Buying Explorer Info V6 SOHC Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying Explorer Info V6 SOHC Problems

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Sorry if a little long...

I am very interested in getting a 98 Explorer, I really like the looks and in general overall has a good reputation.

After doing alot of research on it I have found some information that is a concern to me.

I have had some good input here, I just need a little more detail.

I would like the V8 however here in my area there just are not any decent ones to choose from, did find 1 4x4 for too much. There are V6's all over town. Problem is, people just do not maintain them.

I do not want to wait months to get a V8 unless there is a very strong reason to stay away from the V6 SOHC.

I do not plan on any towing. I do want something that when maintained will last a very, very long time, Cruise me around the desert and up the mountian with ease and alot of AC. :)~

My concerns: The issue with the Timing Cam guides, tensioner ETC. and the Transmission

1: Is the SOHC engine belt or Chain driven. What is Ford's position regarding the fix, what is the max. allowed mileage limits allowed for the fix if needed?

2: The transmission "5R55E 5sp Auto" Is this not a solid tranny, a weak spot?

3: I am staying away from the 4x4 mainly because of the possible expense of the repairs that could arise. This also limits my selection... Is the Ford 4x4 system a weak area also on the SOHC.

Any other Pros and Cons of the Explorer would be great, I am a very serious buyer, I just need to pick your brains to help me along.

FYI I have found a 98 with 38k!!! on it, I ran a Car Fax, 1 Owner 2x4 XLT 4 dr It is at a dealer... So I really need to make a decision fast, but not wrong...

Sonny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unsure on a lot of your questions. Just wanted to add that you can get the OHV in the 98s, not just the SOHC. Also, why not the 99s? They got the cool front airdam on them.

The Main reason is the HP 160 vs 205, I would rather have more power than not enough...
Sonny

You can get more horsepower out of the V6 if you do some inexpensive mods. A K&N air filter and a chip and you'll be getting close to 200 hp.

1. Allegedly there are 5 chains. I have had some fixes done on mine. Up to 72,000 miles you can have the most common problems fixed (search for 00M12)

2. The tranny isnt the A4LD, but its no 5spd. They do fail, but its not like its a horrible track record. Just do proper maintnence.

3. The BW electronic shift system sometimes gets pick, but most of the time the shift motor just needs to be cleaned. I really dont think its a weak spot at all, seems pretty rugged to me. Most people dont have problems with it, and those that do probably had shift motor problems.

Good Luck!
-----Nate

BTW~ it seems like people who have the most problems are the ones who abuse it offroad. With proper maintaince and care offroad, you should be fine.

1. Allegedly there are 5 chains. I have had some fixes done on mine. Up to 72,000 miles you can have the most common problems fixed (search for 00M12)

5 Chains please explain, I have replaced the timing chain and gears on my old 83 Ford E150. Seems I did read that there is a set of chains on the rear of the SOHC motor.

Now this really seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Thanks,
Sonny

Haha, its really not. The chain tensioners / guides in the front were finicky, but Ford will fix that for free (along with your intake manifold o-rings) so long as the SOHC motor is under 72k mi. The SOHC motor runs great, and safely revvs higher than the pushrod, basically because of less mass in the timing system (I think). Anyways, proper maintnence will definatly keep things under control.
-----Nate

My 2000 SOHC runs fantastic. The IAC seems to be rather disposable however. I am contimplating on getting one and just keeping it in the glove box.

Had no problems with my SOHC. Only had to replace thermostat. Check to make sure there isnt a slight oil pain leak. That has seemed to be somewhat of a problem. I had the same skepticism you did when first looking to buy an explorer. Im impressed....pretty solid engine if not abused just like any car.

Well it's quite obvious why the SOHC revs higher than the OHV. It has no pushrods to weigh down the valvetrain ;)

The SOHC in my dad's truck is at 91K miles and has had absolutely NO problems with the timing chain. I can hear it rattle if I WOT from a stop, but it's still a very quiet, solid, and quite powerful motor. I like it at least :D

There was a problem with the camshaft tensioner in the SOHC motor and there was recall to remedy that so honestly, i dont think that would be a problem. as far as trannys go, some are great, some are bad, mine was crap but that's why there are warranty's.

The SOHC in my dad's truck is at 91K miles and has had absolutely NO problems with the timing chain. I can hear it rattle if I WOT from a stop

the chains should not rattle. are you sure that what you are hearing is not pinging?

Also while it's not engine related, Check and see if the heater/AC blend dial works. If the blend door in the heater box isn't broken (Hot all the time or Cold all the time) it WILL break it's just a matter of time. It is an expensive fix 500-900(depending on who does the work) Ford installed the wrong part at the factory in 97-98 models for sure and maybe 96's. Just do a search on Blend Door on this forum to read up on it. Plus ford has put out a TSB on the issue as well.

Deak

Originally posted by Exploder99
There was a problem with the camshaft tensioner in the SOHC motor and there was recall to remedy that so honestly, i dont think that would be a problem. as far as trannys go, some are great, some are bad, mine was crap but that's why there are warranty's.

the chains should not rattle. are you sure that what you are hearing is not pinging?
I hear a chain noise similar to a bicycle chain that hasn't been oiled too well from the engine when it accelerates briskly from a stop. I highly doubt that it is pinging, but I really don't know what pinging sounds like to be honest...

Of course I'm going to say go with a V8 since I have one. But I'd say the majority of the people on this forum have the SOHC so obviously it must not be that bad. I don't see anything wrong with it. You'll have problems just like you will with any other car, most of them minor fixes.

SOHCs SHOULD NOT PING! I learned this on the forums, we have a knock sensor, and if it begins to ping for some reason, we sure as hell will know.
I say get it, IMHO.
And get a lower gear ratio, I love my 4.10s.
-----Nate

I have had no troubles with my 99 sohc and get up to 30 MPG on the road.

But dont expect that kinda milage normally. Al just made it a quest for super efficient driving, so you would have to follow his 'quest for 30mpg' thread to find out how he did it.
Just letting you know so you arent disappointed if you were expecting 30mpg.
-----Nate

we've got an 00 awd eb with the 5.0 and an 02 with the sohc... Sohc gets better milage around town, but on the road, the 5.0 usually will get better milage. Come the interstate... I'd take the 5.0 over the sohc b/c there's alot more power there at speed... Both are stock. Oh, and you can mod up a OHV but then yer gonna be running premium gas b/c of the chip.. Dunno if it's worth the added cost to mod the motor, when ya could get the sohc over the ohv v-6 when the power is already there.
just my 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everone for your help and opinions. I really think that since I plan on keeping the Explorer for a long time, I am going to try and get the V8.

When I do get one I will be back with questions. This is one of the most informational boards I have run across.

There are a great bunch of people here.

Thanks again,
Sonny :thumbsup:

Back