Another blend door actuator thread - 2000 limited 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another blend door actuator thread - 2000 limited 5.0

SPF27

Reaction score
City, State
Vero Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I've been searching the past few days to diagnose a problem and I'm hoping someone can give a little more insight before I pull the trigger and buy a replacement actuator.

I'm hearing a clicking in my dash, I pulled down the glove box and can feel that the blend door actuator is the source of the noise. I'm still getting cold air. Sometimes the clicking stops after 10-15 mins, sometimes it stops when I raise the temp into the mid 70's.

The noise started right after I replaced my battery so I'm wondering if the actuator is defective or not. Hoping for a simple fix even though the part is only $57 from the dealer (I've read the complaints on the dorman units).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not difficult to pop the actuator off of the retaining tabs. You can then actually inspect the function of the actuator to verify what is wrong rather than us guessing. Very simple to open it and watch the gears turn.

Didn't think of that, I'll take a look.. Thanks.

Lol just did my 99 mounty two days ago, make sure the blend door is free and working, use a motorcraft replacement, and run it through the diagnostic check and hit the defrost at the end,

Began removing the actuator today, had a little difficulty with the bolt on the back but I'll get it. I had to run out and wouldn't you know, no more clicking. I've started and driven it 3 times and the sound hasn't returned, everything works as it should. Good news is I found a $50 bill stuffed in the hinge when I lowered the glove box, must be from a previous owner so if I do need to replace the actuator, it's paid for.

That's awesome!

hahaha...Whats book rate on that repair? Maybe you were just paid for your time.

Back