Awd to 4wd conversion... worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Awd to 4wd conversion... worth it?

BHop

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
I am considering the purchase of a 2000 Limited V8 awd. It's in amazing shape but one of the thing I never really like about the V8's is the full time awd system as... it just doesn't make sense 99% of the time.

Anyway, the vehicle in question may have a transfer case issue according to the issue and may need to get replaced and hence I am potentially getting it for a great deal.

So if their is an issue with the transfer case and it needs to be replaced, I may go the manual transfer case route. (4406).

That said... it looks like a lot of work.

Naturally, I have a few questions:

i) Roughly, how long does this project take from start to finish?

ii) Roughly, how much time and money will this mod cost me if I were to do it myself ?

VS getting a 4X4 shop to do? (Labor and parts)

ii) Lastly, how much does my everyday drive-ability improve due to this modification? I'd imagine there is an improvement in fuel economy due to the lack of a full time parasite sucking the life off of the power train VS the AWD stock set up.

Thoughts...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Naturally, I am not expecting hard numbers and super definitive answers but rather a ball park idea regarding my curiosity.

Anything helps. :)

i have done one, and helped with another. i never did know the difference with mine because i did it when i did my v8 swap. i did help another member with his swap. its fair to say this would take you around 6-8 hours to do depending on your ability. most guys that have done them, have said they have gotten 1 to 2 mpg difference. some have also said they can hear a slight roar at speeds, other dont. other have also said they have a vibration at speeds, others dont. i can also say this. right now i also have another v8 truck that is stock, and i can feel a major difference in steering. with the awd when turning the truck feels like it is pushing vs my truck which doesnt feel like that at all. also a 4406 is bullet prof compared to the awd case (i have done many hard launches on dry pavement, and at a race track) with no problems what so ever. as for how much it will cost? that is also hard to say. you would have to either find someone parting out a truck with the parts you would need and go from there, or call around at a few auto wreckers and see how much they would want. as rangerx posted, look over the thread he posted if you havent already. its a really great write up, and mostly if not all bolt in swap. i would say do it. it is well worth the time and money.

Oh wow, thanks for this, yea I should of used that search option, lol. I will have a look at this. :chug:

i have done one, and helped with another. i never did know the difference with mine because i did it when i did my v8 swap. i did help another member with his swap. its fair to say this would take you around 6-8 hours to do depending on your ability. most guys that have done them, have said they have gotten 1 to 2 mpg difference. some have also said they can hear a slight roar at speeds, other dont. other have also said they have a vibration at speeds, others dont. i can also say this. right now i also have another v8 truck that is stock, and i can feel a major difference in steering. with the awd when turning the truck feels like it is pushing vs my truck which doesnt feel like that at all. also a 4406 is bullet prof compared to the awd case (i have done many hard launches on dry pavement, and at a race track) with no problems what so ever. as for how much it will cost? that is also hard to say. you would have to either find someone parting out a truck with the parts you would need and go from there, or call around at a few auto wreckers and see how much they would want. as rangerx posted, look over the thread he posted if you havent already. its a really great write up, and mostly if not all bolt in swap. i would say do it. it is well worth the time and money.

Awesome. Much appreciated. As I just don't know a whole lot of this subject matter, this is helpful.

Oh wow, thanks for this, yea I should of used that search option, lol. I will have a look at this. :chug:

Awesome. Much appreciated. As I just don't know a whole lot of this subject matter, this is helpful.
@BHop
The cold of next winter will be upon you before successful completion, if you tackle this swap now. Sorry to sound like such a spoil-sport, but having done some of the most outlandish swaps myself over the years, this one looks pretty rough. But then, ya never know till ya try! Please let us know if it's a "go"! imp

Back