Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion

Um yeah those are great tips from his experiece but in my garage this will take 3-4 hours including removing the seats and carpet and wiring up the dash lights.

No chop job here and no -15 degrees holey moley!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D-shaft marking doesnt work in this...you swap out the d-shafts duh lol. And 16 hours??? Wow took me 3.5-4.

It does if you want to put things back to stock form. I'm just saying that its not a bad idea to spend 2 minutes to mark everything. I’m pretty sure your not going to say "damn I wish I hadn’t marked the drive shafts, now I have this bad ass vibration".

3.5 hours is fast. I’m sure I could have done it in that time too if I had a hoist, heated garage, a full set of air tools, and windshield wiper glasses to keep the road salt and slush out of my eyes.

why mark parts you are not re-installing?
the t case is new and both driveshafts are new (from the donor) so how is marking the position of the old driveshafts going to help?

I wont be using air tools, I have them but there is no need, I use air tools mostly for dissasembling big projects, otherwise hand tools are just about as fast and you get a feel for whats happening

It does if you want to put things back to stock form. I'm just saying that its not a bad idea to spend 2 minutes to mark everything. I’m pretty sure your not going to say "damn I wish I hadn’t marked the drive shafts, now I have this bad ass vibration".

3.5 hours is fast. I’m sure I could have done it in that time too if I had a hoist, heated garage, a full set of air tools, and windshield wiper glasses to keep the road salt and slush out of my eyes.

i did mine in the summer. The reason you had trouble with the case, as did i for 30 minutes was those damn dowell pins. It has to be exactly straight for the case to come out or it aint moving lol.
Also, why would you put back the AWD case in? I sold that not more than 1 day after it was taken out along with the front d-shaft for 300 total.

I'm not really sure why I would ever put the AWD TC back in. I guess for now I just wanted to make sure that the BW4406 I bought wasnt a lemmon. If it was, I could at least put things back together as they were. I also changed all the u-joints on the donor driveshafts, I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it but getting the rusty spring clips out was a pain. Even after soaking them overnight they still snapped. I ended up using a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut them and pry them out in two pieces. I used PbBlaster and WD40.. Both seemed to work equally as well. I wish they JY would store the driveshafts inside.

AWD - 4406 Manual T/C swap, driveshaft too long...

Anybody got time to measure their conversion rear driveshaft? I've done the swap and am back on the ground, however the '99 Exped., 4.6L, 4x4, std. suspension rear 'donor' driveshaft is too long by 4-5 inches! My B/W 4406 is from a '99 F-150 & is installed in my '98 5.0L Mountaineer.

I measured the only another '99 Exped. driveshaft at the yard this a.m. and it is same as mine. This thing measures 41 1/8 inches on the solid part of the driveshaft (universal 'ear' to 'ear'). FYI, total length from end of slip-in yoke to rear diff flange is about 48 1/2inches.

'Guess I have a Front-wheel-drive Mounty till after the weekend.

So I just did my TT/Warriors this weekend and put on some new shoes. 32x11.50x15 ProComp Mud Terrains. My baby's first real steps toward becoming an off-road monster...So proud.

Attachments

• new shoes.jpg
    new shoes.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 745

woot woot...and you didn't even mention the rain!
and we have to get you a new bumper...and put the hitch on...

You're starting to look like Gerald, which is scary :D

Lookin' good :cool: but I'd just forget about the rear bumper, to be honest. Without a body lift you're going to drag that puppy across EVERYTHING. Putting on a hitch is going to limit your departure angle too.

and the old bumper war starts....

Yeah, the garage we were working closed down at 5 and we had to finish the TT in the parking lot in the rain. It was a good time, dirty, greasy, then wet.

Well this is not only my daily driver, but my only driver, so the bumpers have to stay. Though, I'm thinking about replacing them with some heavy duty ones (probably allowing much better approach and departure angles).

My rear driveshaft is ~34" from yoke to yoke- it sounds like they gave you an F150 driveshaft. :dunno:

It was a rear DS from a 4.6 Expedition. After lots of research and lots of driving around town to crawl under Expeditions, we've found out that the 4.6 trucks have a shorter transmission than the 5.4 trucks - thus the 4-5" longer DS behind the 4.6

Long story short - donor MUST be a 5.4!

Wait the 5.4L D shaft is 4-5" longer, this is the shaft that he apparently has and it WONT work?

Wait the 5.4L D shaft is 4-5" longer, this is the shaft that he apparently has and it WONT work?

Dad has a shaft out of a 4.6 and it is too long for the swap. We crawled under 2 other 4.6's and they were the same length (too long). The trucks with the 5.4 have the correct length (34" yoke/yoke) shaft.

The transmissions are not the same. The 5.4's have a larger transmission and the tranny x-member itself mounts further back on the frame rail than it does on a 4.6

We were able to find a '99 4.6 and a '99 5.4 parked next to each other and the difference was amazing.

I thought the transmissions were the same- could the block be shorter, moving the transmission forward? Weird!

There is even an intermediate bell housing/adapter between the transmission and the t-case on 4.6 trucks. The tcase does not bolt directly to the tranny behind a 4.6 like it does on a 5.4.

Weird - I know

I didn't have a camera with me, otherwise I would've taken pics.

Yeah, the garage we were working closed down at 5 and we had to finish the TT in the parking lot in the rain. It was a good time, dirty, greasy, then wet.

Well this is not only my daily driver, but my only driver, so the bumpers have to stay. Though, I'm thinking about replacing them with some heavy duty ones (probably allowing much better approach and departure angles).

I didn't mean take the bumper off completely, lol! Maybe I misread, but I thought you were replacing your dented stock rear bumper with another stock one. I was merely saying that if it's dented, leave it be, because you're going to dent it a lottttttttt more ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is even an intermediate bell housing/adapter between the transmission and the t-case on 4.6 trucks. The tcase does not bolt directly to the tranny behind a 4.6 like it does on a 5.4.

Weird - I know

I didn't have a camera with me, otherwise I would've taken pics.

What is even stranger is the front DS it seems to make no difference on. We need to get this all straight so that others won't have issues like you did. I guess 410, 97 V8 and I just got lucky in our swaps?

Back