Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Here is what you all are smelling!!!!!!! What you and everybody else is smelling under hard acceleration is the burning, (smoking) smell of the chopped strand fiberglass wrapping in parts of the mufflers. There is a lot of heat, and I mean a lot generated in the mufflers when you get on it, and it's driven hard....when this material gets hot enough its does not really burn as such, but get so hot it starts to more melt and smoke away, and it gives off the smell everyone has trouble describing....How do I know, well Mustangs have also had this problem, condition and smell for some time. After changing the axle back mufflers on our 2011 Mustang, the smell is gone. and after putting up with it for far too long, I dissected one of the mufflers, found the chopped strand fiberglass and burned some of it....there it was the very strong acrid smell described serveral ways....No question about it !!! It takes very little of this material to cause a terrific smell, which no doubt is drawn in to the vehicle, and it lingers in the vehicle for some time, from the rear recirculation vents...HAVAK AC vents.....So there it is, do what you will with it....best regards Plum

Thanks Milty for the words of support on my observations......

And for those that want to follow your hard running heatem up but good cure, I believe this will work also, but it just takes a little time, well, quite a little, and quite some gas money.....You could just replace the mufflers and rear axle back resonator/mufflers. Trouble here is it will cost you quite a bit to do this. I hesitate to post this, as it will sound crazy, but, it will speed up considerably the burn out method you have put forward....From the rear bottom side of the rear mufflers, where the exhaust pipe enters the muffler, measure 3" forward, and place a mark where the center of the entering exhaust pipe would be...Drill a 5/16" pilot hole upward through the bottom skin of the muffler and into and through the center of the hidden inlet pipe. Enlarge the hole to 1/2".....This will not adversely make the exhaust sound much louder, but what it will do is allow, under acceleration, more 02 to combust in the muffler and burn out the offending fiberglass packing sooner....keep in mind this might effect your warrantee, especially if Ford ever elects to fix the known problem.....best regards Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TSB done, smell still there

Picked my 13 Explorer up from the dealership last night. TSB was done, ($600 out of pocket) and SURPRISE the smell is still there!! I am beyond frustrated and completely sick of the run around Ford is giving customers. They have to be completely aware of this problem. I am left with a car that is unsafe and not sure what to do from here? Will be getting in contact with the dealership management this morning and go from there.

Picked my 13 Explorer up from the dealership last night. TSB was done, ($600 out of pocket) and SURPRISE the smell is still there!! I am beyond frustrated and completely sick of the run around Ford is giving customers. They have to be completely aware of this problem. I am left with a car that is unsafe and not sure what to do from here? Will be getting in contact with the dealership management this morning and go from there.

Not sure how much you read through this post but there are far too many people on here that reported the tsb didn't fix or reduce it. I wouldn't have had it done out of pocket based on that. Sorry it did t work for you.

There have also been people who have put co2 detectors in their Ex and they don't register anything dangerous. One person who is an HVAC tech and has commercial equipment more sensitive picked up some but it was well within the safe limits. So although it is unpleasant, the vehicle is not unsafe or dangerous to someone's health. Although still upsetting I'm sure, just wanted to throw that out there to ease the safety concern.

Exhaust fumes are not safe...

Not sure how much you read through this post but there are far too many people on here that reported the tsb didn't fix or reduce it. I wouldn't have had it done out of pocket based on that. Sorry it did t work for you.

There have also been people who have put co2 detectors in their Ex and they don't register anything dangerous. One person who is an HVAC tech and has commercial equipment more sensitive picked up some but it was well within the safe limits. So although it is unpleasant, the vehicle is not unsafe or dangerous to someone's health. Although still upsetting I'm sure, just wanted to throw that out there to ease the safety concern.

It is unsafe! A 2013 vehicle should never have exhaust fumes coming in. Hydrocarbons?
Anyway, took it to the dealer again today after work, and took the service manager for a ride, and he smelt it the whole time. He is going to get in touch with Ford and call me tomorrow afternoon. Curious what they come up with? Will post more tomorrow after I hear back from them. If anyone has had to take legal action feel free to chime in. Any advice is appreciated

Sorry to read that the problem is still there. As blwnsmoke mentioned, the TSB has had very little success in fixing the issue. As for Ford giving you the runaround, I'm not really convinced that they, like many members on this Forum, really know what is the true cause of the smell.

