Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here you go just like I said they don't come pressed on the guy who wrote that article is on crack. He probably didn't even do the work just wrote it. LMAO
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f251/superior-superior-axle-771864/

03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Good installation instructions. Dual lug pattern option. Added width to overall axle. Elimination of C-clips. Larger Set 20 bearings.
Cons: Bearings/Seals will need to be pressed on axle shafts prior to installation
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased the Superior Super 88 Kit as a hopeful end all to my rear axle shaft problems. Funny thing was I was actually bending stock shafts/flanges (not breaking shafts...BUT I did break some Yukon Alloy shafts. Mind you I've been on 37"s the entire time. Short of buying a custom rear axle I wanted to give the Super 88 kit a shot. Installation was fairly easy and can be done in less than a couple hours after having the bearings/seals pressed on. I have had the kit on my Jeep for over a year now and lots of trail time. So far I'm very impressed!!

Wow. That Peterson article has been floating around for a while now, and is what most of us who ever thought of doing this kit has been going off of. :rolleyes:

The only reason I even thought of going back to it, is because of the time frame you mentioned. Petersons article says it can be done in a driveway in an hour. :eek:

Thanks for your enlightenment on this. Really shows that hands on experience tells the real story. :thumbsup:

Now I know, it's not as easy as they make it seem. Figures!

If it wasn't for the bearings the job would have been about hour to an hour and half. Took me about 30-45 mins to cut the tubes and put on the spacers. They give you special nuts to seat the spacers.

On another note I am should be picking up a 94 Sport this weekend for my 3rd Ford SAS. It is that bright blue color. Trying to figure out a project name for it. I think it should have blue in the name. Blue Balls... LOL maybe not that one. If anyone can think of a good one let me know. :D

Stang, where'd you buy the 88 kit from? I'm in need of new axles and gears, etc... since I hit a patch of black ice the other day on the way to work and took out my rearend when it hit into a 8" curb. Link to more info and pictures...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352607

Insurance is gonna cover it but I can get stronger axles then oem for cheaper then I wanna go that route. Plus they have the C clip eliminator and dual bolt pattern for when I do my SAS, bonus.

Was the shop able to get the other bearing pressed on? I had a question about the kit, you said you had to cut the end of the axle where the old seal and bearings go on? do you have a before picture? Sorry I'm not too familar with the 8.8's on these new vehicles, the last rearend I built up on a 4wd was on my old '79 Scout II back in the '90's. Any help, tips, info, pictures or links would be awesome. Thanks

I really like the rear bumper and tire carrier design too.

Stang, where'd you buy the 88 kit from? I'm in need of new axles and gears, etc... since I hit a patch of black ice the other day on the way to work and took out my rearend when it hit into a 8" curb. Link to more info and pictures...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352607

Insurance is gonna cover it but I can get stronger axles then oem for cheaper then I wanna go that route. Plus they have the C clip eliminator and dual bolt pattern for when I do my SAS, bonus.

Was the shop able to get the other bearing pressed on? I had a question about the kit, you said you had to cut the end of the axle where the old seal and bearings go on? do you have a before picture? Sorry I'm not too familar with the 8.8's on these new vehicles, the last rearend I built up on a 4wd was on my old '79 Scout II back in the '90's. Any help, tips, info, pictures or links would be awesome. Thanks

I really like the rear bumper and tire carrier design too.
The first pic I posted of installing the axle shafts is of the tube before I cut. It is the one with wheel bearing pulling tool waiting for me to thread up my slide hammer. As for as the shafts and if you need gears and other parts call Alex at PORC tell him Josh Jones sent you. I get most of my stuff from him. As far as the shop pressing the bearing they got the bearing which I could have done but they could not get the retainer so I going to use some heat and try and if that doesn't work I am calling Yukon and getting a new one. All the other shafts pressed on fine so I have no clue what the deal is.

