A small preview of what's to come in the following months. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A small preview of what's to come in the following months.

Here are a few pictures from a mini-project I completed the other day. It is a Generation 3 Eaton M90 off of a Thunderbird Supercoupe. When I picked it up it was in somewhat poor condition with the seals going and questionable bearings because of it, and then couple that with the grey epoxy paint peeling on the outside. I didn't really want to refinish this blower as much as I ended up doing but it sort of snowballed a bit once I dug into it. I ended up doing a full rebuild with new bearings and seals, the port, and of course had snout and case powdercoated a dark blue, and polished the midplate.

This will be going onto my 02 X Sport V6 once I get the G8 back up and running for the warm weather. The plan is to run 8-9 psi which will keep the blower right in its maximum efficiency range. Even though it may not look like it at first glance this will be a junkyard build. Pay no attention to those bolts sticking out in the last pic showing the finished port job. All of the bolts will be getting replaced with newer better looking ones, and the bottom two will be shortened and sealed. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20120221_134238-2.jpg
    IMG_20120221_134238-2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 2012-03-27_18-25-40_281.jpg
    2012-03-27_18-25-40_281.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 833
  • 2012-03-27_18-26-15_287.jpg
    2012-03-27_18-26-15_287.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 2012-03-27_18-27-37_211-2.jpg
    2012-03-27_18-27-37_211-2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 787

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there any differences between the M90 used on the SuperCoupes and the M90 used on GM 3800s? Are the snouts different lengths?

Completely different. Biggest is its a bottom discharge.the whole unit is a different size,snout and body.

Edit.sorry rocket thought this was still in his thread,didnt even look when i got the email.didnt mean to jump the gun or answer for you.lol

Completely different. Biggest is its a bottom discharge.the whole unit is a different size,snout and body.

Edit.sorry rocket thought this was still in his thread,didnt even look when i got the email.didnt mean to jump the gun or answer for you.lol

No problem at all man. I don't care whether the info comes from me or anyone else, as long as it is correct. One other thing to mention is that the GM 3800 M90's are a later (aka better) generation than the one I am using.

No problem at all man. I don't care whether the info comes from me or anyone else, as long as it is correct. One other thing to mention is that the GM 3800 M90's are a later (aka better) generation than the one I am using.

well they have 3 different m90s.its said that the 1st ones preforms like the ford m90,the second or gen 3 is said to be alittle better and the 3 or gen 5 is the best m90 out.i have the gen3 but p+p it performs like the gen5 stock or a hair better.with the port work you did im sure yours is right there with it

well they have 3 different m90s.its said that the 1st ones preforms like the ford m90,the second or gen 3 is said to be alittle better and the 3 or gen 5 is the best m90 out.i have the gen3 but p+p it performs like the gen5 stock or a hair better.with the port work you did im sure yours is right there with it

Not without the wear coating on the rotors. That little extra seal provides a bit more efficiency, along with the inlet port shape too. Your charger should be a bit more efficient than the one I am using, but then again I don't care about getting big gains with my truck. Whatever it makes, it makes. :D

Not without the wear coating on the rotors. That little extra seal provides a bit more efficiency, along with the inlet port shape too. Your charger should be a bit more efficient than the one I am using, but then again I don't care about getting big gains with my truck. Whatever it makes, it makes. :D

Lol hell yea;) me and don was talking about that,didnt some ford m90 come with a coating or did all not have it? I know all the gm ones had it but the first gens was a different coating than the gen 5. Mines getting the gen 5 coating;)

Lol hell yea;) me and don was talking about that,didnt some ford m90 come with a coating or did all not have it? I know all the gm ones had it but the first gens was a different coating than the gen 5. Mines getting the gen 5 coating;)

The later generation ones have it. Just not the earlier ones.

Back