Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Did they actually leave the dealership with it and, you know take it out on the highway?

Did the guy driving have severe congestion due to cold or allergies?

Had it to the dealer, they kept it for two full days only to tell me they could not duplicated it. They suggested I wait for Ford to publish something. In the meantime, are we being poisoned? I sent a PM to Cory, let's see what he can do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had it to the dealer, they kept it for two full days only to tell me they could not duplicated it. They suggested I wait for Ford to publish something. In the meantime, are we being poisoned? I sent a PM to Cory, let's see what he can do.
If you can produce this smell 'on demand' so to speak, why not ask one of the techs or service reps at the dealership to come along on a drive with you?

Peter

If you can produce this smell 'on demand' so to speak, why not ask one of the techs or service reps at the dealership to come along on a drive with you?

Peter

That's what I did and they said, YEAH, that smells terrible! Kept it for 2 weeks until till Ford Rep said, we don't know how to fix that yet. You'll get TSB when it is developed.

So, ask yourself...what's the point of taking it in?

To Frustrated and Peter K9, thanks for your responses. I can only assume (hate that word) that they took it out on the highway and really put it through the paces since they had it for 2 full days and racked up 18 miles on the trip meter that I reset prior to leaving it for them. Can tell they drove it hard by the MPG they got during those 18 miles. Much lower than usual plus they used up the comparable fuel. As for did the technician have a stuffy nose, who knows, if the smell would have appeared he would have smelled it. Anybody that is having this issue can be totally congested and some how still smell this stuff. As for reproducing it with me driving with the technician, I cannot always reproduce the issue. It can go a week without happening then all of a sudden I get it then it goes away and just appears back on it's own. So it is not eassy to duplicate and certainly on demand. What I need to do is bring home a sniffer from work and get an air sample for these guys since they obviously have no clue what the heck is happening.

gpzrider, I think our service departments are talking to each other. I am getting almost the same exact response. Sad, I really like my Ex.

Someone contacted us today from Ford about or 2013 issue. We should be able to bring vehicle to another dealer in the next week or so...
djstatix,

I confirmed you have a follow-up call scheduled; please send me a PM with any more specifics you want forwarded before then.

I see your message waiting in my inbox, jaulet; there are a few ahead of you, so I’ll send you reply in about a day or so.

For those who haven’t already, please PM me your contact information (VIN, phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer info) so I can escalate it up to your regional Customer Service Managers.

Cory

Cory, I have the same problem

I mentioned this on the previous page and in case you may have missed it, I’m reaching out with an offer to help. For those who are experiencing the burnt smell, if you haven’t already done so, please PM me with your contact info, dealer, VIN, and mileage so I can escalate your concern.

Cory

Same problem exhaust gas leaking into the cabin for my Explorer 2012. Done 6k km and bought it about a month back from Dubai dealership under their pre-owned section. Taken it twice to the dealer but the problem is still there.

My F150 XLT has the smell also

In despiration I have been reading through all 18 pages of this thread on the burning oil smell looking for some kind of fix.
I have been through waiting 2 weeks for the Dealer to find the problem.
He called out the Ford regional engineer and was told the same as you guys that there is no fix for this. It's going back on Monday to have them try to do something because my husband has asthma and it's not just an issue of fumes coming in it's disrupting his health. My trouble ticket was supposedly the first Ford got on the F150 Ecoboost.
I sure hope Ford will have this fix by the end of the year.

Annette

Hello there!!!

I've been experiencing the same problem with my Explorer. It's about 3 months old with around 4k KM. I took it in to Ford Service here in Kuwait. They kept it for 4 days and came back with 'could not reproduce customer's complaint'.

I will be going back there and this time for certain raise some hell. But since Ford Company itself is not recognizing the problem and don't have a fix, how can the Service Representatives help?

IMO someone in the US should start a Lawsuit about this. Not only is this a defect, it's potentially dangerous to health of the occupants.

I sent Ford a message today, detailing my issue, I guess we'll see what kind of answer they give.......hopefully anyway.

Has anyone tried (duct) taping plastic sheet over the cabin intake and exhaust vents ?

Interesting!!!

Is the Repair Shop Manual for the New Explorer available online? A close look at the HVAC system drawings might give some insight into possible source of the problem.

Has anyone tried (duct) taping plastic sheet over the cabin intake and exhaust vents ?

Wouldn't it be easier to just put a plastic bag over your head? ;)

Hey I put one in a couple of days ago .... :(
the bishop,

I’ve replied to your PM; please see your inbox for my message.

Same problem exhaust gas leaking into the cabin for my Explorer 2012. Done 6k km and bought it about a month back from Dubai dealership under their pre-owned section. Taken it twice to the dealer but the problem is still there.
...I've been experiencing the same problem with my Explorer. It's about 3 months old with around 4k KM. I took it in to Ford Service here in Kuwait...
Concerned2012 & DesrtExplorer,

Because you live in the UAE & Kuwait, I suggest calling the Middle East Customer Relationship Center @ +971 (0) 4 3326084 for further assistance.

...I have been through waiting 2 weeks for the Dealer to find the problem...
I want to see your concern resolved, Annette. I can help by escalating this up to your regional Customer Service Manager. Please send me a PM with your contact information, VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

I sent Ford a message today, detailing my issue, I guess we'll see what kind of answer they give.......hopefully anyway.
tjEXPLORER11,

I can lend a hand with getting the smell taken care of. Please PM me with the info I listed above.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Dealer put plastic on vents

Sorry I hit the button before finishing. The Ford regional engineer told my dealer to try it as a test, just a test. It worked to eliminate the odor, however you CAN NOT block them off or the oxygen will be sucked out of the cab. After the test I was told there is not fix.

I am still on the war path

Annette

Back