Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 123 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Recall ALL of them?? Why?? Majority of them DON'T have an issue and there hasn't been 1 person on the forum that has bought a monitor to check levels as seen anything that is even remotely in the dangerous level or concerning level or excessive levels.

PS - No need to use all caps on words.
I bought a CO monitor and tried it out today. I had the Tsb performed last week and as soon as I accelerated above 3500 rpms the exhaust smell filled my cabin. I had a rental car for a few days and tested out the monitor in that first. The levels stayed at 5 or 6 ppm no matter how high I brought the RPM's up on that Cherokee. Put it in my Explorer today and the second I brought my rpms up above 3500 the monitor went up to 26ppm. This is after Ford supposedly fixed my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a CO monitor and tried it out today. I had the Tsb performed last week and as soon as I accelerated above 3500 rpms the exhaust smell filled my cabin. I had a rental car for a few days and tested out the monitor in that first. The levels stayed at 5 or 6 ppm no matter how high I brought the RPM's up on that Cherokee. Put it in my Explorer today and the second I brought my rpms up above 3500 the monitor went up to 26ppm. This is after Ford supposedly fixed my car.

Can you tell us which brand / model of CO monitor you have?

Automatic switching will only occur if you have the Climate set to Auto and then it is only to regulate the inside temperature.

Peter

As far as the HVAC switching from RECIRC to FRESH, I believe they are now reprogramming the HVAC to switch to FRESH after it detects hard acceleration.

Can you tell us which brand / model of CO monitor you have?

As far as the HVAC switching from RECIRC to FRESH, I believe they are now reprogramming the HVAC to switch to FRESH after it detects hard acceleration.

Oops! It's the Sensorcon Inspector. Also, I took the car out again and tried a bunch of different scenarios with it. It skyrocketed with the A/C on in recirc as I expected (it actually went up to 56ppm) but surprisingly it also went up with no A/C on, with the A/C on but not in recirc. And with the whole climate system turned off and windows and sunroof open.

My dealer did the first phase of the TSB, and I am happy to say that I've not smelled any odours since. I've put on 2K, and covered all the acceleration possibilities, as well as having the HVAC set to recirc during the acceleration, and nothing since the repair. Hopefully I can put this issue to rest.

What TSB # are you referring to?

TSB17-0044

Thanks tinner, we meet again!

Get back on the F150 Forum, lol.

I don't think Ford would have done the recall if the Feds hadn't put the heat on the them. This issue has been going on for years and Ford did what, keep on selling them -status quo. It took police depts. to rank them off the streets and national news and then Ford finally stepped up. Miracles do happen.

This isn't a recall, and further, the investigation hasn't ended from NHTSA. We may still see a recall even after the customer satisfaction program action.

My bad - I had recall on the brain today after finding out Ford is recalling F150s for faulty door latches, which includes 15-17MY and that's me. So the Ex. and the truck will be going to the dealer in the near future.Good times.

I am toxicologist who joined this forum so I can share information on how to measure carbon monoxide (CO) levels in Ford Explorers and the drivers of Ford Explorers.

I bought my 2014 Explorer brand new from the dealership a few years ago and I have the exhaust issue, but your post got me thinking. My wife was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. To date, doctors can't determine what causes MS but the current thinking is that environmental factors affect those with pre-existing markers. We take my vehicle everywhere and your post got me wondering if the two could be connected.

Also interesting, is the fact that after my last service Ford called me and offered to buy my vehicle back out of the blue. Said they're having trouble finding Explorers that are in good condition that they can recertify and because of this can make me a good deal. They don't know anything about my wife's diagnosis and I don't think I ever reported the exhaust issue to them. I am planning on meeting with them this weekend to see what they have to offer on a new 2017.

Anything I should be concerned about here?

I bought my 2014 Explorer brand new from the dealership a few years ago and I have the exhaust issue, but your post got me thinking. My wife was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. To date, doctors can't determine what causes MS but the current thinking is that environmental factors affect those with pre-existing markers. We take my vehicle everywhere and your post got me wondering if the two could be connected.

Also interesting, is the fact that after my last service Ford called me and offered to buy my vehicle back out of the blue. Said they're having trouble finding Explorers that are in good condition that they can recertify and because of this can make me a good deal. They don't know anything about my wife's diagnosis and I don't think I ever reported the exhaust issue to them. I am planning on meeting with them this weekend to see what they have to offer on a new 2017.

