Boomin's getting a sex change | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boomin's getting a sex change

Boomin's getting a sex change *PICS*

Haha guy well here we go. This weekend I will take the last pics of the truck lowered. I have decided that it is the best for me to lift my truck for 2 reasons. 1 is that it will slow me down some hopefully and 2 is that noone really has done what I am doing to a mountaineer. What my plans are:

Suspention:
-3'' lift spindles
-3'' TT by flipping and rotating the adjuster w/stock bolts
-SOA in rear possibly with shackles

Body:
-3'' body
-3'' Fiberglass fenders

Tires:
-15x10 wheels
-35x12.50 Mt's

I will be posting pics of the progress. This monday/tuesday I am doing the TT and SOA with monoleafs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hua? that grey truck has fiberglass front fenders and rear fiberglass as well.
two different trucks, one owner :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

davidmmm69 said:
what did you do just chop your front bumper in half.. was that a rage bcause something rubbed??
I trimmed it first to match the fenders on the side wrap around. My tires never rubbed on the bumper.
One day I was bored so I cut it even more and it ended up looking good and helping out with the aproach angle like 410 said.

Got My Tires!!!!

good deal. 35x12.50s will look good with the 6" of lift. Can't wait to see it up close and next to mine.

-Drew

Dude i envy you, I want 4" - 5" of lift so bad. I really want to get rid of the tortion bars tho, the only decent kit I see that does that is the ranger RCD and thats like really expensive :( not to mention no one has verified it will bolt right on, if it can't 6gs is a LOT to spend for a headache.

hope im not hijackin,

retribution, if you are looking for a better bang for your lift dollar....clicky here

pros - 3"-5" in the front, ~6" in the back depending on your leaves, soa improves rear ground clearance, money saved, easier installation, should fit 33's with a lil trimming, and you are one step closer to sas or rcd coilovers with 35's :smoke: .

cons - retaining high mileage parts and noises(sigh), including tortion bars, skid plates would probably be a good investment, and i ran out of cons...anyone?

if you or a friend can weld the rear perches and fab up some bumper brackets, you can do this for around $150.

ok, who thinks i sound convincing? oh yeah, im not comparing this "lift" to the rcd or dixon brothers coilover conversion kits. the sales tax on the c/o kits would be more than this homemade lift.

I want the Camburg 2wd kit but its $$$$. I thought about swapping in ranger uppers and lowers to get coil springs but I dont think it will line up right. ALOT of pics will be up tomorrow.

BTW: dominicanX had the sloped BL and SOA. He is one of my good friends and he is the one that helped me on my SOA.

n3m3s1s said:
hope im not hijackin,

retribution, if you are looking for a better bang for your lift dollar....clicky here

pros - 3"-5" in the front, ~6" in the back depending on your leaves, soa improves rear ground clearance, money saved, easier installation, should fit 33's with a lil trimming, and you are one step closer to sas or rcd coilovers with 35's :smoke: .

cons - retaining high mileage parts and noises(sigh), including tortion bars, skid plates would probably be a good investment, and i ran out of cons...anyone?

if you or a friend can weld the rear perches and fab up some bumper brackets, you can do this for around $150.

ok, who thinks i sound convincing? oh yeah, im not comparing this "lift" to the rcd or dixon brothers coilover conversion kits. the sales tax on the c/o kits would be more than this homemade lift.

wow i post in a post in a post in an even bigger post....

Going crazy am I

boominXplorer said:
Anyone in Va beach have access to a welder?

There's a guy named RJ that goes by the screen name HJV11 over at the Tidewater Racing Forum that does welding. He's in Norfolk, and quite a few people on the board there seem happy with the work he does, and say that his prices are reasonable.

I'm pretty sure boomin can weld, he just needs a welder to do it.

I'm a booger welder haha.

Thanks for the link, I'll get in touch with him.

Booger welds are the best welds. Only the most talented welders can do them. :p

You should weld aluminium! haha - I heard that's easier ;)

Good luck on all this stuff, Chris! Is ATI sponsoring this?

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
ATI sponsoring this?

-Drew

HAHA no!

I do have an eye on a 9'' and a D44 they have sitting out in the parking lot collecting rust ;)

boominXplorer said:
I do have an eye on a 9'' and a D44 they have sitting out in the parking lot collecting rust ;)

haha - that would be sweet!

n3m3s1s said:
hope im not hijackin,

Thanks for the info bro! I just read thru the entire thread, sounds excellent. I'll be buying new springs for this tho, when I go over significant bump on the freeway on the way to my cousins house....yeah the rear end jumps all over! its almost dangerous.

I wasn't really lookin for 6" of lift in the rear, was thinkin more of a total of 4" all around. not sure if there is any way to lower the SOA any without compromising the stiffness of the rear axle :rolleyes:

:edit:

boomin: where did you get yer 3" spindles and how much? i think id rather go the route your taking until i can afford to rid myself of the tortion bars

pro comp and fabtech carry spindles for us. about 600$ for the kit.

12558KIF_0067-med.jpg

12558KIF_0068-med.jpg

12558KIF_0061-med.jpg

12558KIF_0062-med.jpg

12558KIF_0071-med.jpg

hehe we're going to have to race once you get the rest of your lift on :)

Nice! How far along are you on the front?

Back