Peter

It is unsafe! A 2013 vehicle should never have exhaust fumes coming in. Hydrocarbons?
Anyway, took it to the dealer again today after work, and took the service manager for a ride, and he smelt it the whole time. He is going to get in touch with Ford and call me tomorrow afternoon. Curious what they come up with? Will post more tomorrow after I hear back from them. If anyone has had to take legal action feel free to chime in. Any advice is appreciated

Not trying to argue.. it is just my opinion. From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, hydrocarbons are a combination of hydrogen and carbon. As I had said CO and co2 detectors were placed in the rear of the vehicles and registered below the limits of enclosed spaces. We breath this stuff in all the time. we follow vehicles, we are right behind them in traffic, we follow diesel trucks (18 wheelers, dump trucks etc etc).

I'm not making an excuse.. I've had the issue, and it wanted to make me gag, quickly rolled down the windows but the TSB cured it for me. At least after 2 years, I haven't been able to duplicate it again since the TSB. I know the smell, it is unpleasant.. it shouldn't be there and no one should have to deal with it. Not defending Ford on this one bit. But the people on here that are saying it is poisoning their families/children and it's unsafe etc etc have no scientific evidence to prove it is above the safe levels and everything so far on here has proved that it is within limits and/or hasn't registered anything at harmful levels.

I hope something works out for you with the service manager. At the very least, i'd request a refund since the repair didn't solve anything and the service manager experienced it first hand. However I don't feel anything will be able to be done any further. there are a bunch of people that are in that same boat right now and Ford hasn't solved the issue.

Actually shocks me that Ford is pumping out 120,000+ of these a year knowing this problem still exists in some of them.

See post #8 in the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394912

It seems that Ford will be removing the platinum from the catalytic convertors.
It appears they have determined that it is causing the rotten egg smell some are experiencing.

Peter

On my 2013 Edge I only get the smell when any window is open a little or all the way down and I hit the gas to pass or get on the freeway,do you think this will fix my problem also? By the way my smell is exhaust,does not smell like rotten eggs,it smells like if you was standing behind the tail pipes with the engine running.

On my 2013 Edge I only get the smell when any window is open a little or all the way down and I hit the gas to pass or get on the freeway,do you think this will fix my problem also? By the way my smell is exhaust,does not smell like rotten eggs,it smells like if you was standing behind the tail pipes with the engine running.

This is exactly what we are dealing with. My husband and I did all kinds of testing on the Explorer today. We extended the tail pipes and tried it, smell still there. It completely seems to me that it is horrible design from Ford. I am suppose to take mine back to the dealer Monday so they can do a seal test on it. Whatever that is? Everything is sealing. We have told them the manifold is leaking and they won't replace it. They replaced the gasket, and did the TSB, and nothing has worked. SO, this morning we did a video of the leak on the rear manifold so we have it on video to show them. I will try to post the link so everyone else can see.

Video of 2013 Ford Explorer Manifold leaking

Video of rear exhaust manifold leaking, and Ford doesn't see it. They only replaced the gasket. However, this leak was after they replaced the gasket. Hopefully you all can see the leak very clearly. Not sure how they don't when they had it first think in the morning to look for it.

WoW, after all these problems, I hope my yet to be built `14 Explorer Limited will be Job 2 with the convertors fixed. I`m not good with shelling out $43,000 dollars for a new vehicle & having something like this happen.

This is exactly what we are dealing with. My husband and I did all kinds of testing on the Explorer today. We extended the tail pipes and tried it, smell still there. It completely seems to me that it is horrible design from Ford. I am suppose to take mine back to the dealer Monday so they can do a seal test on it. Whatever that is? Everything is sealing. We have told them the manifold is leaking and they won't replace it. They replaced the gasket, and did the TSB, and nothing has worked. SO, this morning we did a video of the leak on the rear manifold so we have it on video to show them. I will try to post the link so everyone else can see.

Looks like a leaking gasket to me. Hopefully they fix it for you this time. I have a Sport and get the smell. I changed the exhaust and extended the pipes and it seemed to get rid of most of it. Maybe i need to check my gasket as well, who knows.

