Solved - Missing Part - towing eye | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Missing Part - towing eye

Post number 90 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Will3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Here's another missing part for the ST.

bracket assy - towing hook supp.
Part #: 17A954

ford_parts.svg

Usage: 05/06/2019, Explorer 2020-

Section: TOOLS In Stock

upload_2020-1-8_15-19-11.png

The actual part number is: EM2Z-17A954-A

My dealer ordered one for me, free of charge, and it fits perfectly in the slot next to the fuel funnel in the spare tire area. (Also, see page 295 in the owners manual.)

upload_2020-1-8_15-18-4.png

upload_2020-1-8_15-18-28.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, Mine is missing also, spoke with Ford customer service they indicated to work though the local dealer.

TBill

This was talked about when we first started getting them. Nobody got one in theirs. When posting about it on a Ford site, was told that majority of vehicles (Fords) do not come with them and owners have to buy them.

This was talked about when we first started getting them. Nobody got one in theirs. When posting about it on a Ford site, was told that majority of vehicles (Fords) do not come with them and owners have to buy them.

I hear you but why would the owners manual state that you need to always have it in the vehicle? My dealer got one for me as well.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 5.56.50 PM.jpg
The manual is specific that you must keep the hook with the car. I took a photo of the hook to my dealer and they order one...no charge.

Wow. I had just assumed none of them came with it, even though it is referred to in the manual. Glad to hear the dealer is ordering it. Not sure if they would do it if I'm now 7 months out. Maybe I can claim I just found out that it's missing.

I haven't physically checked to see if my Aviator has such a tow hook but there is no reference to one that I can find in the Manual. Also, diagrams of the jack etc do not show a tow hook nor where to insert it on the vehicle.

Peter

It’s for flat-towing if dolly or flatbed towing is not available. Since the Explorer and Aviator drivelines are essentially identical, I’d think you should have one as well.

On the 5th gen it was called a Tow Recovery Hook used to recover the vehicle when a tow truck or rescue vehicle was needed.

Peter

Well, I’m missing the tow hook, the fuel funnel, and the rear bumper air deflector. Will be stopping by the dealership.

"rear number air deflector" :dunno:

yeah and what is fuel funnel?

Is this your first Explorer? The fuel funnel allows you to put gas in the tank from a portable gas can.

Where can we find our fuel funnel's in our Explorer's? It is my 2nd Explorer. I checked the trunk but could not find it.

Where can we find our fuel funnel's in our Explorer's? It is my 2nd Explorer. I checked the trunk but could not find it.
There is a slot in front of the spare tire.

yeah and what is fuel funnel?
See pages 181 and 183 of your Owner's Manual. Every owner should be familiar with this important item.

Peter

OK,

Mine was missing also. I called Ford and they said "yes it's suppose to be with the vehicle, work with your local Ford dealer. I visited the dealer today, spoke with someone in service, they directed me to the parts department. Parts indicated they would order the part for me but I would have to talk to sales to cover the cost of the part, approximately $32.00. I sent an email to my salesperson, I am awaiting a response.
This should be suppled by Ford to their dealers on any 2020 Explorer that is missing the part from assembly.
TBill

View attachment 177139 The manual is specific that you must keep the hook with the car. I took a photo of the hook to my dealer and they order one...no charge.

I can't find this statement in my owners Manual. On page 293 it says "If your vehicle is equipped with a screw-in recovery hook it is with the spear tire kit or the rear under floor storage"
Also under towing points: "Due to local market requirements in some countries some vehicles may be equipped with a recovery hook"
Lee

2020 Explorer Owners manual: page 295:

Towing Eye Location
E265227
The towing eye is in the spare wheel
storage tray.
Note: You must carry the towing eye in your
vehicle at all times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Page 295 in my owners manual.............

Back