aftermarket flashing lites for hazards? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket flashing lites for hazards?

I was curious, would it be illegal for me to place some white led panels in my upper windshield for emergency purposes?
A couple months ago, I seen this nice black dodge truck, it hit some crappy car and it's front end was toward the oncoming lane.. uh...

| | |
| |
| | | < right here, front end pointed \/
| |
| | |
| |

.... lol... anyways.. he had some white led panels in his windshield that were flashing kinda like how the cop lights do, pretty fast and alternating... god all this sounds dumb.. anyways, would it be illegal? is it illegal to have any flashing lights? iv heard it was but idk...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am pretty sure you can have amber ones legally, but only if they are used for "emergency purposes only"

My best recommendation would be to call up your local police and ask them.

Edit: I think placing them in the windshield is illegal because that is "obstruction of view"

You have to check your laws. It varies. All states have laws you can't have blue/red flashing lights. But then there are the other laws like you can't have any flashing lights while moving. Only stopped. Then there are others about amber or clear lights on a marked car only.
Your state should have a DMV website.

Many, not all, Cops will just say "It's illegal." if they are not sure. Like mentioned it's best to check it out for yourself with the DMV for your state.

Back