WoW, after all these problems, I hope my yet to be built `14 Explorer Limited will be Job 2 with the convertors fixed. I`m not good with shelling out $43,000 dollars for a new vehicle & having something like this happen.
Make sure you take it for a ride under hard acceleration with a window cracked. Good luck

I think the seal test will test to see if the exhaust has a leak in it somewhere,What I have seen people do is use a rag and hold it over the tail pipe this will show if you have any leaks in the exhaust anywhere, Im sure the dealer has a way better way to do this. :salute:

Not trying to argue.. it is just my opinion. From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, hydrocarbons are a combination of hydrogen and carbon. As I had said CO and co2 detectors were placed in the rear of the vehicles and registered below the limits of enclosed spaces. We breath this stuff in all the time. we follow vehicles, we are right behind them in traffic, we follow diesel trucks (18 wheelers, dump trucks etc etc).

I'm not making an excuse.. I've had the issue, and it wanted to make me gag, quickly rolled down the windows but the TSB cured it for me. At least after 2 years, I haven't been able to duplicate it again since the TSB. I know the smell, it is unpleasant.. it shouldn't be there and no one should have to deal with it. Not defending Ford on this one bit. But the people on here that are saying it is poisoning their families/children and it's unsafe etc etc have no scientific evidence to prove it is above the safe levels and everything so far on here has proved that it is within limits and/or hasn't registered anything at harmful levels.

I hope something works out for you with the service manager. At the very least, i'd request a refund since the repair didn't solve anything and the service manager experienced it first hand. However I don't feel anything will be able to be done any further. there are a bunch of people that are in that same boat right now and Ford hasn't solved the issue.

Actually shocks me that Ford is pumping out 120,000+ of these a year knowing this problem still exists in some of them.

Just because it registered below legal limits that is only one test one time, every time you drive your vehicle you breath in more,I know on my Edge when I first smelled it yes it stunk but it did not make me sick or give me a headache,but since every time it does it now I get sick to my stomach and get a headache my wife also,so now I drive different, now if I need to pass another car or get on the freeway we make sure to close all the windows,as long as the windows are closed the smell does not come in,so Im not sure if my Edge has the same issue you all have with the Explorer.Does not matter neither vehicle should be doing this.The service manger at my dealer calls once a month to tell me he has not heard anything from Ford,all I tell him is thanks for calling to tell me NOTHING. :(

Just because it registered below legal limits that is only one test one time, every time you drive your vehicle you breath in more,I know on my Edge when I first smelled it yes it stunk but it did not make me sick or give me a headache,but since every time it does it now I get sick to my stomach and get a headache my wife also,so now I drive different, now if I need to pass another car or get on the freeway we make sure to close all the windows,as long as the windows are closed the smell does not come in,so Im not sure if my Edge has the same issue you all have with the Explorer.Does not matter neither vehicle should be doing this.The service manger at my dealer calls once a month to tell me he has not heard anything from Ford,all I tell him is thanks for calling to tell me NOTHING. :(

Picked my car up from the dealer tonight. They did a leak/seal test, put another bolt on the rear exhaust manifold, and guess what? Not fixed! I am not sure what to do next. I would be very interested to know if anyone has taken legal action on this? Their clearly is enough people dealing with it. I am not sitting back and paying the amount of money I do to be told how to drive my car and when it's OK to have my windows down. I might go to the media that might get Fords attention.

Picked my car up from the dealer tonight. They did a leak/seal test, put another bolt on the rear exhaust manifold, and guess what? Not fixed! I am not sure what to do next. I would be very interested to know if anyone has taken legal action on this? Their clearly is enough people dealing with it. I am not sitting back and paying the amount of money I do to be told how to drive my car and when it's OK to have my windows down. I might go to the media that might get Fords attention.

Did you get your money refunded for the TSB performed? No one on here has posted about taking any type of legal action.

Did you get your money refunded for the TSB performed? No one on here has posted about taking any type of legal action.

They won't give me my money back. They say it's a service bulletin not a safety bulletin.

I was wondering when someone was going to do that. I sure would if I had the issue and couldn't get it fixed. No manufacturer likes to see their name in print tied to a defect the can't/won't fix.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They won't give me my money back. They say it's a service bulletin not a safety bulletin.

I'd still fight the charge. They are charging you for a repair that didn't fix your vehicle. I know you don't want to ruin a relationship with the dealership who is working with you but I'd still be all over that. I feel it is no different then a HVAC tech coming to fix my furnace and didn't fix it. I wouldn't be paying them parts and labor for a misdiagnosis or a failed repair.

Back