'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 V8 D60/70HD swap.....finally

Well, it all started with me breaking an axle on friday. Had to drop the diff to get the broken shaft piece out. Then the seal was ruined as well, scrapping a trip that i had planned for 2 weeks in advanced for on saturday.

I was thinking, why waste 50 bucks on the ifs axle when im gonna be ripping it out shortly. So i called my buddy and we started tearing into the mounty at 6:30 pm until 10pm, and monday from 2-10pm. We are on hold for parts so we can make brackets.

I have 2 Rustys off road 180 pound coils, 24" extened, we calculated that it should be around 18 inches compressed. As for the suspension design, its getting a triangulated 4 link. It kinda helps when you are friends with a suspensions engineer.

Well heres the progress so far. More to come next monday.
1185331202.jpg

1185325202.jpg

1185325203.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap... I guess Chris was right when he said almost the whole wheel was outside of the fenders...

Ill give you that ride you wanted in my X if I can get a ride in your Mounty when its finished...

haha ok.

slvrane...i plan to get rid of the body lift. Also the front should lower itself once the springs are broken in.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

With the wheels sticking out as far as they are, you could probably lower the truck 2 feet and still get full articulation:eek:

trucks on hold for now. I have to bleed the brakes, swap a tie rod end and mount a sway bar.

Reason its been on hold since thursday is im dow with tonsillitus...bad. I have 0 energy.I should start working on it again tuesday night.

Hope you feel better soon! How did those springs work out for you?

hope you feel better....it must suck not being able to finish your truck especially being so close to being done.

okie. So my pedal goes straight to the floor. I anticipated this in january and i had already bought a f-350 master cylinder. However i asked on izwacks thread if it was the MC just to be sure. Today the master will be going on bypassing the ABS.

As for my width, im removing the Dually hubs. Im going to place the rear spacers up front. Its just too wide the way it is and it makes steering pure hell.

holy crap!!! thats sweet well i now kno exactly wut im doin to mine!! lol
kick ass build!

does the 350 master cylinder matter year wise? is it a simple remove and replace job? I'm soooo glad you are doing this ahead of me (did i tell you that yet?)

does the 350 master cylinder matter year wise? is it a simple remove and replace job? I'm soooo glad you are doing this ahead of me (did i tell you that yet?)

mines from a 97. The master bolted right up. i now have stock brake pedal feel back. i have to put in my proprtioning valve from jegs tomorrow.

I also ghetto flexed it in my backyard on the hilled flower bed. pics tomorrow.

mines from a 97. The master bolted right up. i now have stock brake pedal feel back. i have to put in my proprtioning valve from jegs tomorow.

I also ghetto flexed it in my backyard on the hilled flower bed. pics today.

fixed it for you:D

So how are those pictures coming along? And any other progress to report?

ef won't resize my pictures :(

progress: Swapped out front hubs and removed the rear spacer. It now looks a lot better. I have a leaking rear axle seal that won't go away after throwing 2 seals at it. I finally got the correct seal today and will be putting it in in the morning. Now i will be able to stop somewhat decently again as it bathed the pad and rotor(and the back of the truck) in gear oil.
I have a fualty brake line. It shoots fluid from inbetween the fitting and tube. I have to replace that tomorrow morning as well.

I'm stealing my brothers camera so i will have pics hopefully soon.

I got all excited when i seen this at the top of the list tonight. Your killing me man. Get a up date going ha ha

Gettin' close:D

Sorry that i havent been able to get any pics yet. I've been super busy with work and school. Hopefully Thursday i can get some pictures of her flexed on an RTI ramp or something similar.

As promised.

Tire is there as a step. I couldnt get up the hood of the car without pushing the car.

i'll get daytime pics tomorrow.

S5031272.JPG
S5031268.JPG
S5031269.JPG
S5031271.JPG
S5031272.JPG

Back