• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing Sound

doloskeeter

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 Limited, 1,450 miles. There is a noticeable "buzz" sound when the volume is turned very low, or when I pull in a garage and lose my Sirius signal, you can hear it. It almost sounds like a buzz sound you get when there is interference with something.

Any words of wisdom?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is the vent to the right of steering wheel. put your finger over it and the sound will go away. it is related to the MFT. we had a 2013 briefly without MFT and it did not do this. the new one we just got, has it and has the fan noise.

I have a 2013 Limited, 1,450 miles. There is a noticeable "buzz" sound when the volume is turned very low, or when I pull in a garage and lose my Sirius signal, you can hear it. It almost sounds like a buzz sound you get when there is interference with something.

Any words of wisdom?

When you hear this buzzing noise, do you happen to have the seat coolers or heaters on? They can be quite noisy at their different settings.

I don't even have My Climate on, so it's not that. It does sound like it's coming from the engine or under the dash. I'll try putting my hand on the vent and report back in the morning.

Many have reported issues with a fan. Could that be it? Where is that fan?

the fan is directly behind the little slotted vent in dash. what i am talking about has nothing to do with AC/Heat vents.

2012-11-07%2B21.26.02.png

damn, my truck is dirty!!

Can it be fixed?

i dont think it is broken. just a slightly noisy fan. if others could chime in and let us know if theirs are silent. to be honest it doesnt bother me at all. the only time i can hear it is if truck is not running

2012-11-07%2B21.26.02.png

damn, my truck is dirty!!
I was informed some time ago by another member that that 'vent' is actually the opening that is used for the inside cabin temperature reading. Not aware of any fan back there or why there would even be one. There is a small printed circuit board behind that opening.

Peter

Any words of wisdom?
Is the sound still there if you turn the radio off?

Peter

I took it to the dealer today -- it is so loud they were able to duplicate it immediately. The vent I'm talking about is the vent that takes the inside temperature of the cabin.

I had a Park Assist installed a week ago and they are wondering if there is some kind of interference, although the park assist is just a module. It is a loud buzz, and you can hear it over someone talking back to me on a phone call. If you press that vent, it does muffle it, but not real sure it's coming from there.

It starts immediately upon starting the vehicle and stays on until you shut off the vehicle. They said they had not seen this before. I've searched all the threads too and can't seem to find anyone that has had this problem.

Hopefully I'll have it back by Saturday. I have a rental.....a really crapola Impala.......

You cant find anyone that has the problem? I have the problem! Im the one who told you where the noise is emitting from!

other forum members can shine a flashlight down the vent and see if they have a fan spinning. if they do, observe if it is audible or not.

Sorry, you did say you had the same issue, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. You also stated it was a MFT issue.

With all the posts on here about MFT, I guess I am surprised that not more people have complained about it.

The dealer said the sound was totally unacceptable but also said they had not encountered this before. Either they are lying to me or it is not a MFT problem. One would think they would have run across it before now.

i was just busting your chops, but to clarify. i said i thought it was an mft problem as i thought it was the differentiating factor. on your other post i clarified that both had MFT, the new one has voice activated navi. after other peoples input, i think it is a fan that blows ever so slightly accross the thermistor for cabin temperature. i think we got bad fans!!

Fixed For Now

Got a call this morning from the technician who installs all the items people add on after a sale (i.e., cross bars, DVD entertainment system, etc). He installed the Park Assist.

He could not replicate the buzzing sound even though the service manager and his boss sat in the car with me the day before and clearly heard the buzzing.

As he was talking to me this morning on my cell phone (I don't have a land line), he was asking me to describe the noise. And as we were talking, the buzzing sound was there (our cell to cell phone call) and I said, "do you hear that buzzing on the line?" "It sounds like that". And he said "I don't hear a buzzing"....and he said "it might be your iPhone, and the buzzing sound was coming through the speakers". He said he'd test drive the car but suggested I update the iPhone software and go up to the dealership.

I updated the phone, turned it off, turned off the bluetooth and headed up there. We went for a drive and sure enough the buzz sound was gone. I re-paired the phone, made a few test calls, and the buzz is gone. So it had to be the iPhone.

Anyway, I'll take the car back up there Tuesday and they'll do the latest MFT update and put in the A4 Nav card.

We've had GMs, VWs, Honda's, Toyota's and a Cadillac.....as far as a dealership that was fantastic to deal with as far as the sale; and now, service, this is, by far, the best dealership that I have encountered.

I have this issue as well!

It started all at once at about 1300 miles. I rarely have the radio on, so it was immediately noticable when it started...it's faint enough that if you have the radio on, it would drown it out. Highway wind noise also drowns it out, but sitting at a stoplight with the radio off and it is definately noticable.

I also verified that there is a cooling fan behind that grill pictured above. I stuck a key in there to see if something was loose and hit the fan.

I also searched for this issue and can't find any other reference to it. Could it be only on the 2013's?

Any new news on how to fix it? I guess I'll have to take it in. Great...1500 miles and I'm already going back to the dealer.

Mike

I have this issue as well!

It started all at once at about 1300 miles. I rarely have the radio on, so it was immediately noticable when it started...it's faint enough that if you have the radio on, it would drown it out. Highway wind noise also drowns it out, but sitting at a stoplight with the radio off and it is definately noticable.

I also verified that there is a cooling fan behind that grill pictured above. I stuck a key in there to see if something was loose and hit the fan.

I also searched for this issue and can't find any other reference to it. Could it be only on the 2013's?

Any new news on how to fix it? I guess I'll have to take it in. Great...1500 miles and I'm already going back to the dealer.

Mike
This appears to be a recent problem and from the posts it seems to so far only affect the 2013 models.

Welcome to the Forum scca60.:wavey:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum scca60.:wavey:

Peter

Thanks. I wish my first post could have been about something better.

I DO like the adaptive cruise and lane keeping, the seats are comfortable, it rides well....

I see Ford Customer Service on here occasionally. Do they know of an issue with this cooling fan?

Back