a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld to Manual M50D Swap How-to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies. I don't have cruise control anyway so that's not an issue. I just don't want to throw a bunch of codes if the computer or wires aren't compatible with the swap. JD, thanks for the ecm part number, now I know what to look for. And switching to the Yam1 ecm sounds good, but I don't want to overcomplicate this swap or drag it out, if it requires more than just plugging it in. If the yam1 is plug and play then I'll take it since you're nearby and nobody else around here has a 94 manual 4.0 ecm.

O wait...you have a 94 explorer correct?? Its just auto?? Then yes the ecm would be YAM1...sorry...the 94 explorer is the only first gen that has sequential fire injectors, EGR and dual oxygen sensors..it should be plug and play, im about 90% sure...in my case it was a ranger ecm I was replacing with a 94 explorer 5speed ECM to gain sequential fire injection..what ecm code do you have now??

You wil have to use a 94 specific ecm as 94 explorer wiring for injectors are different. ..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read about many different ways that people have made this swap work. I'm just searching for a surefire way of going about this. Once I get into it I'm sure I'll figure it out. So I'll stick with the auto ECM for now and bypass the NSS and go from there.

Edit: i do have a 94 auto. I have all the added features that weren't on previous 1st gens. that's good news if yam1 will plug and go. I'll check my ecm and get back with the code.

I've read about many different ways that people have made this swap work. I'm just searching for a surefire way of going about this. Once I get into it I'm sure I'll figure it out. So I'll stick with the auto ECM for now and bypass the NSS and go from there.

Just remember the 94 is TOTALLY different from any other first gen..the wiring for injectors is different. ..yea if the auto ecm doesnt work your more than welcome to have the YAM1..just come pick it up.think I didn't really pay much for it and I have no use so im writing it off anyways; )

Post your code and ill check the wiring diagram to make sure you do in fact have sequential fire...or you can look at your injectors...batch fire all the injectors on one side share a ground....sequential has a independent ground per injector. .

Thanks buddy! I feel a lot more confident to start this project now.

Thanks buddy! I feel a lot more confident to start this project now.

No problem man..shoot me a email jhd421981@gmail.com if you need anything. There is four of us all in same area so combined we have just about enough parts to build 2-3 trucks!!! Lol :)

While the transmission is apart from the motor I'm going to install a new rear main seal(the suspect of the oil leak from the bellhousing), flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and slave cylinder...am I missing anything that should be replaced while I'm at it?

While the transmission is apart from the motor I'm going to install a new rear main seal(the suspect of the oil leak from the bellhousing), flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and slave cylinder...am I missing anything that should be replaced while I'm at it?

The plugs in the top of the trans if you haven't. ..stock should be rubber and leak.they have a metal update replacement.

Subscribing for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back