Any current/former Audi owners? (A4) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any current/former Audi owners? (A4)

Jonny813

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
I am looking into future options of smaller more professional cars and one that I have always like was the Audi A4. I was considering buying one when I was shopping around before my current ride.

As always this forum has helped me with all kinds of car information, so I thought I would come here first.

Basically, any kind of warnings or recommendations, any kind of information thats not just "browsed" online. Typical Maintenance/Repair costs, problem areas? Anything I should be wary or concerned with when shopping for one? How long should I expect it to last, assuming I take very good care of it?

Target
2003 or Later, Audi A4.
Still researching, 1.8T or 2.8 V6.
Still researching, Quattro or FWD.
Leaning toward italics.

Background...
Florida resident, "No snow". All city/highway driving. No offroad or hauling. No interest in heavy modding or street racing. I am fairly well mechanically inclined and have access to a shop and appropriate tools to do most of my own work, as I do know labor is a huge cost on these cars.

Well, any information would be great!
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also keep in mind that part prices are high as well.

Skip the "A" line, and opt for an S4 :thumbsup:

S4s just a little out of my price range, like double it.

Love them to, but Ill stick to the A4ordables...Geeze I am so witty.

As for part's cost, I am prepared for that.

I loved my 99.5 A4 Avant, and I miss it.

Here are my opinions.
  • 5spd get the 1.8t
  • Auto get the 2.8. (There is a lot of turbo lag in the autos.)
  • I'd get the quattro because it's more fun to drive, and mpg really doesn't suffer from it
  • They are 'expensive' to maintain.* The S4 (twin turbo 2.7) even more so, but have all gotten better through the years.
  • If you can find one with the Sport (Lowered from factory with a more tuned suspension) and Cold Weather** packages, get it.

*Just like any car, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
**Its' not cold where I am either, but the added features are nice.

Here is mine:

Audi2.jpg

Audi8.jpg

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of the RS4 personally, v8, awd, 4 door... doesnt get much better.. Except for maybe a Lincoln Mark LT on say 38s..

but the one my daughter has, 2002, has convinced her never to buy a Euro car again.

Bolded the problem. Chick buying high maintenance/care car! You know they don't change the oil but every 30,000 miles!

Just kidding! :p Although, the women in my family... do prove that to be correct. Although I do know, 2002 is one of the, not so good years, there is several common problems with that year according to some sites.

Nice ride froader. I was looking into those B5's but I generally think "newer" the better in most cases. Yes, I did hear about the turbo lag and I have heard the 2.8's are a lot more reliable, and I am not the biggest fan of 4-bangers... I figure it can't be any slower taking off then my truck... Like I said above I have almost no intention of modding a car, except maybe a few items, and the 1.8T is had a much bigger aftermarket and is a little cheaper to get better gains. Probably would just end up getting a chip. Like I said, still researching :p

Thanks for the replies.

Bolded the problem. Chick buying high maintenance/care car! You know they don't change the oil but every 30,000 miles!

Naw, she does the regular maintenance, or has it done. But the other issues she has had have killed her money wise, even with a junk warranty which I advised her not to buy!

Hey you can tell them all you want, they don't have to listen!:)

I put a chip in mine and the difference was amazing, but if you're not going to mod much the 2.8 is a good choice.

The reason the '02 isn't the best is because just like any other make model it was the first year of the new design.

My best friends wife has an 03 1.8 and she's a mellow driver and he takes care of it. They haven't had a problem since new and she's got over 100k on it already.

We are also in the market for a new Audi. We are checking out the used A4s they have at a dealership near us.
We had an A6 that was awesome- 2001 v8 with the 4.2l quattro engine. It has some weird short where it shuts off when driving though, and the dealership can't replicate it, so we are getting a newer one. They had a really nice '05 a6 4.2 with the sport and entertainment package (or whatever they call it), but they were asking more than we would like to pay for it.

Just a note... the A4 has really no back seat in my eyes:rolleyes: I sat in one once and it was terrible. My S60 is a little better, but the back seat is still kinda small.

Yeah, that's why we haven't purchased anything yet. Checking around to see what our options are and what is out there. It is a shame too, the A6 was really nice.

Just remember that before the first time you drive a new VW/Audi car it's a good idea to note the location of the oil pan. When driving the car, do not crack the pan by smashing it on a curb or similar object. You might be surprised at how many people do that.

i owned an A4 so I'll throw my $0.02 on this one

First off, Audis for the most part are great cars. The 1.8t motor is a great little engine. The only real weak point with them is the timing belt, which has a tendency to go earlier than Audi will lead you to believe. If the car has over 60k make sure it's been done. Other than that they are great on gas and with a performance chip (mine was from APR) you can add around 50 horse with no other mods. With that one upgrade the car moves pretty good and should maintain it's reliability. The interiors are nice, most come with a Bose stereo, digital climate controll, and all power. Mine had the heated fake leather seats, and a moonroof. If it wasn't for my massive monthly payment, I'd probably still be driving it. I liked it way more than the domestic and japanese sedans i've had in the past by comparison

I have a co-worker who practically has an Audi dealership in his yard. I'll pass this on to him for his .02.

So why are Audi's "Expensive" to maintain? Parts and Labor??? I know that it will cost more than an explorer but how much more???

Just curious because I've contemplated getting an Audi when the expo finally gives up the ghost...

IMO, its EXPENSIVE. I was trying to help my friend fix his, and it was scary (both the prices and the design). He paid something like $250 for a MAF from the dealer... You open the hood and you will swear there aren't enough parts for it to run, they're hidden under plastic covers and buried in places that aren't big enough for a flea to get into.

But when they are running right, they're nice to drive... It depends on if you want to work on it yourself or if you can afford to pay someone else to fix it (and rip their hair out)

Back