Bent torsion bar adjustment bolt

theluke19

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
Well this is bizarre, and I'm not sure how it happened:

Went to twist up the torsion bar adjustment bolts on my Sport trac last night, and had a rough time with the Driver side---

Noticed that it looks like the bolt is bent.... Any ideas on extraction? Should I just go with impact and hope it 'bends' it's way back out? Is there a way I can take the load off of it to maybe manually bend it back, or would that be just putting the frame on jack stands, with all weight off the tires?

another weird part is that in one picture it looks like the bolt is bent one way, but from another angle, it looks like it's bent the other way.. :confused2::confused2::confused2:

20170129_153133.jpg

20170129_153211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this is the first time adjusting the torsion bolts, you are fighting heat activated thread lock compound applied from the factory. Ford tends to overuse it, and heavily coats the threads with the blue stuff that behaves like the red we know. Another example are the body mount bolts. Heat the bolt head with propane torch or similar for about 20 seconds to soften, and they "should" turn easily without an impact. If the bolt is bent replace with a pre-coated factory bolt. Always measure the bolt threads and fender to ground height prior to adjustment, and check alignment after the front settles.
NOTE- BOLTS CONTAIN LOCTITE AND MAY REQUIRE 350 LB.-FT. TO REMOVE
See note in TSB step #4 below:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=114372

Forgot to address your most important question. ALWAYS unload the suspension FIRST before adjusting the bolts. Sounds like a PITA to repeatedly lower and jounce the front by driving over large bumps to dial in the front height, but it's the preferred way to do it. Also very important to use a standard length SIX POINT metric socket to prevent rounding the small bolt heads. Read a few horror stories about stripped or broken bolts in the threaded bar and removal sounds challenging. Camber kits "may" be also needed for proper alignment.

EDIT- Difficult to see looking at the pics, but appears the rounded "dog point" torsion bolt tip slipped out of the dimple in the torsion key. Remove the cover held by four bolts and see if you can get more pics.

See middle pic:
torsion bar removal

^ Good eye. Thought it looked really short for a 63.5 mm length (M12x1.75) bolt. I'm disoriented looking at those pics. :banghead:

OP's bolt is DEFINITELY broken. Only actual ST torsion bolt pic I found on the internet shown below. (N811015-S101)

N811015-S101.jpg

Grade 8.8 should be fine but you'll need to tap the threads or use fully threaded bolts instead.

Rounding the tips is smart, you don't want slipping, and Ford dimples the keys for this reason.

That will end up doing the same thing as above, just sooner. You should consider using a grade 8 bolt. If it helps, the factory exhaust manifold to downpipe bolts are very close.

Torsion adjuster part number is
N811015-S100

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bolt-hex-head_-n811015-s100.html

Using google search of that number, you will find a lot more information

Got a couple on order at the local dealership - will be picking them up today, and depending on my motivation, I'll be replacing them today.

thanks for all the thoughts and help!

Thanks for the second and third set of eyes!!!

Hit the nail on the head with the broken bolt.

The bolts I bought @ home depot seemed to be different head size, and a tiny bit longer- but the thread size was the same. Per the bolt heads it looks like they were same class as the OEM part:

20170131_122135_1.jpg

Picked up the factory bolts yesterday, per the model number SWS provided:

20170131_122158.jpg

In case you were curious, here's a picture of the old bolts:

20170131_200037.jpg

THanks for both of your help and insight, Turdle, and SWS!!

ExplorerForum does the trick for me again- and wouldn't you know it was from the help of two of the best posters on here!

Back