• Register Today It's free!

Bad starter?

jeff4315

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6 4.0L
I know this is a common topic, and I have tried to read some other threads but don't see anything with exactly my situation. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4WD V6 Flex Fuel. I tried to start it earlier today, but it wouldn't turn over at all - just a 'click, click, click, click'. I was able to jump start it but it only ran for a few seconds and then died. When I tried to restart, just a 'click, click, click'. Does this indicate a bad starter? starter solenoid?

Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a dead battery to me. If it didn't stay running, that could indicate an issue with the alternator. Maybe the faulty alternator led to the dead battery? :dunno: I may be all wet here. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

I'm with bigrondo. The starter is fine. When you jumpstarted it it sent power to your ecu and charged your battery. When u diconnected the jumper cables your battery died after a second and your ecu lost power which killed your engine. Your battery is probably fine just needs to be charged with a battery charger. Its not good on a battery to charge it from being dead with an alternator. I would check your fuses or pull the alt off and carry it to autozone or oreillys to habe it tested. Jase your battery light been on or does it even come on when u turn the key on

Definitely not your starter. It's either your battery or your alternator,, sounds like your alternator. The starter only gets the engine firing, once it's running the starter has no use. If it shut off by itself that probably means it ran out of electricity, which more than likely means your alternator is shot. As was said, you can take it to auto zone and they will test it for you to see if it's dead.

I'm on my way to Auto Zone with the alternator. This forum is awesome. I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply!

I'm on my way to Auto Zone with the alternator. This forum is awesome. I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply!

Good luck. :thumbsup: Be sure to keep us posted.

Success!

AutoZone confirmed the alternator was bad. A couple hundred bucks later and I'm back in business. Thank you again for everyone who responded to my post.

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update. ;)

Back