Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 129 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
UPDATE:
I installed the drain plugs on the lift gate, absolutely no improvement.
I found a hole in the escape system, right where the main pipe coming from the engine forks out to the dual exhaust pipes. By covering the exhaust tips I noticed a LOT of fumes coming from this hole straight up towards the trunk bottom. I soldered it, will go test drive right now and post an update.
Did this correct the burning smell you were getting? I know there was a service bulletin for a cracked pipe where it splits off but of course it's just a bulletin and not a covered after 36,000 mile repair

This article supersedes TSB 19-2244 to update the Parts List.

Issue: Some 2013-2019 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P013A and/or P013C stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to an improperly welded exhaust Y-pipe. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the exhaust Y-pipe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may have posted this already but what I’ve found on my 2014 is a leak between the manifold and the cylinder head. During hard acceleration I get a strong exhaust smell in the cabin like many others. I believe the source on mine is from this joint…I have new gaskets, studs and nuts sitting in my barn, just waiting on some spare time to take it all apart, check flatness and for any cracks and reassemble it.

Ford’s bulletin addressing the rear of the vehicle for sealing integrity doesn’t make sense to me, I always believed it was the hvac system pulling in fumes from the cowl. After stuffing a couple tennis balls in the tail pipes and crawling all over the exhaust system I found the issue at the manifold joint.

I may have posted this already but what I’ve found on my 2014 is a leak between the manifold and the cylinder head. During hard acceleration I get a strong exhaust smell in the cabin like many others. I believe the source on mine is from this joint…I have new gaskets, studs and nuts sitting in my barn, just waiting on some spare time to take it all apart, check flatness and for any cracks and reassemble it.

Ford’s bulletin addressing the rear of the vehicle for sealing integrity doesn’t make sense to me, I always believed it was the hvac system pulling in fumes from the cowl. After stuffing a couple tennis balls in the tail pipes and crawling all over the exhaust system I found the issue at the manifold joint.
Exhaust exits from the rear of the vehicle if it is working properly. There should not be any exhaust fumes in the engine bay unless there is a problem like you described. Sealing the back as a solution has worked for many members.

Peter

I also have "the smell" and I've got about 5k miles on my vehicle. Only under hard acceleration and it is very repeatable. Last time it was in for service I had them look at it and they couldn't find anything, but also had trouble reproducing the smell. I think they might not have pushed the vehicle hard enough to re-produce it. I'll be going back in the near future to give them a ride with me driving to point it out...
I have a 2013 XLT Explorer with 17k miles and smell the same thing Hard acceleration get on the interstate

Back