99ex22's Elite Registry! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99ex22's Elite Registry!

Here Is my 1999 XLT. She's all original except for the modifications Ive made, got 163,000 miles on her and is in pretty damn good shape. It was a one owner before me, they took really good care of it, never been hit, and the only scratch on it is on the roof from a tree branch I hit on the trail. The previous owners always had it maintained at their local Ford dealer so all the parts on it are Motorcraft parts. I am constantly changing it and working on it.

Modifications:
Custom Leaf Packs
War153's
TT
1" Body Lift
15x8 Crager Soft 8's
33x12.5R15 Cooper A/T's
Cat Back Magnaflow with 2 1/2" Pipe
Midland CB Radio
Smoked tail light's and 3rd brake light
Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs
Hella Comet 500 driving lights
KYB Monomax shocks
Trico Neoform Wipers
A pretty sweet Ford antenna
Clear corner lenses
Krylon Fusion on plastics
Billet Grille
10K pound tow hooks
Class 3 Tow Master Hidden Hitch
Smittybilt tow hook reciever
20% tinted windows
Mountaineer Grille
240W 3 Way Pioneer speakers
Transfer case skid
Gas tank skid
1997 explorer bumper
Grab handles on pillars
Painted pass airbag, vents, glove box black
Throttle cable mod
Brown wire mod

Here is a stock picture. Right around the time the addiction started taking place...
(dead links)

Here she is after Warrior shackles and TT...
(dead links)
Then I got my Soft 8's...
(dead links)
Then I got my 31's....
(dead links)
Then the ugly 3" Body Lift....

Then I went spring over axle in the rear and sloped body lift for a while...then shortly went back to the previous set up....

And then just recently I cut the 3" pucks down to 1" because I couldnt look at all the gaps and crap hanging down anymore that the 3" body lift created....along with the mountaineer grille. So my current set up is 1" Body lift, 2" TT and Warrior Shackles. Out of everything ive tried this is my favorite. I think my next mod now that im a couple inches lower will be a 4" deep by 40" or so roof rack made by rola and slap 4 hella 500"s up on a light bar.

Let me know what you guys think! and give me idea's of what I should do next! Any questions, just ask! Thanks,

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HA! cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I'm down there. only problem is, I'm a 2wd and may end up joining the civics :rolleyes:

First... Lacky01, you live in Keizer OR? So do I! And we both have 2wd 98's.

Second... I take mine down on the sand in pacific city a lot, however last time I got it stuck, and it was a long hike to find someone to help me out... so be careful!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I picked up a 2" reciever Class 3 Hidden Hitch brand hitch today off Craigslist but it's not very "hidden" I also got a Smittybilt 10K pound towhook for it....
picture.php

I hit the glove box and airbag with krylon fusion....
picture.php

I also painted some things under the hood...
picture.php

Im pretty sure I gained like 10 horse power...

Nice work...chuckle at the 10 HP...was it hard to cut the spacers for the bl?...PS: Your drive way must be a PITA to take care of

Nice work...chuckle at the 10 HP...was it hard to cut the spacers for the bl?...PS: Your drive way must be a PITA to take care of

no it wasnt hard at all. I just used a sawzall and it cut right through them. If I had to do it again I would just purchase 1" lift blocks from 4wheelparts.com for like 2.50 Driveway-Yeah that's why we don't take care of it haha. There is trees everywhere around it and as the roots grow the pavement buldges up and developes cracks everywhere. We had it re paved a few years back but it looks horrible again.

Edit: My driveway isnt the flat one....it's the one in pictures 1 and 4 in the first post. Not sure which one your talking about but ANYWAY.....

nope no rub anymore. I had to trim a little of the plastic in the wheel well but other than that I have no rubbing issues at all even while flexed on the trails.

Edit: leaf packs- Yeah it's kinda funny....I got a full 2" of lift with the shackles and new leaf packs....Im sure they will sag a little over time though.

Ok I got pictures of the throttle cable mod and BWM. The throttle cable mod made a world of a difference. I barely touch the gas pedal and she takes off and it actually shifts down no when I gas it. The BWM the only time I can tell a difference is if im on a gravel road or coming up my hill (there is a hairpin turn it usually kicks in on) it doesnt clunk anymore.
Throttle cable...There was 3 zipties worth of slack in it...
picture.php

BWM switch...Nothing fancy just a plain old on/off switch from napa...
picture.php

picture.php

awesome registry, i love your ex man!!! Gives me all kind of ideas for mine!! I'm in the Portland area too.

Thanks! Glad to see your from the portland area! Maybe I won't be the only one around with a lifted explorer!

LOL yeah I just need to find a job so I can start doing some stuff to the Explorer, other than routine maintenance!! Looking at all the pics on here, I think mine's ready to grow!!

I think im going SOA and sloped body lift again but leaving my overload spring in this time and see what happens. Ill more than likely purchase Perry's 6" flare fiberglass fenders too and have them painted by a buddy to match.

You might want to look at the V8 Explorers, on the rear axles.. they have bars for anti-wrap... it might be something you want to do yourself, or maybe get an axle from a v8 explorer?? if you have the mounting points for it on your frame?

Yeah the axle thats on there now is out of a 96 5.0 L and it does have those mounts but I had to bend them down and out of the way for the spring perch to sit on top. But ive changed my mind again. Im just going to leave it the way it because its more streetable. Ill just get a mild roof rack and throw 4 hella 500"s up top.

ruffstuff specialties makes an anti wrap spring perch.. its like 7 inches long and 2.5 wide.. this should help with spring wrap. This is what i purchased.. just haven't installed yet.. and they are only like $35.

Back