• Register Today It's free!

99 sport sohc exhaust

heathmo

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I've been speaking a few members of the forums, HunterDan and afboy have given me a few tips so far, but here's my question. So far every exhaust part I've gotten has the exact same size as the part it's supposed to go in to. Well that makes for some hard fabricating on my part. What I'm trying to do is install a Magnaflow y-pipe going from the dual 2 1/4" to one single 2 1/2" for the muffler and I got a really short Magnaflow muffler because I'm hoping to keep the stock tailpipe routing and just get the Dynomax tailpipe since the only place that would call me back in my area quoted nearly $300 when I could do all the labor myself and have it installed for under $200. And I have read through quite a bit of stuff and made it to the ends of the searches and not found exactly what I'm looking for. Do I have to get a small piece of pipe for all the connections to make them all go together well? Couldn't I have them expanded slightly to shorten the length of my exhaust so that I wouldn't be butting the ends together? More or less I'm wondering about after the Y-pipe into the muffler and out of the muffler. I know welding would be best, but I don't have access to anything I'd want to weld under my vehicle with. I would probably be ok with welding on the tailpipe to the muffler if the muffler was full stainless as well. Any light shined on the matter is surely appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a pipe expander to expand the ends of the pipe to fit over the ends so you do not need to buy a bunch of couplers and cut down on the number of clamps you use. In your case, I would do the y-pipe, then hang the tailpipe. Then see where abouts the muffler would be between the two. If you still need a bit more pipe you can buy sections of pipe from the parts store. If you don't already have the muffler, I have a stainless one that I'd be willing to let go fairly cheap, as well as a flowmaster super 40 or 44, cant remember which. They dynomax pipe is a quality piece, a bit expensive, but not really all that bad considering. If you do the y-pipe first, then the tailpipe, it would be a bit easier to mock things up and get things measured and cut right the first time. Just remember, the dynomax pipe is a thick piece of steel and is not easily expanded. If you have everything handy and all the right tools and plenty of clamps and you may want to grab some of those rubber donut hangers too. It shouldn't take more than 2-2.5 hours to get done.

Dan

I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds real loud and deep I am happy with the sound

Thanks

Perfect, thanks a bunch Dan. For not having the SOHC you sure have a plethora of information. I had actually gone down and measured it out myself a few times. And of course I did the measurements thinking that part of the muffler's full length would be subtracted by being inside of another connection or vice versa. But knowing that I can do that sure helps, I should only really need it between the y-pipe and the muffler. From what afboy has told me the y-pipe should fit over the existing pipe, but I'll have to most likely cut the flange off, haven't been under there to test but have another muffler I was going to put on that I tried to check with. Bought the Dynomax, big mistake, way too long for the 2 door. Wish I had talked to you sooner Dan, I actually have a muffler on it's way here right now. It was a steal though, I got the stainless steel rather than the satin steel muffler for less than the stainless. Yeah I was considering taking to a custom shop, but the only place that would return my e-mail was quoting almost $300 and I had a pretty good feeling that they were going to use the same damn parts. I figure I can at least shave the labor charge off. I was actually working front to back though. I want to at least figure out the y-pipe and the muffler, then the tailpipe I can figure out, worst case scenario is I could always get that done custom. That's why I've been holding off on getting the tailpipe, I figure for the time being I'll just dump it under the truck until I can be sure that the tailpipe will fit. Thanks for the tip, didn't think about the rubber donut hangers. I knew I needed some, just hoping I would find what I need at O'Reilly, luckily they're within walking distance. Thanks again I was really hoping that I could just give myself a little bit more room to work with on those. We'll see this weekend how it all pans out. For the time being it will most likely just get dumped. And if my measurements were right next weekend I'll have a tailpipe.

The rubber donuts are a major pain to get off, I usually end up breaking them or cutting them off trying to pull the hangers out of them.

Dan

Got it on there.

It's a bit off, but hopefully I can get it straightened out when I get my tailpipe. But I like the sound. And seems to help out a bit performance wise. Took much longer than expected and lots of cutting involved, but it's on and sounds nice.

Back