antifreeze leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer EB
i have a 1991 ford explorer it has 170,00 on it. when i got it it was leaking antifreeze from the radiator cap. so i got a new one. then it was leaking from the lower radiator hose on the driver side of the vehicle. it goes to the waterpump and is a rubber hose. so i drained it all out and pulled and cleaned not just that hose but all the rubber hoses, bcause i already had the anitfreeze out. i cleaned of the inside of the hose and the metal pieces that the hoses go over. they were really dirty with clumps of **** on it. so i figured that that was where the antifreeze was leaking through once it built up pressure. it did fix it for about a week, then i had a flat tire so i let it sit for about 3 days. i drove it yesterday and it now its leaking out of all the rubberhoses. and its leaking where it connects to the waterpump and the radiator. this all happened within 2 weeks or so. and idk why cleaning it up fixed it for a few days then all of a sudden it is leaking out of hoses it never did before.

has this happened to anyone else? or anyone no what to do.
anything helpls. thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Antifreeze

Radiator and heaters hoses should be changed every couple of years as a preventive maintenance measure. Better to change that sort of thing on your schedule, not when it decides to fail 50 miles from home. Sounds like yours are old and are trying to get your attention.

Are they the original hoses? Time for new hoses and clamps.

look out for your heater valve (2 hoses [check them too] into it, then the firewall). it's made out of plastic, and if it's old, may not handle pressure well.

look out for your heater valve (2 hoses [check them too] into it, then the firewall). it's made out of plastic, and if it's old, may not handle pressure well.

^^^I just changed mine. It wasn't a full blown leak just weeping from a crack on the end but I'm glad I cought it now rather than road side over heating.

when i replaced those hoses, i had to clamp them pretty hard to stop them leaking.

Back