Buzzing Sound | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing Sound

Thanks. I wish my first post could have been about something better.

I DO like the adaptive cruise and lane keeping, the seats are comfortable, it rides well....

I see Ford Customer Service on here occasionally. Do they know of an issue with this cooling fan?
They would be Cory and Gina, the newest member on here. I don't believe there is a know problem with this buzzing just a few incidents. The reps are here to assist in getting problems looked after and have been doing a very good job in getting some problems escalated down the line.
Have your your dealer take a look/listen to the sound and see what, if anything, they come up with. It wouldn't hurt to tell them that others with 2013's are having this issue as well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I updated the phone, turned it off, turned off the bluetooth and headed up there. We went for a drive and sure enough the buzz sound was gone. I re-paired the phone, made a few test calls, and the buzz is gone. So it had to be the iPhone...
It’s great you figured out the noise, doloskeeter. :):thumbsup:

i dont think it is broken. just a slightly noisy fan. if others could chime in and let us know if theirs are silent. to be honest it doesnt bother me at all. the only time i can hear it is if truck is not running
...I see Ford Customer Service on here occasionally. Do they know of an issue with this cooling fan?
edub & scca60,

I suggest scheduling an appointment with your dealer. I’m glad to help and send the info up the line to your regional customer service managers. For me to do this, please shoot a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, VIN, and dealer name/state.

When you hear this buzzing noise, do you happen to have the seat coolers or heaters on? They can be quite noisy at their different settings.
Take it back to the dealer. That's what warranties are for.
They would be Cory and Gina, the newest member on here. I don't believe there is a know problem with this buzzing just a few incidents. The reps are here to assist in getting problems looked after and have been doing a very good job in getting some problems escalated down the line...
I love to see everyone helping out (thanks a bunch for the shout-out, Peter!). :D

Cory

Based on the description, it sounds like a ground loop hum. For example I can get that hum by plugging in my kindle fire to the a/v input of the MFT but also have the kindle plugged into a usb charger at the same time

I have a 2013 with the same buzzing sound. It does sound like it is coming from the small vent to the right of the steering wheel. It does not come in as soon as the car is started. It takes a few minutes then it is on until the car is turned off.

I have a 2013 with the same buzzing sound. It does sound like it is coming from the small vent to the right of the steering wheel. It does not come in as soon as the car is started. It takes a few minutes then it is on until the car is turned off.
Welcome aboard Westerman.:wavey:
I guess they had to give the 2013 owners something to post about. Just think about how boring this Forum would be if everything was perfect and we didn't have something to complain about. :)
I don't know why this only seems to affect the 2013 models? Did they change something after 2 model years? :dunno:

Peter

It's been awhile since I posted on this subject. My last post was the dealer thought it was my phone because I dropped it off at night and the next day we could not duplicate the problem (I even went up to the dealer).

When I took the car in for the 3.5 update, the sound was there and they did say there was fan behind the vent which sucks in the air from the cabin to take the temperature. They replaced the fan.

Three days later, it's back. I filled out a customer service bulletin and told them it was back.

When I take it in for the 5,000 oil change, if the sound is there, they are going to replace it. Dang thing is under warranty.

It is a problem.

When I took the car in for the 3.5 update, the sound was there and they did say there was fan behind the vent which sucks in the air from the cabin to take the temperature. They replaced the fan.

Three days later, it's back. I filled out a customer service bulletin and told them it was back.
I verified that when I held an extinguished match in front of the vent and noticed some of the smoke was being drawn into that vent.
It still doesn't explain why this noise seems to be a 2013 model issue. I wonder if they actually tested the fan after they removed it to verify it was the cause.
My guess would be NO.

Peter

Sorry, you did say you had the same issue, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. You also stated it was a MFT issue.

With all the posts on here about MFT, I guess I am surprised that not more people have complained about it.

The dealer said the sound was totally unacceptable but also said they had not encountered this before. Either they are lying to me or it is not a MFT problem. One would think they would have run across it before now.

I am always told that mine is the only one they have seen a problem with ...... No matter what it is. It is the standard answer to their customers! :mad:

They took the dash off while I was in the vehicle and pulled the fan out and it was the culprit for the noise.

Maybe it's rubbing on something. Who knows. All I know is I'm going to pester them every single time I take that car in and they will replace it if it is making noise at the time. I bought an extended warranty, thank goodness, so they can put as many fans in there for all I care.

I have this issue as well!

It started all at once at about 1300 miles. I rarely have the radio on, so it was immediately noticable when it started...it's faint enough that if you have the radio on, it would drown it out. Highway wind noise also drowns it out, but sitting at a stoplight with the radio off and it is definately noticable.

I also verified that there is a cooling fan behind that grill pictured above. I stuck a key in there to see if something was loose and hit the fan.

I also searched for this issue and can't find any other reference to it. Could it be only on the 2013's?

Any new news on how to fix it? I guess I'll have to take it in. Great...1500 miles and I'm already going back to the dealer.

