Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
^^ It worked to eliminate the odor.

TaDa !!!

Attachments

• burn.gif
    burn.gif
    47.4 KB · Views: 575

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keeping Plastic on vents CAN NOT BE PERMANENT

^^ It worked to eliminate the odor.

TaDa !!!

AS I INDICATED IN MY LAST POST IT WAS ONLY A TEST BUT THE DEALER REMOVED THE PLASTIC AS SOON AS WE GOT BACK FROM DRIVING. I WAS TOLD I CAN NOT DRIVE WITH PLASTIC COVERING THOSE VENTS. IT WILL SUCK ALL THE OXYOGEN OUT OF THE CAB.

Annette

I too have the same issue...have about 4000 miles on a 2013 Limited. Have called the Ford place here in Temple TX and they told me that they have a TSB on the issue but that some of the parts are on back order...I wonder if we were not communicating clearly as to the exact problem...if you all are not hearing about a TSB in response to this issue that is. I know that it cannot be healthy and I am about to get motivated enough to make a stink myself.

For the record, mine smells horrible when accelerating at a slightly brisk rate or more and recirc is on.

Update: Service dpt. lady says some parts on national backorder...and her 2013 Explorer does the same thing!

Hey Crosswind81, can you get your hands on the TSB and PM it to me?

Hey Crosswind81, can you get your hands on the TSB and PM it to me?

+1 ... down here in San Antonio they have no idea about any of that. They're doing an oil usage or something for the next 1000 miles to see if it's something to do with that they said.

Just saw the date on the first post...its July of 2011 !!!!

Over a year and FORD has not found a fix...or recognized the problem. Very unfortunate that I didn't learn of this problem before the purchase or I would have paid more attention during the test drive.

I guess the only fix to sell it off !! Very disappointed :mad:

Hoping and Praying

Greetings All!

Just received our Ex last September here in the Philippines. Our Ex built date is 05/12 and is considered to be 2013 model already.

The ride comfort is excellent considering the all year round road constructions here. Features are more than what I expected. I really love the Ex and this being my first ever car purchase. I've read about the burnt oil smell before and unfortunately, when I punched or floored the Ex to get up to speed after the toll booth, the burnt smell was there. A/C on while recirc off. It's definitely not that smell of burning carbon. It smelled like what many people have described here. I turned on the recirc and the smell was gone. So far, it's been only 1 incidence, but I won't dare floor the Ex again since my wife and baby travel with me.

I really hope that Ford will come out with a definite solution for this. I've read in many other forums like Toyota, Audi, BMW, Nissan, etc. that owners have also experience the same annoying issue. Some say it may be because of the high compression design of the newer engines while some have mentioned on jeep forum that the PCV system could be the culprit.

If anyone has TSB for this, then please kindly share the details.

Praying for all EX owners! :bounce:

So Ford promised a fix for the by the end of Q3 of this year... Still nothing.

Anything? Anyone?

So Ford promised a fix for the by the end of Q3 of this year... Still nothing.

Anything? Anyone?
I'm guessing that the reason Ford hasn't come out with anything on this yet is because they have not been able to isolate the exact cause/problem. Although quite few members have on this forum have this issue, it does not seem to affect all or most Explorers. I have talked to a few owners in my area and none have experienced it, and neither have I. Since it does not appear to be a common problem, tracking down the cause may not be that simple. For the sake of those unfortunate to be affected by it, I hope that a solution is found soon.

Peter

In the 30 days that my X has been in the shop in the last year I have gotten 3 loaner Xs. Each one had the exhaust entering the cabin issue.

Since it does not appear to be a common problem, tracking down the cause may not be that simple.

Don't rule out over active imaginations....

In the 30 days that my X has been in the shop in the last year I have gotten 3 loaner Xs. Each one had the exhaust entering the cabin issue.

Wow - you get loaner Xs?? They typically give me a fiesta or something...

I think this issue does impact more then some may think... maybe some people are just more sensitive to smells then others. Or don't drive as hard as others...

Anyway, my Explorer is back in the shop, they want to preform the TSB for the cooling systems smell, but I doubt that will fix it. At this point i'll let they do whatever they want, it just gets me one step closer to getting to lemon law this POS.

At this point i'll let they do whatever they want, it just gets me one step closer to getting to lemon law this POS.

Don't get your hopes up, they did the cooling tsb on mine and it did not cure the problem. In fact the smell seems to be getting stronger and lingers longer.

I'm happy for the owners who have not experienced the smell during hard acceleration. Really I am. I wish it was also my over-active imagination as one blatantly posts here.

I enjoy the ride the comfort and all the electronic goodies the Limited EX has to offer.

I wish I could enjoy the power the Limited EX has more than I can. Cannot push it as hard as I can because of this damn smell. *sigh*

I find it hard to believe that all Explorers don't have this issue since Ford has determined that it is a design problem and the A/C system is pulling exhaust into the car. Anyway, I'm just waiting for a service bulletin to come out with a fix so that I can bring mine in, or wouldn't they do a recall on this since exhaust is getting onto the car? Thanks to gpzrider for being the guinea pig on this and keeping his car in the shop for weeks so that Ford could figure out what was causing this. I'm thinking that now they are trying to figure out the most cost effective fix since they are going to have to fix hundred's of thousands of vehicles.

I find it hard to believe that all Explorers don't have this issue since Ford has determined that it is a design problem and the A/C system is pulling exhaust into the car. Anyway, I'm just waiting for a service bulletin to come out with a fix so that I can bring mine in, or wouldn't they do a recall on this since exhaust is getting onto the car? Thanks to gpzrider for being the guinea pig on this and keeping his car in the shop for weeks so that Ford could figure out what was causing this. I'm thinking that now they are trying to figure out the most cost effective fix since they are going to have to fix hundred's of thousands of vehicles.
Welcome to the Forum tnt_12.:wavey:
I think that you are very much over exaggerating the number of vehicles with this problem. None of the owners that I have spoken with in my area seem to have this problem. Keep in mind that those members here reporting the problem are but a very small percentage of the total number of owners. My A/C ran most of the Summer without pulling any exhaust gases into the cabin.
From reading the posts on this issue, it also seems that people are getting different smells from different areas. Some are getting it pulled in due to the A/C and there is another post where it is coming in around the back vents due to the exhaust coming from the muffler design. There are reports of burned oil smells as well as sulphur (rotten egg) smells. There are reports of cooling hoses being replaced and the situation improved, but only temporarily.
So I doubt that the exact problem has been identified yet.
For those with the issue, I hope it is resolved soon.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those not seeing the problem yet try this. If anyone does let us know how you make out, thanks.

Enable the rear A/C in the touch screen. I believe that it comes off from the factory so you have to turn it on. Turn up the rear fan also. Open the four round vents in the ceiling in the back.

Turn the A/C recirculate on.

Go to a stop sign, light or highway entrance ramp where you can accelerate up to 55 or 70 mph. Accelerate up from a dead stop at full throttle.

After you get up to 70 and let off the gas, in a few more seconds you should get plenty of exhaust in the car.

Back