Blown SOHC head gasket *PICS* | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown SOHC head gasket *PICS*

Shelbygt , you can scrape up some more bucks and find a another head(which would be good) or do the best with what you got. You could get some valve grinding paste, pull the valve spring off, spin that valve around in its seat with some paste on it and make sure it sits nice again. You could try to smooth that weld near the valve seat with a small dremmel grinder. ..Before you mount that head,get some Copper spray a gasket and put a layer on the block and a layer on the head before you place the head gasket down.Hopefully you can get some more good miles out of the Ex.
The Spray a Gasket is good stuff, it can help seal if there are some imperfections.
You can google it and research it.I have used the spray a gasket on different vehicles and have had good results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E-bay has brand new 4.0 SOHC head casting for 150.00

You'll have to get it assembled but it might be worth it.

I'm leary about the huge weld in that head. It will mess with the compression ratio of that head because it's all about the volume and how far down the piston is. Maybe you'll be fine but the risk meter is going off in my head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one is complete for $260. 4.0L Sohc Head

Its fun to spend Daves money.

well if you want..... I can play this game

I have a pair on the shelf.. may could be the casting number he would need....

Ill do him one up $220 shipped

Ill spend daves money too! lol

well if you want..... I can play this game

I have a pair on the shelf.. may could be the casting number he would need....

Ill do him one up $220 shipped

Ill spend daves money too! lol

That includes the gasket and bolt set right?

lol glad to see you have a sense of humor too!
want I should go torque it down and finish the build for him?

lol glad to see you have a sense of humor too!
want I should go torque it down and finish the build for him?

Bring enough Beer for everyone.
beer-vi.gif

just buy all this and be done with it. http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM200840SOHCCatRev1HeadsCams.pdf

No seriously, I’m not trying to interfere but I would hate to see you go through all this again to have more problems.

I dont think Dave is looking to drop 3 grand on a set of ported & polished heads, but thats another great way to spend his money. Those are nice. If I was going to add a stroker kit and a blower, those would be the heads to use. :D

Oh, wait, it looks like you would need the $3,700 set if you add a blower. And you would need the $575 cam set with those.

Oh, just noticed they recommend special head studs with those, another $425. So thats only $4,700.00

I dont think Dave is looking to drop 3 grand on a set of ported & polished heads, but thats another great way to spend his money. Those are nice. If I was going to add a stroker kit and a blower, those would be the heads to use. :D

Oh, wait, it looks like you would need the $3,700 set if you add a blower. And you would need the $575 cam set with those.

Oh, just noticed they recommend special head studs with those, another $425. So thats only $4,700.00

You do realize I was joking, right?

LOL, you guys are too much!

Once the weld was done, I brought head back the machine shop and he reground the valve seat, tested the seal and resembled the head in front of me, so that won't be an issue. I know that them missing the hole was inexcusable, but this guy is a very competent machinist. I was on the verge of either getting a re-manufactured head from the Odessa Cylinder Head, or a used one from a local "Barely Used" salvage yard. The used head would have been 150.00 (no idea of it's condition and still needs to be resurfaced) and the machinist said that Odessa Cylinder Head sells "rebuilt" heads for 260.00 plus $20.00 for new injector insulators that theirs do not include.
So I went with the $30.00 weld as I know my head has new seals and is flat.
If you don't calculate having to get new gaskets and head bolts, I am at $300.00 for both heads being redone.

The odds of another spot failing that is "unseen" (since this is not happening on other SOHC 4.0s) are pretty remote, so I feel confident that this is an isolated problem and will last the life of the truck (currently at 193k miles).
If this was in my Cobra, I would have gone a different route, but my wife drives the Explorer to work daily, so as long is it goes down the road ....reliably, I am a happy camper.

I read the threads from the other forum on how this was a "hack job" and as in any thing else, you can sink a fortune into a repair or rebuild, but for stock, non-performance engines, these repairs are done every day, all over the country without issues. I talked with 2 other "knowledgeable engine guys" (including the welder) besides the machine shop and they said the weld is exactly what I should have done.

If this head fails again, I can pull it apart and replace it with my eyes closed..LOL

Thanks for all input.... if it fails, I expect 50 "I told ya so's" LOL

Well, atleast you didn't JB weld or use any duct tape.

Joking?

You do realize I was joking, right?

What do you mean joking? The way I read your post it sounded to me like you were going to buy him all that nice stuff. I just did the math so you would know how much to cut the check for.
hapydancsmil-vi.gif

I am glad to hear you are beating that 4.0 into submission. :thumbsup:

Good decisions!

I had the cracked block welded on my Jaguar E-type and never had any trouble after. As far as I know, the person that bought it from me years later never had any trouble either.

There's the old saying "advice is worth what you pay for it". I understand the value of access to someone who is knowledgeable that can be trusted. Don't be concerned about what others say or think when you act on good advice. There are so many out there that unnecessarily replace parts because they don't know how to determine what is actually failed. It sounds to me like you've made good, rationale decisions based on your circumstances. I think all will work out fine. I certainly hope so!

What do you mean joking? The way I read your post it sounded to me like you were going to buy him all that nice stuff. I just did the math so you would know how much to cut the check for.
hapydancsmil-vi.gif

Yeah, that's pretty funny how you can read between the lines. :wtf:

Happy Easter

Yeah, that's pretty funny how you can read between the lines. :wtf:

Thats funny, that little jumping guy is in the quote.

hapydancsmil-vi.gif

So, whats the latest on the SOHC?

Bob

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help (especially Dale).

I got everything back together tonight and it runs perfectly. No more chain rattle and it purrs like a new truck. The motor idles flawlessly and it accelerates like a beast, so the concerns of the weld in the head's combustion chamber not being ground smooth and looking perfect were unwarranted.

For the first 10 minutes while driving, it smoked like a James Bond vehicle from all the coolant stuck in the cat and mufflers, but it's all clear now. The few seconds before I cranked it over, I felt that my heart was going to explode and my stomach was in my throat..LOL When it fire up and settled down to an idle..."all grins" No leaks so far and no CEL!

If anyone needs any advice on what I have been through, drop me a line, I would be glad to help! :D

Take care all,
Dave

Cheer Leaders

That is so great.

I knew you could do it.

What do you think about a UTube video so we can here what it sound like.

OK, a little something from the Cheer Leaders..............
cheerleader-vi.gif
cheerleader2-vi.gif
cheerleader-vi.gif

Sorry, that's just annoying.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back