Mike

yep, except mine was audible from purchase. it is so "faint" i thought it was an option change from vehicle we initially bought that was silent, but upgraded 2nd day to nicer ride. i initially thought it was mft, but after my wife reminded me the first vehicle had mft as well. the difference was the new one had navigation. i thought it was some type of gyro/cooling fan doohickey for navi. wonder what it is, surely there is way to find out what the fan is for. does anyone have access to exploded parts diagrams?

yep, except mine was audible from purchase. it is so "faint" i thought it was an option change from vehicle we initially bought that was silent, but upgraded 2nd day to nicer ride. i initially thought it was mft, but after my wife reminded me the first vehicle had mft as well. the difference was the new one had navigation. i thought it was some type of gyro/cooling fan doohickey for navi. wonder what it is, surely there is way to find out what the fan is for. does anyone have access to exploded parts diagrams?
If you go up a few posts and read the one by doloskeeter, you will see what the fan's purpose is. I checked out www.fordparts.com and was not able to find that fan. I did find a diagram with the Temperature Control Sensor.

Peter

I took mine to the dealer today and they ordered a part that was supposed to fix it. Not sure if its a new fan or what. All I know is that the noise drives me crazy and I will bug them until it goes away.

I am always told that mine is the only one they have seen a problem with ...... No matter what it is. It is the standard answer to their customers! :mad:
I want to arrange a follow-up call from your regional CSM, rmp301. I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages, so please PM me your current mileage.

...Maybe it's rubbing on something. Who knows. All I know is I'm going to pester them every single time I take that car in and they will replace it if it is making noise at the time...
doloskeeter,

I’m available to help by escalating this up to the customer service manager for your region. For me to do this, please drop a line via PM with your contact information (including your full name, approximate mileage, best daytime phone number, VIN, and dealer name/state).

yep, except mine was audible from purchase...
Have you visited your dealer’s service department to let them hear, edub? Let me know via PM if I can lend a hand. :)

I took mine to the dealer today and they ordered a part that was supposed to fix it...
Westerman,

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for posting an update; I’m confident your dealer is going to take care of you.

...I guess they had to give the 2013 owners something to post about. Just think about how boring this Forum would be if everything was perfect and we didn't have something to complain about. :)
This forum is a lot more “boring” thanks to all your helping, Peter. ;) LOL JK Thanks for all you do. :thumbsup:

Cory

Good news!

I got to the dealer today, they found that the fan was defective, and have ordered a replacement. Once installed, I'll let everyone know if the noise goes away.

The noise is faint, but gets louder the longer the car runs. My theory is that it is a cooling fan for the dash electronics? Like a computer CPU fan? I think this because it gets louder as the dash and center stack runs longer.

Anyway, I made sure the car had bee running a while and then had the service tech sit in the drivers seat and turn on the car to accessory without starting the engine. With the engine, HVAC, and radio of, it was obvious to both of us.

Either only the 2013's have this type of fan, or they have a batch of defective fans...

Good news!

I got to the dealer today, they found that the fan was defective, and have ordered a replacement. Once installed, I'll let everyone know if the noise goes away.

The noise is faint, but gets louder the longer the car runs. My theory is that it is a cooling fan for the dash electronics? Like a computer CPU fan? I think this because it gets louder as the dash and center stack runs longer.

Anyway, I made sure the car had bee running a while and then had the service tech sit in the drivers seat and turn on the car to accessory without starting the engine. With the engine, HVAC, and radio of, it was obvious to both of us.

Either only the 2013's have this type of fan, or they have a batch of defective fans...
As noted in a previous post, the fan draws air in from the cabin to register the cabin temperature.
I have a 2011 with the same setup and no noise at all. Seems to be a 2013 issue so far.

Peter

Scca60 --

I hope your repair holds because mine didn't. I was three days free of no noise. It may be a defect batch of fans, but I guess my dealership received the defective fans as well and they are sitting in their parts department. I can take my car back, but it's a pain to get off work.....

Scca60 --

I hope your repair holds because mine didn't. I was three days free of no noise. It may be a defect batch of fans, but I guess my dealership received the defective fans as well and they are sitting in their parts department. I can take my car back, but it's a pain to get off work.....

Hi doloskeeter,

I know we've already been in touch over PM, but please keep me in the loop as things progress. I can always check in on the status of your case and give you an update; alternatively, you can give your CSM a call, too.

Thanks,
Crystal

Crystal,

Thank you for your follow-up. I did receive a call today, they said they also contacted the dealership. They would try and press to help me get in on a Saturday so I don't have to miss more work. I'll keep you posted!

Crystal,

Thank you for your follow-up. I did receive a call today, they said they also contacted the dealership. They would try and press to help me get in on a Saturday so I don't have to miss more work. I'll keep you posted!

Hey doloskeeter,

Sounds like you're in good hands; give me a shout if you need anything else from me, otherwise I'll look forward to your update.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fan Noise

I have a 2013 EX with the same problem. Took it in to the dealership and they flat out told me that there is nothing they can do. They said that all the explorers have been coming in with the same problem and Ford has not given them a fix. Has anyone had any luck getting their "fan" problem fixed? I have a strong background in electronics and when I find a noisy fan on a piece of equipment, especially a 40k product, I replace it. It strikes me as odd when I go in to a dealership and they tell that there is a defect, but there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Back