Another tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another tire question

Ok so I did some searching and didn't find what I was looking for, but I know its been discussed before.

I am going to be getting new tires this next month sometime, Whenever my mid year bonus rolls in. This truck will see some pavement driving but will be primarily offroad, just driven to trails not trailered. I was looking at several tires and just couldn't figure out what would be best for my use.

I've got 15x10 rims and currently have 35x12.5's, mud kings. I looked at some Mickey Thompson 35x13.5 Baja Claw bias ply tires today for $224 each unmounted. I then read that they don't perform well offroad and can wear really fast like maybe 10,000 miles.

I have also looked at Super Swampers and I've heard they also wear fast around 30K.

I don't know a heck of a lot about tires I noticed that the Baja Claws came in radial and bias. I figured that Bias would be better for offroad use, but I'm not certain.

I know that I can get into areas that have rocks, sand and Mud. I would like to hear reccomendations on tires to look at. BFG AT's are off the list I think, I need a good aggressive tire. I was even looking at the TRX's.

Please help me out I don't want to be dissappointed and have to live with a tire because I choose poorly.

I would get a radial tire. They should hold up better onroad, and they'll also store a lot better. When parking a vehicle with bias ply tires you have to worry about flat spots.

How about Goodyear MTRs or BFG Krawlers?

Which terrain will you mostly encounter in Alaska? (Sorry about the probably stupid question, bit I have never been there) Gooey mud? Watery mud? Snow? Forrest tracks? Rocks?

I run BFG MTs and love them. I will most likely switch to BFG ATs though because they are my every day tires, I make 30+ kmls a year and they just hold 40-45 kmls. The BFG MT's do great almost everywhere except the really gooey stuff and hard packed snow and ice. At the same time, they hold up a decent amount of miles and are pretty civilized on the road.

The GoodYears MTRs are IMHO even more civilized and a little bit less effective in the mud than the BFG.

Krawlers would be great but $$$$ and available just in very limited dimensions.

For a lot of goo, Swampers still are the best.

I also heard a lot of good things about the Trxus, made by the same company making the Swampers: Decent on road with a decent life expectancy and good off road.

Hope this helps!

Well I asked some Alaskan wheelers and got a mixed response but a few reccomended taking a look at the these what do you guys think? I read a product testing and review by Petersons 4 wheel and they were highly reccomending them based on their performance in mud, rocks, sand, wet rocks and snow.

p81653_image_large.jpg

Here is the review http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/17681/index.html

Back