'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8's Manual 4406 swap..finally

Well Finally my parts are coming in for my t-case swap. My t-case will be here Wednesday. My driveshafts and gas tank on Monday. Friday i will begin the swap. Hopefully it will be done within the day.

I did buy a shift linkage from a 97 f-150. Now i just have to figure out where to put it becuase of the center console interferance.

As V8boatbuilders thread indicated, i bought a rear driveshaft froma 97 Expedition, and front froma 97 f-150. THe wrecking yard was kind enough to include new u-joints on the shafts. The gas tank is out of a 97 sport.
The transfer case is out of a 1997 f-150. Its a 4406 manual with a speedo hole for the VSS thankfully.

Since i'll have the t-case out, im going to go ahead and replace the transmission mount bushing with a polyurethane mount. Does daystar make one for the 4r70w?

My only concern is how im going to get the center console out. Im going to search around on the forum to see how i can remove it. If you have any suggestion on the shift linkage set up, im all ears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well its bolted to the transmission. 2 bolts hold the thing on. It will obviously be on the drivers side. Im going to search online for ya and look for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i couldnt find jack either. The ford dealer pulled up a diagram for me when i went thier and printed it out. The yard guy will know what your talking about.

[QUOTE='97 V8]i couldnt find jack either. The ford dealer pulled up a diagram for me when i went thier and printed it out. The yard guy will know what your talking about.[/QUOTE]

I called a dealer and asked about the linkage for a 2000 and they said no parts or diagram were available.... they must not know wtf they are talking about.

Linkage found and free from the yard where I got my case. I got it all put in, including the shifter & boot. It all seems to be working ok, I guess time will tell. My only concern is after driving about 15 miles, I crawled back under to check everything out, and the trans and case were almost too hot to touch. I could touch them but not for very long. Is that normal?

Im going to be gone for the weekend, back Sunday, I will post pictures of the linkage and install then.

linkage came off what vehicle?

I have located several mid 90's Bronco's with manual shift t case (BW 1345 I believe) I think this linkage may work (may need slight mods)??

I am still looking for expedition rear d shaft......hard to find! Lots of F-150's though.....

mountaineergree said:
Linkage found and free from the yard where I got my case. I got it all put in, including the shifter & boot. It all seems to be working ok, I guess time will tell. My only concern is after driving about 15 miles, I crawled back under to check everything out, and the trans and case were almost too hot to touch. I could touch them but not for very long. Is that normal?

Im going to be gone for the weekend, back Sunday, I will post pictures of the linkage and install then.

The shifter on the case should be pointing at an angle towards the back of the vehicle. If its straight up horizonatal, that means your in 4wd. This is how the case works.

2hi 4hi 4lo......now heres the thing, coming from 4 lo you have it like this 4lo NUETRAL 4hi 2hi

the linkage needs to come out of a 1997-2003 f-150 witha manual. the linkage pivots on the transmission mount.

I would almost say to function properly, the linkage must come from a 4406 equiped manual shift vehicle. The shifter has a shfit gate function which works very well. It all bolts right in, no modification needed.

Any thoughts on connecting the indicator lights? My wife drives mine some and Id hate for her to accidentally get it into 4HI and drive a long way.

97-V8- how did you attach your boot? Ive got to come up with a better solution, my transplanted boot from the F150 is in my way.

The stick first of all needs to be installed the other way. I had to cut the boot down alot. I cut it as if it was molded into the tranny hump. That way i didnt have excessive boot bothering me.

You know it could also depend how you sit in your seat. I sit a ways back but the seat is at full hieght.

Right, i turned the stick the other way, it would hit the dash otherwise. What I meant was how did you attach the boot to the carpet or body?

I sit all the way back, but my calf rubs against the shifter boot housing thing. I think if I get just a boot it may work. Im looking for an aftermarket boot now.

oh now i know what you mean. I just used the boot and glued it to the carpet.

Back