BFG All Terrain KO's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG All Terrain KO's

I am 90% sure that I am going to get BFG All Terrain KO's. Can anyone give me some comments on their performance on and off road? Thanks, also looked into getting some Goodyear Wranglers. Which are the better tire? On road 95%, off road 5%.

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ko's blow the Goodyears away on all surfaces. I don't think you'll find anyone here that doesn't like the ko's for on-road/mild to moderate off road use. The only thing they don't do well is work in heavy mud because of the tread pattern. For that the Goodrich M/T's work well.

I've had ko's on for almost 2 years now and I love 'em

I put 66 thousand miles on the first set. They are my tire of choise, and as soon as the Goodyears on my 2001 Ranger need new tires, I will be putting KO's on it.
I have had them in the snow, dirt and mud and they are quite good, except for mud if it's clay like.
It's a very smooth and relitively quite, yet rugged tire. They look good too. ;)

being a die hard BFG fan it is hard for me to say this but I was not happy with the KO's at all....

In a tiny bit of water they hydroplane like crazy. They were great off road but on road they left some to be desired. Also I got 1/3 of the mileage out of them that I got from the original AT's.

Do some research online, you will find many people left BFG's off their truck after the KO....the amount of $$$ they cost just doesnt justify what you get, plus hydroplaning in a lifted BII is not fun.....

I don't like them. Too expensive for their poor performance in any wet terrain.

I have to agree there. In rain, they're not too good, but in the snow you'll love them.

I'm dumbfounded hearing that. Mine have performed great in the rain and resist hydroplaning much more than the original Firestones that came on them (but that may not be saying much, LOL). When they were new I almost couldn't force them to hydroplane and could drive much faster than was safe in heavy rain and I still didn't start skiing on the water. I've been very impressed with their wet traction.

For an all-around on and offroad tire that has to do the best for a variety of situations on a daily driver that is taken offroad often, they are probably the best tire made.

The problem is they have a built in dam along the edges, if you look at the tread, on the outside of the tire there is a blockage where there is no way for the water to shed out the side of the tire........this because very obvious to me when I had the KO's as they hydroplane VERY easily in only 1/4-1/2" of water or so, mostly on the higway.
I did like the on road feel and their ability off road, also the extremely tough sidewalls. But for the $$$ I have found other tires that are just as good and cost WAY less.

I run some Courser LT 31x10.5 and they out perform the KO in treadware and do just as well off road, for about 2/3 the cost............no hydroplaning issues..........

I have a friend in the tire business out here, he has helped me out alot finding the right tire for me, he is an avid Jeeper.....

MY friend Joe really seems to like his new BFG MTR's though....we shall see about treadware. I just cant bring myself to mount up some MT's since I do 95% on the street..........

I loved my AT KOs, and never had any traction problems with them as long as I remembered that I was driving a 4500 lb truck ;) Compared with my stock Wrangler RT/Ss they were excellent!

I'm with Gerald. I'm amazed that some of you have had trouble on wet surfaces with hydroplaning. I've driven in lots of water on the highway as well as back roads, and never once have had them hydroplane. The only place they didn't do well was in deep gooey mud, but that's because it's a partially closed tread pattern, so they don't clean themselves out like a M/T.

I've run BF Goodrich A/T ko's, Firestone ATX II's, Firestone Wilderness's, Dunlop Radial Rovers and Pep-Boys specials on two different Explorers, and , in my experience, the ko's are by far the best tire of all under all conditions.

As far as treadwear, I've got about 20k on mine right now and they still have most of the tread left. They appear to be wearing quite well compared to the Firestones and the Dunlops. I only got about 30-35k out of them, and the ko's appear to be headed towards 50k. Of course I don't do burnouts with the X either :D. I leave that for the Firebird.

take this for what you will, my wranglers have 65,000 miles on them, im trying to wear them out so i can get bfg 31x10.50's and its been hard. crazy driving teenager trying to do doughnuts in an all wheel drive SUV on the streets and always "testing" my brakes. they hold up and are cheaper. i pull trailers off road with dirtbikes and im always wheelin. they do well. my explorer likes to be abused. it holds up and the tires hold up with my type of show off driving. done well in the mud for me and the snow out here (on and off road). but i am on the road more. i drive from CA to school in CO every summer and they rock... just stickin up for the goodyears....

in my opinion, the atko's are INCREDIBLE in the rain. i have never had any kind of hydroplaning issues at all, the only time they have ever slipped was the fault of the abs kicking in once in the middle of a slippery turn in the rain. excellent tires!!

This thread seems a little one way, so I'll at my .02. I have had KOs and Dueler A/Ts, and KMs and Dueler M/Ts, and I think the A/T for A/T, M/T for M/T, the Duelers out perform the BFG in most categories and overall satisfaction. Although, you can't go wrong with either brand.

--Sean

I will have had my 30x9.5x15 KO's for a year in Feb and have not experienced any hydroplaning unlike the GoodYear HT's that were only 8 months old.

I took my truck up to the Mtns yesterday, and with the melting snow, mild mud, and rocks, my BFG All-Terrains performed well. I did run a set of Interco TSL-SX's (32"x11.5"x15) and they must have lasted me a whopping 23,000 miles. Being a Southern Californian, that amounted to two consecutive summers before the tread called it quits...:eek:

This might be a little off topic, but i just got a price quote on these in 30X9.5R15. $122.54 or Everything including alignment for $643.30 from Sears. Good or no Good?

Todd,

Could you squeeze 31's on there before you make such a large purchase? You'll have much better traction, and the price won't be too much greater...

I ended up getting ALL TERRAIN AT KO 31's. Snowed about 5 inches the day I got them and they performed very well. These are probably the most knobby tires I have ever got. I look forward to wheelin' with them. Thanks for your comments.

~Ryan

My wife runs 31" BFG AT/KOs, and she is happy with their off highway performance and overall highway value. They're our family tires!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Todd,

Could you squeeze 31's on there before you make such a large purchase? You'll have much better traction, and the price won't be too much greater...

I've thought about that, but right now, i don't even have enough for these at the moment, and if they rub, I don't want to lift yet and my parents don't want me to at all. So i'm gonna run the 30's for now and my next set i'll probably get 31s and lift. I would love to lift and put 31s but as of now, its a no no :(

Back