How to: - Adding Liftgate Lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Adding Liftgate Lighting

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Reaction score
City, State
NOVA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford PIU
So I've had my 2021 PIU for a few weeks now and have been working to make it more suited to what I need it to do. One of the things that I found was sorely lacking was the ability to use the back as a "command post." The lack of lighting to the interior of the trunk space, as well as to the area under the shelter of the raised lift gate meant that you had to have a flashlight to be able to see anything at night.

So I found some 12/24v red and white LED lights on Amazon that I decided to mount on the interior trim panel of the lift gate. I bought two to be able to have one on either side of the panel. While these are so bright that one would be more than enough, I'm a "two is one and one is none" kind of person. Installation takes about 30-minutes if you take your time. Basically a tap into the 12-v ignition source installed and a "Y" harness is sent to the two lights.

You'll need some tools and a few raw supplies:
TOOLS
  • 8mm socket and ratchet
  • trim removal tool (optional)
  • wire cutters
  • wire stripper
  • wire crimper
    • I use Anderson Powerpole connectors for these kinds of things because I really like the way it allows me to build wiring harnesses and connectors that can be removed. The down side is you need a special crimper and the connectors are about $1/pair, but they are fantastic and useful so I HIGHLY recommend them.
    • TC-1 Ratcheting crimper
    • Anderson Powerpole connectors
  • 3/8" drill bit
  • drill
  • Philips head screw driver
RAW MATERIALS
Building the wiring harness:
I built a "Y" section that then plugs into a single harness that connects to the tap-in connector and the ground. This allows trim panel removal later.
06823F7F-5143-49B5-A3D0-DCEEC7403778_1_105_c.jpeg

Then using a single wire I crimped on Powerpole connectors onto one end. The other end gets a ring terminal crimped onto the negative lead. The positive lead will go into the tap connector.

After building the wiring harneses, remove the interior trim panel from the lift gate.
4D5D941B-DD57-4536-B593-82BE00E9A784_1_105_c.jpeg

The wiring harness that connects to the trunk has a 12v ignition source. I used the harness that connects to the lift gate side rather than the harness coming from the body. That way if I screwed up I could just replace the small harness. Look for the Green/Violet lead, peel back the insulation.

Tap in your wiring harness power lead to this wire.
F1512098-9D8B-47AA-8D25-20D25762354A_1_105_c.jpeg

Unscrew one of the screws on this panel and use that for your ground connection.
90C33F1D-EE34-4BEB-BA64-05EE9E03D2A2_1_105_c.jpeg

Next prep your lights. Crimp on power poles onto the ends of the leads for the lights. They are pretty short from the factory so this is why you will need a "Y" wiring harness.
F037BD91-D8F1-48E3-9D0E-2D6276B5B1C4_1_105_c.jpeg

Now flip the trim panel over and you will see two molded "dots" on either side that make a great reference point as your wire pass through. I drilled a pilot hole and then used a step drill to make a hole large enough to pass the lights' wiring harnesses through.
71121E6C-2520-4C47-89D4-0A0E20C8B664_1_105_c.jpeg

Mount your lights on the interior facing side of the panel. Connect your "Y" wiring harness to the lights, then connect that to your single wiring harness that connects to the tap-in connector. Put the panel back in place and violá! You will now have your own well-lit command station.
D4A2FD9F-F028-48A2-B1EC-C69CCF19D252_1_105_c.jpeg
BDCE80D5-4345-442E-BAC6-A16A0B5E1E65_1_105_c.jpeg

DC425F76-D38E-4EC7-8B00-5D2B0D59759E_1_105_c.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice write up. I set you up with an Elite Explorer membership for your effort:chug:

That is very cool.

Maybe I missed it, but does this mean these lights are on constant, switched or were you able to set it up so they only come on when the liftgate is opened?

According to the writeup, I'd say no.

So I've had my 2021 PIU for a few weeks now and have been working to make it more suited to what I need it to do. One of the things that I found was sorely lacking was the ability to use the back as a "command post." The lack of lighting to the interior of the trunk space, as well as to the area under the shelter of the raised lift gate meant that you had to have a flashlight to be able to see anything at night.

So I found some 12/24v red and white LED lights on Amazon that I decided to mount on the interior trim panel of the lift gate. I bought two to be able to have one on either side of the panel. While these are so bright that one would be more than enough, I'm a "two is one and one is none" kind of person. Installation takes about 30-minutes if you take your time. Basically a tap into the 12-v ignition source installed and a "Y" harness is sent to the two lights.

You'll need some tools and a few raw supplies:
TOOLS
  • 8mm socket and ratchet
  • trim removal tool (optional)
  • wire cutters
  • wire stripper
  • wire crimper
    • I use Anderson Powerpole connectors for these kinds of things because I really like the way it allows me to build wiring harnesses and connectors that can be removed. The down side is you need a special crimper and the connectors are about $1/pair, but they are fantastic and useful so I HIGHLY recommend them.
    • TC-1 Ratcheting crimper
    • Anderson Powerpole connectors
  • 3/8" drill bit
  • drill
  • Philips head screw driver
RAW MATERIALS
Building the wiring harness:
I built a "Y" section that then plugs into a single harness that connects to the tap-in connector and the ground. This allows trim panel removal later.
View attachment 423962

Then using a single wire I crimped on Powerpole connectors onto one end. The other end gets a ring terminal crimped onto the negative lead. The positive lead will go into the tap connector.

After building the wiring harneses, remove the interior trim panel from the lift gate.
View attachment 423961

The wiring harness that connects to the trunk has a 12v ignition source. I used the harness that connects to the lift gate side rather than the harness coming from the body. That way if I screwed up I could just replace the small harness. Look for the Green/Violet lead, peel back the insulation.

Tap in your wiring harness power lead to this wire.
View attachment 423963

Unscrew one of the screws on this panel and use that for your ground connection.
View attachment 423964

Next prep your lights. Crimp on power poles onto the ends of the leads for the lights. They are pretty short from the factory so this is why you will need a "Y" wiring harness.
View attachment 423965

Now flip the trim panel over and you will see two molded "dots" on either side that make a great reference point as your wire pass through. I drilled a pilot hole and then used a step drill to make a hole large enough to pass the lights' wiring harnesses through.
View attachment 423966

Mount your lights on the interior facing side of the panel. Connect your "Y" wiring harness to the lights, then connect that to your single wiring harness that connects to the tap-in connector. Put the panel back in place and violá! You will now have your own well-lit command station.
View attachment 423967 View attachment 423968
I just completed setting this up in my work car and it took about 1.5 hours (29 degrees out side). The job was easy and the lights are bright.

Maybe I missed it, but does this mean these lights are on constant, switched or were you able to set it up so they only come on when the liftgate is opened?

The lights themselves have two switches each, one of white, one for red. I'm actually thinking of putting these on mine as well.

Back