Infinity front 4"x6" 2-way Speakers
Sony rear 6.5" 2-way Speakers
Clarion Amplified Sub Enclosure in center console

On Board Air:
York Series 210 air compressor
Kilby bracket kit, manifold, gauges, pressure switch
front and rear quick-disconnect
2.5 gallon air tank
Husky air tool kit -impact wrench, ratchet, die grinder, etc.

Armor/Recovery:
Front / Rear tow hooks
Warn front winch bumper
Warn XD9000i winch
Warn gas tank skid plate
Custom "Jefe-built" Rock Sliders
Jeeperman Rear bumper & tire carrier
MORE steering box brace
Teraflex steering box skid plate
Poison Spyder Crusher Corners w/ Crusher Flares

Misc.
Dual Optima Red-top batteries
Mean Green Dual Battery Tray
Painless Wiring dual battery system
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
4' Firestik CB antenna
Staun Tire deflators
Crimestopper Alarm
Keyless Entry - power door locks
Tire Balancing Beads

Planned Mods:
Toys by Troy or Poison Spyder Front Roll cage reinforcement

Unique Mods, or "Souvenirs":
Pass rear corner from tricky hole - Truckhaven Jan 2004
Pass side rollbar from "flop"- Tierra Del Sol March 2004
Pass side rear fender cracked - Old Sluice -Rubicon July 2005
Pass rear corner caught large granite boulder - Swamp Lake August 2005

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought at first you bought a Explorer. I was like this :eek: At least the brakes are Explorer :rolleyes:

You need some pictures in there John;)

Stic-o said:
I thought at first you bought a Explorer. I was like this :eek:

You need some pictures in there John;)
give me a few minutes . . . . .

I got it. I was working on it for a while.

2001:
dcp_0169.jpg

2002:
SANY0020.jpg

2003:
SANY0168.jpg

2004:
TDS_2004_33.jpg

:p
SANY0003.jpg

TT2004_010.jpg

2005:
SANY0006.jpg

1600John_Night1-med.jpg

Dang!! I spent all that time just figuring out how to post a couple of pics - I never thought of just grabbing ones that had already been posted!

Got them all from your brother's site. :)

At first I thought you bought one too.

Is it required you ware Camo pants to drive a jeep? :p

dcp_0169.jpg

8526TDS_2004_33_.jpg

FROADER said:
Was that thing lowered?? Look at those tiny tires.

:D

I love this Jeep :)
We have had two of these in the family, a 98 Sahara with a d44 and 4.10's, and a 02 Sahara.

If you had to do it over again anything you would change? I see you put in a Rubi transfer case?

The #1 thing I would change - install Crusher Corners BEFORE Rubicon and Swamp. :D

Next on the list would be a slightly longer wheelbase -it would have been nice if the LJ (Unlimited) was available back then. Two or three boys and all our camping gear doesn't fit. (That's why I have my brother Jefe and his Explorer!)

The rear Detroit locker bugs me at times with the slop in the drivetrain. Sometimes if I'm trying to crawl over something- it bounces back and forth between throttle forward and engine-braking.

Overall, I LOVE it. My Dad took us "jeep"ing and camping all the time - over the years we went though a FJ-40, CJ-6 (my mom rolled it with all of us kids in back -"woo-hoo, do it again Mom!"), Cherokee Chief, Wagoneer -as I went from 3 siblings to 7.

My first car was a very used, Oregon-registered, '77 CJ-7 Renegade with the AMC 304 V-8, dual headers/exhaust, no CA emissions, and 33" tires. I stripped all the old decals/badges/chrome and painted the Jeep and the hardtop a high-gloss black, then limo-tinted all the windows. "Stealth-mode" I totaled it in a stupid teenage driver accident :( My Dad replaced it with a "safer" '81 CJ-7 - gutless wonder with the old 4.0 I6 and all the CA emissions, stock tires, blech!

The 4:1 transfer case made a huge difference. It would have been nice if the Rubicon was available back when I was buying.

In other words, if I had to start over again today - I'd pick up a Rubicon Unlimited - open up the catalog and order a longarm kit and 35" tires, and be done with it.

P.S. The "camo" thing is just part of my camping routine. I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster (I think it's a law if you have four boys) and the camo's are part of our uniform and my camping pack. Plus my daughter tells me the camo is color coordinated with my Jeep Sahara.

I drool on the Unlimited's, its what Jeepers have been screaming for for years, a longer base (like the Scrambler) coilover 4 links front and rear, and then you can get the rubi drivetrain and lockers = perfect.

I am looking at options for the 98 Sahara, after my dad was done with it I bought it for my ex finace (well I did the downpayment, detailed it, 32" tires, new windshield, floor mats and gave it to her for x mas), She has since paid it off and wants to get into off roading, I am the "builder" for the project so I have been doing research on Jeeps :)

I to think the Unlimited is the answer to getting a hard core rig right out of the box, long travel and some lift = you are done.

Thanks for the advice. these crusher corners, they are the bumper ends and fender flares or what? She needs a new Pass side fender and flare, I have been trying to locate a factory green one for el cheapo for a couple years now.
I beleive her 98 is the same color as yours, the orangish interior with the nice metallic dark green, my dad sold the 98 and got the 02, he hates the new color :) (more tan and a less brilliant green) the 190 HP 4.0L also seems to have less low end then the 98, but that could also be the gears. The 02 sound system is a huge improvement though with the center console woofer :) PLus the 02 came with hard and soft tops, in 98 the soft was extra...

I like the Poison Spyder "Crusher Corners" because they wrap all the way around, and you can add the "Crusher Flares" as an option. (just can't convince myself to go to the flush LED lights - I like the "traditional" OEM lights)

Later, I may even convert to their "Tube Fenders", or Jefe may have a better custom idea.

www.poisonspyder.com

ah right down the road from me :)
those guys rock!

Back