• Register Today It's free!

Bolt Ons Complete, next Mod

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
O.K. I now have all the bolt ons out there besides a TB spacer (and nevermind that), I was thinking of next doing a cam swap. What I wanna know is do I must/need to modify rods, heads, boreing, etc.? Just that knowing doing the little things like that won't even be noticed on a ex, so I'm not planning on wasting the time. Due to my low gearing I plan on like compcam's 422 cam to help rebuilt my high end. Thinking bout a vortech charger in the future. Cause if its too much trouble I'll just wait till I can get a v8 car or truck to concentrate on. (And I'm not gonna do a engine swap.) Some day I'd like my explorer to spank a Typhoon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have headers? Don't see them in your sig.

Just got some new Borla Headers

with the 422 cam you have to use new pushrods and dual springs at the valves.
Comp Cams can hook you up with what you need.
You will ahve to take the engine down to the lower intake, remove the timing chainc cover and waterpump to install, along with the radiator or yank the engine.

422 is a pretty aggressive cam, you might not pass emissions sniffer test with it. 410 is much more streetable.
With your mods you should have already improved the high end of the 4.0L quite a bit, I would want a cam to help pick up the midrange, which is whats lacking in the 4.0L now.
Also have you had a chip burned?

There is alot more you can do:
Gasket match the upper and lower intake plenums, phenolic spacer here or plastic upper (reduces heat of the intake charge)
de-burr the upper intake
Knife edge the throttle body
cold air feed for intake
Adjust your TPS
You need good wires and plugs

thats the little stuff.
If you want to make any kind of real power from a 4.0L then you should have the heads built, even a little bit of work to the heads goes a LONG WAY to awaking the sleeping giant.

410 we should hook up some time to check out and compare rides. I rarely see modded explorers here on this side of denver. Well I see them they just don't be lifted

If you really wnat to spank a Typhoon, I say just forget the cam swap and do this:

Find someone to or make your own custom headers and connecting pipes ?$$$

Buy used Buick GN turbocharger $100-$300

Chip tune $100 on up depending on dyno or not.

Junkyard intercooler $50-$100

Keep the boost moderate and have fun spanking!

awaking the sleeping giant

ever hear someone elses 4.0 ranger/exploer/broncoII going down the highway?

those things DO sound mean, meanier than mine damnit!

sounds like a 3-legged bull givin all its got haha

SVO42 said:
If you really wnat to spank a Typhoon, I say just forget the cam swap and do this:

Find someone to or make your own custom headers and connecting pipes ?$$$

Buy used Buick GN turbocharger $100-$300

Chip tune $100 on up depending on dyno or not.

Junkyard intercooler $50-$100

Keep the boost moderate and have fun spanking!

So you know somebody who has done this before?

Klowns supposedly did a turbo (I never saw any pics so I say supposedly) and had nothing but problems. Build your top and bottom end and get a supercharger. Some spray would also help.

with a 422 cam how hard would it be to pass emissions

Mak, see your pm's.

Changing the cam with the motor in the truck isn't too bad, I did mine that way.

Both the 410 and 422 are great cams, the 422 has some overlap which lets unburned fuel get out in the exhaust which can cause issues with emissions, though I never had problems because my state doesn't use a sniffer, just checks for cats.

To get the gains that the 422 is capable of delivering, you need a chip. The 410 is more within the stock ECU's programming so it's not as important.

MaximumViolence said:
though I never had problems because my state doesn't use a sniffer, just checks for cats.

damn i wish it was like that in charlotte...

I just going to upgrade to 33's with a wider stance, wheel spacers and some spaced out rims. As soon as I can get a garage to take my time in I'm going to delete my bodylift

Back