong and is my daily driver. Still has a a rear main leak, le meh. Been a few years since I posted so thought I'd put up some fun updates:

-Billet grille installed
- New 94 specific headlights with built in DLR and clear corners. Looks sick! I'll post a photo when I can.
- Amplifier installed running to each speaker (kickers all around).
- Roof basket installed.
- General maintenance stuff over the years (alternator, battery,).
- Someone tried to steal it about a year back. Saw the thing on security camera. Used a slim jim and got in the car in under 10 seconds. Attempted to drill out the ignition and spent 10 minutes in my car trying to get it out. Eventually a security car for the property passed by and spooked him. Now always use a club on my vehicle. Replacing the ignition cylinder was fairly straightforward.

Beyond basic maintenance I've experienced no major hiccups in the past 3 years with the Ford. Running like a champ.

I suggest getting an Interstate battery at Costco. Good quality and a real good price.
Usually, alignment shops will refuse to align if your ballpoints are sloppy, so the shop that did align it shouldn't have.
Why did you replace tierods? Old ones get bent?
To add to the alignment conversation. I have used an alignment rack for my truck at both of my jobs and it's really hard to set the steering wheel straight with steering boxes especially if it has play.

To add to the alignment conversation. I have used an alignment rack for my truck at both of my jobs and it's really hard to set the steering wheel straight with steering boxes especially if it has play.
Yeah, I hear you. Got aligned by another shop about two years back. Drives fairly straight but still getting some tire wear on the tread closest to the car. the steering wheel is just barely off kilter too. Also alot of play in the steering wheel which has been an issue ever since I bought it. Just learned to live with it haha.

Glad to hear your Explorer is doing so good. I purchased mine about a year and a half ago and have not drove it a super amount. I towed it home when I bought it. I have put a lot of time into it lately and have made some progress. Mine drives pretty straight but clunks when stopping and taking off. I think its my axle pivot bushings( lots of work to replace) but I have drove it on a couple 100 mile plus trips. Your post makes me like mine better knowing you like yours. Mine probably has 250,000 but it runs good. I have calculated 17 mpg ish because my gauge didn't work. I think I fixed it though. I like the Fords I have owned and believe they can make some amazing transportation .

Back