Very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis.
As for the call from Ford, that is just a chance for them to sell you a new vehicle while getting an older one in good condition in return. I lease my vehicles and both my 2011 Limited and 2014 MKT never saw the end of the lease due to the dealership wanting to get them back. Mine always have very, very low mileage on them. I doubt my current one will see the end of its 4 year lease as well. I'll have it a year on Halloween and by that time I should have about 3,000 miles on it.

Peter

The 2017's have the same exhaust issue- I wouldn't buy one unless you go in with a CO monitor that displays low levels of CO and take that thing out full throttle over 3500 rpms and make sure the levels test out ok.

The 2017's have the same exhaust issue- I wouldn't buy one unless you go in with a CO monitor that displays low levels of CO and take that thing out full throttle over 3500 rpms and make sure the levels test out ok.
Given my experiences with the previous 2011 Ltd and current Platinum I have no hesitation in getting the redesigned Explorer when it comes out. I have tried WOT as a test a few times in both with no issues and don't normally drive over 3500 rpms.

Peter

Very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis.
As for the call from Ford, that is just a chance for them to sell you a new vehicle while getting an older one in good condition in return. I lease my vehicles and both my 2011 Limited and 2014 MKT never saw the end of the lease due to the dealership wanting to get them back. Mine always have very, very low mileage on them. I doubt my current one will see the end of its 4 year lease as well. I'll have it a year on Halloween and by that time I should have about 3,000 miles on it.

Peter

Yeah I understand them wanting to sell me a new vehicle while getting mine back in good quality, but what caught my attention was their insistence that they could do all this without it costing me a dollar or raising my current monthly note.

I'll definitely be bringing the exhaust issue up and won't accept it unless they can prove it has been fixed.

Haha, wish someone would buyback mine like that. Mine is down right now (again) and won't be back until next week.

I'm guessing it was a dealer sales pitch. Take in your car, sell you a new unit under the guise of doing you a favor.

Wife's 2017 was purchased in February and has had exhaust smell issue since day one. Smell kept getting progressively worse so she took it in for service this past week. Dealer replaced the hatch door gasket and a software fix to mix more fresh air. I think it'll be the same procedure that'll be used on the service bulletin fix that starts next month. Didn't fix the problem. Dealer acted as this was their first customer complaint on this and said they'd contact Ford about their failure to cure the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 EXP LTD BD 06/02/2011. 1000 miles.

Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration. This is easily repeatable and
happens every time.

Well now we have another confirmed issue with my LTD. Under hard accelerations
coming from an on ramp and merging with fast moving
traffic only. Other wise, all you smell is the new leather in the cabin.

Accelerating normally, no smell. You have to accelerate at 3500 to
5000 rpm for this to occur. A/C is on, does not matter if climate is
set to "recirculation" or if set to vent outside air. If anything, it is
more acute if vent is set to "recirc".

I am assuming the vent door blend system on this vehicle is operated via
vacuum created by the intake manifold and piped through the firewall
to a distribution block some where under the dash. As it takes a couple
of seconds for the doors to move when changing climate settings.
If this is true there could be an issue on how the vacuum lines were
run during factory assembly, or a bad one way vacuum check valve
causing some of the crank case fumes (intended to be recirculated
back into the intake manifold to be re-burnt as part of this vehicles emissions solution),
to enter the vacuum tubing being routed to the cabin for blend door operation.

But even then, there would probably have to be a loose vacuum tube somewhere
under the interior's dash to allow the fumes to leak into the
cabin air.

This only occurs under hard acceleration when very high amounts
of vacuum are generated by the intake manifold.

Of course, I could be way off base and blend door activation could be
electrically driven, but most car makers use a vacuum system, and
have not had the opportunity to discuss this with the
service team yet, but will tomorrow when I take in to have the suspension
popping noise diagnosed. Apparently they will need to keep it all day for
that, so they can also take a look at the vacuum line routing,
check valve operation and the EGR tube routing to see if every thing looks correct.

I have found during searching this forum, that others have experienced this
also. But have seemed to write it off as the vehicle just burning off some
under coating over spray or something vague like that. But if that were the issue,
you would smell it all the time once the vehicle systems warmed up to operating temperatures.
And the smell should be much less when not venting air from the outside of the vehicle and
somewhat more when climate control is
set to "vent" and you are venting air from the outside.

We will have to see what the service team can come up with.
Ford is recalling many models and years for just this issue. Google it and see if yours is one of them.

Back