97 Explorer SOHC ,5spd swap, PCM ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer SOHC ,5spd swap, PCM ???

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
Please help, I have 97 Explorer thats is SOHC 4.0 was an automatic, I have swapped in a 5spd, it runs and drives but is throwing some codes, has hesitation and lack of power that it should. I did not swap the PCM, here are the codes, these all relate to tranny issues from what I researched P0708, P0743, P0750, P0755, P0760, P0765. But here are 2 other non related to tranny codes
---PO113 *Intake air temp sensor* & P0351 Ignition coil A Primary/secondary malfunction*

---My main question is I know i need to fix those 2 issues so those are not issues, but will the remaining 6 tanny codes, cause PCM to not allow it to run right and still cause issues?
Do I have to have PCM from 5spd SOHC explorer, and more than likley 97/98 right??

Please help, must having running good in less than 2 weeks for CCR09 trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you swap the computer for one with a manual tranny?

No, i did not swap the computer *PCM* Listed above.

Did you swap the computer for one with a manual tranny?

But wouldn't swapping the ecm introduce a while new set of problems? (such as GEM/PATS/etc.....)

I think your best bet is to get a custom tune. Call James at Henson Performance. Not only will this solve your tranny code issues, but you can get better performance out of the motor as well.

97 didn't have pats on the explorer.. I've never seen a 97 with it. 98 was probably the official start. The GEM needs to be flashed or swapped over.

97 didn't have pats on the explorer.. I've never seen a 97 with it. 98 was probably the official start. The GEM needs to be flashed or swapped over.

oops...I knew that! :) Still, by the time you buy a used ECM, and pay the dealer to flash the GEM, that's money that would go a long way towards a flash tuner/tuner, plus the you get the actual perfromance tune and not just getting rid of the codes. Just seem like a better value to me.

Ok guys, i fixed the 2 issues that were not tranny codes, and runs fine now, my coil pack was bad and Iat sensor now hooked up.

I will rephrase, runs fine, but has weird loss of power every now and then like you are turning the key off, usually between 2000-2500, under quick acceleration, i think the computer thinks tranny is slipping and acting up.
If some could proved me #'s on there SOHC 4.0 5spd factory explorer , doesnt matter year to me at this point or a vin # so when im checking with ford i can get in the right direction, or shoot me a PM with you vin # thanx so Much.

Back