Solved - Missing Part - towing eye | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Missing Part - towing eye

Post number 90 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I just wonder how many members that do have the towing eye have actually checked to see if it can acctually be screwed in. See post #36 where there is no receptacle for the tow eye.

Peter

Are they going to drill and tap into that aluminum structure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wonder how many members that do have the towing eye have actually checked to see if it can acctually be screwed in. See post #36 where there is no receptacle for the tow eye.

Peter

I've got an idea, Ford needs to provide correct information in the owners manual. See pasts #5 and #21. If the ST isn't suppose to have the hook, so indicate in the manual. By the way, after seeing post #36 the other night, I went out to the garage to pop off the front tab where the hook is theoretically to be placed on my ST. The tab didn't want to readily come off, and I certainly wasn't going to mar or break anything just out of curiosity. The ST doesn't have the rear tab shown in post #38, maybe because the ST has the towing package??? :dunno:

IIRC, the ST does have a threaded hole behind that front panel. For the rear, I bought a shackle tow hitch receiver.

In browsing through the photo thread, it seems that Explorers with the tow package do not have the rear towing point shown in the Manual. That would make sense.

Peter

Yes, that appears to be the case with the ST and the Platinum, as mine does not have an access point in the rear either,

TBill

IIRC, the ST does have a threaded hole behind that front panel. For the rear, I bought a shackle tow hitch receiver.
My ST has the threaded hole in the front.

Attachments

• E2F25B10-9AF7-4068-BA25-7CAC59D9E44F.jpeg
    E2F25B10-9AF7-4068-BA25-7CAC59D9E44F.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 155

According to page 294 of the Owner’s Manual, “Towing an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle requires that all wheels be off the ground, such as using a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment. This prevents damage to the transmission, all-wheel or four-wheel drive system and vehicle.”

My guess is this is why STs and Platinums don’t come with the Towing Eye or the front or rear bumper accommodations for the eye.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the tow eye is for emergency purposes only. Stuck in snow, running off the road etc. In the Manual it is shown under Roadside Emergencies.

Peter

Here's another missing part for the ST.

bracket assy - towing hook supp.
Part #: 17A954

ford_parts.svg

Usage: 05/06/2019, Explorer 2020-

Section: TOOLS In Stock

View attachment 177134

The actual part number is: EM2Z-17A954-A

My dealer ordered one for me, free of charge, and it fits perfectly in the slot next to the fuel funnel in the spare tire area. (Also, see page 295 in the owners manual.)

View attachment 177132

View attachment 177133
So let me guess. The tow eye shaft fits into which piece? And, does that piece insert into the 2" receiver?

So let me guess. The tow eye shaft fits into which piece? And, does that piece insert into the 2" receiver?
No, it screws into the bumper.

No, it screws into the bumper.
Really ? Where. The only Explorer with the removable panel in the lower right rear corner is the Limited w/o the tow package. I spent a good 3/4 hr walking the lot at Autonation Ford in Arlington, TX My ST has no place to screw in a tow eye. Neither did any of theirs except for the lone Limited w/o the tow option. There is no access port on the front bumper.

Really ? Where. The only Explorer with the removable panel in the lower right rear corner is the Limited w/o the tow package. I spent a good 3/4 hr walking the lot at Autonation Ford in Arlington, TX My ST has no place to screw in a tow eye. Neither did any of theirs except for the lone Limited w/o the tow option. There is no access port on the front bumper.
I have a ST and it’s behind the panel on my front bumper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found it. Just above the sensor. I guess I'll lean on my service advisor tomorrow to get one ordered under warranty. One never knows. The tow eye may become a historic artifact someday .............. ROFL

Back