Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I am getting the same smell inside my X. Agree with the crank case vapor smell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No odors here on my early build (November) Limited with +16,000 miles.

Engine Smell

I also have the engine smell when accelorating along with the sticky window situation - both front windows no matter what I do. Navigation will say SD card fault and I have to reinstall the SD card which negates my destination. I've never had a vehicle new or used with so many stupid problems. I still like it a lot, though. What it does well, it does very well.
Ford, you have got to do better. My last Ford product was a 91 Sable-my wife hated it.

2011 Ex, Limited 4wd, 302A package, platinum, mid June 2011 build date, 2.11 update

I have the same issue. It happened last night while getting on the parkway. I'm bringing it into the dealer on Friday for some other issues and will add this to the list.

I want to say my friends Cadillac CTS 2006 gives off the same smells under hard acceleration and it was at 40 - 50K miles. I've accelerated pretty hard on the Explorer very early in the 1k break in procedure.

At the beginning, there was this burning smell that was really annoying. Windows up and everything and it would still enter into the cabin. I was told it was the catalytic converter breaking in and stuff. Now, at 3.6k miles. I have no smells related to that. I guess let your car break in. If it persists, I think you should check the dealer.

I've also been in a Toyota that had the same problem. So I guess it's not all Ford.

I mentioned this on the previous page and in case you may have missed it, I’m reaching out with an offer to help. For those who are experiencing the burnt smell, if you haven’t already done so, please PM me with your contact info, dealer, VIN, and mileage so I can escalate your concern.

Cory

I took mine in, and the technician got to smell what I'm smelling. He said it was a smell between rotten eggs and sulphur, not really a burnt oil smell. They're going to look into the matter and get back with me.

I also have the engine smell when accelorating along with the sticky window situation - both front windows no matter what I do. Navigation will say SD card fault and I have to reinstall the SD card which negates my destination. I've never had a vehicle new or used with so many stupid problems. I still like it a lot, though. What it does well, it does very well.
Ford, you have got to do better. My last Ford product was a 91 Sable-my wife hated it.

2011 Ex, Limited 4wd, 302A package, platinum, mid June 2011 build date, 2.11 update

Even after the 2.11 update - you are still getting nav faults? Take it to your dealer. Most likely either the Nav card is bad, or the card reader is bad.

Just received a call from the serviceman at my Ford dealership, and what a Ford technician sheet is telling him is that there are no known issues regarding this and that it should disappear around 10,000 miles. So, I paid $40,000 for a new vehicle and I smell this everytime I accelerate, and it's getting worse. It use to only smell when I really accelerated to get in front of someone. Now just getting on the Interstate, it smells. Guess I'll have to wait to reach to 10,000 miles. I would have expected more from a company like Ford. I never had this issue on my 1997 F-150 when it was new.

Well, if that's their answer, they need a better one.
At least they admit to being able to duplicate this issue.

There is no way a smell as bad as this should be entering the passenger
cabin of Ford's flagship SUV with climate control set to recirculate.
If it's not a "known" issue, then Ford needs to "learn" about it.
There is a problem and they need to escalate this to a Ford
engineer from Ford.

If your dealer refuses then you should use other avenues
that are available to the customer to escalate. I would
start with Cory here on the forum, and go from there.
Don't forget the BBB and others. Might not do any good
but at least then it's on public record.

I have the same problem and when I have the time to be
without my LTD for a whole day again, I will ride with my
service tech and duplicate the issue, and then see where
it goes from there.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my LTD, but Ford's response
to the issues with this vehicle are painfully slow, almost seems
like a reluctance on their part to stand behind their product until
forced to do so. But most large corporations behave in this manner.
After all, it's all about the money, and the next quarters profits.

Thanks 1banger. Quite frankly, I waited weeks for this vehicle, and I love everything about this vehicle except this smell. I have asthma and had to an additional medication just to be able to drive my new X. I'm thinking about parking her in my driveway and go back to my 1997 F-150, at least it didn't have smells emitting from it when it was brand new, and at over 300,000 miles on it, it still doesn't have any smells like with my new 2011 X. I'm going to keep on top of this though.

start with Cory here on the forum, and go from there.
Don't forget the BBB and others. Might not do any good
but at least then it's on public record.

+1 Cory

Do you guys (with the smell/odor issue) get headaches, with AC on, and windows closed?

Thanks 1banger. Quite frankly, I waited weeks for this vehicle, and I love everything about this vehicle except this smell. I have asthma and had to an additional medication just to be able to drive my new X. I'm thinking about parking her in my driveway and go back to my 1997 F-150, at least it didn't have smells emitting from it when it was brand new, and at over 300,000 miles on it, it still doesn't have any smells like with my new 2011 X. I'm going to keep on top of this though.
Bonnie Lynn,
I double checked and I made sure you’ll be called today to discuss this further.

Well, if that's their answer, they need a better one.
At least they admit to being able to duplicate this issue.

There is no way a smell as bad as this should be entering the passenger
cabin of Ford's flagship SUV with climate control set to recirculate.
If it's not a "known" issue, then Ford needs to "learn" about it.
There is a problem and they need to escalate this to a Ford
engineer from Ford.

start with Cory here on the forum, and go from there...
Thank you very much for the recommendations, 1banger & calb. I really appreciate it.

Cory

Bonnie Lynn,
I double checked and I made sure you’ll be called today to discuss this further.

Thanks Cory. Yes, Shauna called me yesterday (August 2nd), and the smell she thought we were smelling was being described by Ford technicians as a sulphur smell. I tried to explain to her that it is most definitely not a sulphur smell which I acquate that smell to being like rotten eggs, and this is definitely not that. Anyways, I now have an appointment to take my X in on Monday and they're going to keep it until they figure out the problem. I'll keep you posted. I just wish those engineers at Ford were more competent in solving this problem.

Went to the dealer earlier today and test drove the my2011/LTD (dealers next the freeway), I tried the same hard accel. and smelt it at the top of the rpm cycle of 4100 to 4800. Its bad, and 1banger is right on, exhaust too part of the issue, has anyone gotten sick from this yet?

I've also had this problem. I have about 1,700 miles on my Ex. I thought it was related to the transmission, and I called my dealer yesterday and he told me that the transmission had a sealant around it, and that's what is smelling. I asked him how many miles would this happen, up to 5,000? He told me it could even be closer to 10,000 miles on the vehicle. He said if there was a real problem, that it would come up on my warning lights. Sounds pretty weird for a vehicle that was $40,000 + to have a smell such as this.

Makes sense. I initially had the same smell under hard acceleration when I first got the truck. I have about 8000km (5000miles) now and I don't notice it any more.

Makes sense. I initially had the same smell under hard acceleration when I first got the truck. I have about 8000km (5000miles) now and I don't notice it any more.

I have 23000Km on mine and I still get it. Just durign hard accelerations. Ford will have to figure this one out. I'm going for an oil change when I get back off vacation. I'll ask the service dept. It has nothing to do with breaking in the vehicle. No smells from the engine compartment should get into the passenger area of the vehicle. Safety hazard. Gases of any sort should not get in there. If this smell is getting in, what else is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went to the dealer earlier today and test drove the my2011/LTD (dealers next the freeway), I tried the same hard accel. and smelt it at the top of the rpm cycle of 4100 to 4800. Its bad, and 1banger is right on, exhaust too part of the issue, has anyone gotten sick from this yet?

I have. But I have asthma, and you can imagine what that smell does to one's lungs. Can the people behind me see or smell it I wonder, or is it just a smell that enters the cabin?

Back