'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally

Well, it all started with me breaking an axle on friday. Had to drop the diff to get the broken shaft piece out. Then the seal was ruined as well, scrapping a trip that i had planned for 2 weeks in advanced for on saturday.

I was thinking, why waste 50 bucks on the ifs axle when im gonna be ripping it out shortly. So i called my buddy and we started tearing into the mounty at 6:30 pm until 10pm, and monday from 2-10pm. We are on hold for parts so we can make brackets.

I have 2 Rustys off road 180 pound coils, 24" extened, we calculated that it should be around 18 inches compressed. As for the suspension design, its getting a triangulated 4 link. It kinda helps when you are friends with a suspensions engineer.

Well heres the progress so far. More to come next monday.
1185331202.jpg

1185325202.jpg

1185325203.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im actually getting a little more than that. My mileage reads slow. Say if i got 100 miles i actually go 110 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.13's are in, have been for a week.

Also the steering stabilizer has been mounted. Night and day difference.

Aric, NO CONVERSION JOINT!!. The expedition driveshaft bolteds right up.....I was pretty surprised. Also, the u-joint for the front bolted right up to the d60 too, and i dont need to lengthen or shorten either the rear or front shafts. The increased lengths of the diffs make up for the hieght. Actully my rear shaft is a bit long, but i still need to raise the rear 3-4 inches so it should be perfect length when all is said and done.

Brake lines will be hard all the way to the ends, then stainless braided lines from the frame to the axles. I'm hoping i dont need to swap my master, but if i do, oh well, i have one with the cruise control from a f-350 so it shouldnt be a problem.

what front and rear drive shaft did u use with ur 4406 manual transfer case???

That **** is nice!

Last Summer, around august i swapped the crushed body, and then my friend and i did a coil over conversion and brought the height down some.

Front suspension almost completely unloaded. Had an issue with the transmission pump not picking up the fluid in the pan since i was so vertical..all forward movement stopped.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtojk--T1M

good to hear you're still around man!

Those pictures are sick! wish i had more free time to get my junk done.

Yeah man that is looking stinking awesome. Great Job

Oh and what is the size of that trailer? Im in the looking stage :)

28 foot

Have you come up wtih a fix for the transmission on steep inclines? Mine does the same thing, comes out of gear on steep climbs.

I went ZF 5spd in my ranger, no more worries about autos (oh autos make me mad) :)

Back