• Register Today It's free!

A4LD fluid change ?

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
So I have disconnected the return line from the tranny cooler back to the tranny. it is emptying into a bucket and I am puring new fluid in as needed.
The trouble is it is soooooo slow. BArley a trickle. Does this mean that the filter is clogged?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My question would be if you are changing the fluid wouldn't it make sense to change the filter?

You must be flushing, then doing a filter replacement?

I found that a slight increase in RPM makes a large difference in flow.

You must be flushing, then doing a filter replacement?

I found that a slight increase in RPM makes a large difference in flow.

YOu are correct about the flushing. Although I used 4 gallons and still there are tiny metal like sparkles and only a reddish tint now instead of the black color. so I feel I have been wasting my time.

I tried the increased RPM and the flow did not change at all. It was only moderately higher after i would shut the motor off and dump the catch pan, then restart it. It would seem higher for about a minute or less, then return to it's trickle. I suspect that either the filter is really cloged, and/or the pump is misaligned or failing.

Still I took it for a test drive only around the block. It would shift into reverse easily and quickly. But in any of the forward gears, it would take several seconds and blipping of the throttle. But when I gingerly "gun" the throttle after the gear "caught", it is much more responsive than before the flush.

I am seriously considering swapping in a manual 5 speed if I can find a donor. I just want to sell this truck. I have it posted for $800 and no takers when the only thing wrong with is is the tranny.

Any help guys?

Also, what possible damage can I do if I drain the system from the cooler line until it runs out. I was thinking of doing this before I dropped the pan. YOu know, let it pump out all of it until it can't pick up any more and the cooler is empty... Will that really hurt the tranny?

Back