Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flyboycoe's AWD 5.0 to 4WD Conversion

go to front range muffler on cascade for exhaust work, very cheep and very very good, I was amazed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cheap for a cut and balance, keep in mind you will need the slip yoke for the transfercase.

My case came with a yoke attached to the tailshaft (for a u-joint), not a slip. Like this:
tw058.jpg

wha? Are you sure you have a 4406. From what i hav seen and researched all 4406's had a slip yoke.

wha? Are you sure you have a 4406. From what i hav seen and researched all 4406's had a slip yoke.

What he said^^^^^^

I also have no sec cats. The only other thing that is a little to close for me was the gas tank. However, big hammer will fix that.

Used the T-case for the first (real) time last night. Had to pull a buddy's Cavalier out of a flooded grassy area.

A manual case is definately more fulfilling than turning a switch :cool: :thumbsup:

Ok I've got to chime in on the yoke you have along with everyone else. Do you have any pics of it in the truck we could gander at. I know that I'd like to get rid of that slip yoke and put in a slip shaft.

Well, I got most of the work done yesterday, and my X is drivable againg! :D But I'm kinda stupid. I do in fact have the slip yoke on my case. Apparently the shop I bought my case from sealed the tail shaft with a slip that had a fixed yoke attached to the end. It was stuck on there pretty well until I was installing the t-case and it popped loose while torquing on it. So I was able to use the rear drive shaft that I bought off the expedition. However, I fell victim to the 4.6L V8 front drive shaft issue as some of you guys have in the past. The parts store told me it was off a 5.4L, but they were wrong. So I'm running on 2wd for now, until I can exchange that front shaft.

After cutting off the inside secondary cat, the t-case went on with relative ease. I busted my old gasket, so we just RTV'd it. Got the rear drive shaft installed, and put the gas tank back up. I was relieved to discover that the front gas tank bracket did not need to be modified. If fit just fine, even with my 20 gal tank.

After filling up the fluids and patching the 16" gap in my exhaust where my cat used to be, I went for a test drive. It handles great in 2wd, but I noticed a grinding sound when trying to switch into 4HI from Neutral, with the transmission in gear. Once I put the tranny into N, the t-case shifted just fine. But now I have a great excuse to get that cat-back system. :thumbsup:

The next step now is to reconstruct my center console, which was thoroughly disassembled while trying to remove it. When I got to the step where you slide the console back to free it from the floor, it was really tough, and wouldn't budge. So I figured there was a screw or bolt I missed, and I went searching for it. I finally got mad and just pulled like hell. All I was missing was the elbow grease.

I'm sure once I get my new front shaft I'll love having the 4406. And trying to install one with minimal knowledge was quite the learning experience.

(Pictures to come later, it was dark when I finished working last night)

thats good, oh and yeah, i dont have secondary cats.

Great job man. It's funny you didn't have to persuade the gas tank bracket, but as everyone says every truck is different. Congrats!

Quick question, I haven't tried it yet, but will the old stock t-case skid plate fit over the 4406? I left my skid plate at my buddy's garage, and was curious if it was worth going back to get it.

Great job man. It's funny you didn't have to persuade the gas tank bracket, but as everyone says every truck is different. Congrats!

Can't wait to get my front shaft and try out 4Lo. Although, I guess this makes me one of the few explorers with a 2Lo option for now.

I had to "shim" the drivers side with like 10 washers a bolt to get it to fit, but I definitely didn't feel comfortable with it not on there.

I had to "shim" the drivers side with like 10 washers a bolt to get it to fit, but I definitely didn't feel comfortable with it not on there.

You think a BFH would be able to get it in a better shape to fit?

You might be able to bend it to fit, but I wouldn't spent the energy on it. Way to easy to simply shim it.

nny thing is my 12# sledge has all the energy needed built in, no shims required

nny thing is my 12# sledge has all the energy needed built in, no shims required

LOL, only problem is getting the holes to line up after :D

holes lined up 100% no issue, where you bend or modify the bracket to clear the t case should not effect the mounting.

Keep an eye on your trans mount, that 4406 is about twice as heavy as the AWD case and can cause the stock trans mount to wear out much faster

Keep an eye on your trans mount, that 4406 is about twice as heavy as the AWD case and can cause the stock trans mount to wear out much faster

I was thinking about that. Is there an effective way of reinforcing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked up my front driveshaft this afternoon from the same place I got the first one, Denver Truck Parts (38th and Walnut for us Mile Highers). The guys there were really helpful. Normally they have a policy of "check your part before you leave, if you buy the wrong part, you now have a spare" (as the sign reads). But I explained to them what I was doing and that my driveshaft was too long. So they took me back to the warehouse and sized it up along with other F-150 front shafts. Sure enough, I found the one I needed. The clerk said "Yep, that's the 4.6 liter." I'm going to put this in bold so people can find it later:

The front driveshaft needs to come off of a 4.6L V8 F-150 or Expedition.

2570635_21_full.jpg

For the same reason that the rear shaft needs to come from a 5.4L V8. The transmissions used on those trucks are different lengths (with adapters). Therefore so are the driveshafts. The 5.4L front shaft is about 4 inches too long for the Explorer with the BW 4406 t-case. I guess all the rest of you got lucky and picked up the correct shaft. Anyway, my hybrid u-joint was already on the other shaft, and I asked if they would switch it out for me. They were too busy, so he told me to just take it. So I got my new driveshaft for free! :D Two for the price of one, except that one of them is essentially worthless.

I will be installing the new shaft tomorrow afternoon most likely, and will then search for some stuff to climb over in 4LO! :D

If anybody wants a spare driveshaft for their 5.4L F-150 or Expedition, let me know. That goes for the perfectly good Explorer AWD transfer case as well.

Back