Thanks for pointing out the differences before and after before for the tube, I was up for 26 hours straight (work and 6month old son cutting teeth) so I had a brain fart. With the kit you still have use of the factory parking brake shoes and rotors? Or do you have to move upto F-150 hardware? Just google PORC and it'll show up or are they a site vendor? Again thanks for all the help, I just wanna get my rig back on the road and trail ready. Been driving around in my wife's '97 V8 AWD Mounty and it's killing me in gas.

Thanks for pointing out the differences before and after before for the tube, I was up for 26 hours straight (work and 6month old son cutting teeth) so I had a brain fart. With the kit you still have use of the factory parking brake shoes and rotors? Or do you have to move upto F-150 hardware? Just google PORC and it'll show up or are they a site vendor? Again thanks for all the help, I just wanna get my rig back on the road and trail ready. Been driving around in my wife's '97 V8 AWD Mounty and it's killing me in gas.

Here is full right up about the Superior kit installed in TJ 8.8.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/super88/super88-2.htm

Here is a link. I talked to him a few days ago. He is in Disney World right now should be back Monday.
http://performanceoffroadcenter.com/

Late post to previous page, the finish tire carrier pic is incredible. That is by far the coolest design I have ever seen. Nice Work!!!

Thanks for the link. I'll give him a call on Monday. Is there a specific part # for the Ford 8.8 kit? Couldn't seem to find it on the site, tried to search under drivetrain/ axle kits then doing a site search for Ultimate 88 kit but no go. ???

Are you still going to upgrade the 8.8 if you're sticking a D60 under the front? Or will you slowly build up the D60 and enjoy the Merc the way it is for now?

Thought the D30 was working just fine. Why the change of heart?

Oh...what did the shop charge to press on those bearings? (might have missed it)
They were going to charge me 30 bucks(they didn't charge a thing since they couldn't get it done). Some NAPA stores have there own press might check them first. I just picked up a D60 for 200 bucks that is only reason I bought it. After doing research the 44 wasn't much of upgrade over the D30 so I figured I would wait til I found a 60. So this baby is going into storage until I get the rear I want to go with it. Probably won't be until Winter that I do anything with it. I am happy with the Merc the way it sits now. I might use it on something else or trade it too I just couldn't pass it up. LOL:D

Thanks for the link. I'll give him a call on Monday. Is there a specific part # for the Ford 8.8 kit? Couldn't seem to find it on the site, tried to search under drivetrain/ axle kits then doing a site search for Ultimate 88 kit but no go. ???
YA WF88-31-KIT
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=10255
Are you still going to upgrade the 8.8 if you're sticking a D60 under the front? Or will you slowly build up the D60 and enjoy the Merc the way it is for now?
I will build a new axle for the rear to match the front when and if I use the 60. Then I will have a couple nice axles for sale. With 60 and the Sterling 10.5 I will build I can run 42s without a problem. But I might just save the axle for the buggy I wanna build. That way I can keep the Merc my plush street/offroad rig. Already put 18k miles on it since the SAS. Love this rig is so cushy! And I get compliments almost daily now the weather is getting nicer.

Changed my mind on the 2 door Sport after talking to the guy some more about it. He was hiding too many details and the deal seemed kind sketchy. So I picked up this 92 Ranger 4.0 auto 4x4 Super Cab with 159k miles. Thing has buckets in it and even has cup holders which I have never seen in a 2nd Gen Ranger. Got it for $750 cause it needs a new transmission.

20120415_163234.jpg

20120415_180945.jpg

Plans for is SAS the front. Chevy leafs the rear and shorten the wheel base from 125" to 110". Going to use a Bronco II fuel tank so I can move the axle forward. Flatbed it. Exo cage. 4.56 gears Dana 30 front and Explorer 8.8 rear. Only reason going that route is cause I already have all the parts. Going hold onto the D60 for now I checked the tag on the 60 it already has 4.10s in it so that is a bonus.

Back