Buzzing Sound | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing Sound

My 2013 Explorer has the same sound i just started hearing it last week. My wife drove it to the dealership today and is still there, the first response is that this is a fan and it is normal noise - which is unacceptable as: a) it was not there before and b) it is too loud to be comfortable... I will send Crystal a PM later tonight when i get home and have the vin number etc.. for assistance. Good to see these forums exist and are helpful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm happy to report, I had the fan changed on mine today and MAN, what a difference.

I'm sorry I waited this long to have it done. The fix IS a replacement, and don't accept any other alternative. :D

I finally took mine in as well. Make sure if you have this problem you have them look at it while the engine (and car) are still warm. Even though I told them to look at it immediately, they waited around and then told me 30 - 45 minutes later that they couldn't find anything wrong. I let it run for a few minutes and then had the tech get in the driver seat. He heard it immediately.

New fan was installed today and appears to have done the trick. The dealer even gave me a rental to drive, so overall the process was pretty painless.

Thanks to everyone in this forum! If not for you I wouldn't have known where to tell the tech to look.

Just purchased a CPO 2013 explorer sport a week ago. Also added the premium warranty for bumper to bumper coverage up to 100k. I also have this buzzing and will be taking it in to be looked at. I do not expect a very happy or prompt ending to this.

Just purchased a CPO 2013 explorer sport a week ago. Also added the premium warranty for bumper to bumper coverage up to 100k. I also have this buzzing and will be taking it in to be looked at. I do not expect a very happy or prompt ending to this.
Welcome to the Forum croll326.:wavey:
For some reason this issue seems to be linked to the 2013 models. Not sure why or what they did differently compared to the 2011 and 2012 models.
A fan replacement seems to be the only solution.

Peter

...I also have this buzzing and will be taking it in to be looked at...

Hi croll326,

Let me know how your visit to the dealership goes. Additionally, I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Appointment Thursday next week 730am. I guess we will see what they say.

I have video proof of the buzzing too.

Appointment Thursday next week 730am. I guess we will see what they say.

I have video proof of the buzzing too.

Thanks for keeping us posted, croll326; I'll keep an eye out for your updates.

Crystal

Replaced fan. Better but no silent. Guess it's just they way it is?

Our 2013 Explorer Sport has also developed the buzzing sound. Putting a finger over the vent greatly reduces the buzzing sound. The buzzing sound does not start until the engine is warm. Turning the stereo and climate off has no impact on the buzzing sound (other than being able to hear it better because there are no other sounds covering it up). It's going in for service for the buzzing sound next week.

... It's going in for service for the buzzing sound next week.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Obreezevic. Let me know how the service trip goes and feel free to reach out with any questions. I'll be awaiting your update.

Brittany

The ambient air temp fan was replaced and the buzzing noise is gone. A simple test to determine if the ambient air temp fan is causing the buzzing noise is to put your thumb over the small vent behind the steering wheel. If the noise is muted, the ambient air temp fan is likely the issue.

As I mentioned in my post 85, this problem for some reason seems to be an issue that is common to the 2013 models. I don't know what Ford changed to cause this. I just hope that if it begins to occur that it does so before the warranty runs out.

Peter

I test drove one that had the same issue... They traced it to the nav system... master reset fixed it... I did not buy that one :D

My 2014 has this buzzing i believe. I need to check by putting my hand over that vent but there is an audible buzz from around my steering wheel.

I did just have the remote access installed and cant think if the buzz was there before or not. I am wondering if the installer put the reciever too close to somethign causing a buzzing. But it is SUPER annoying especially when I have one of my weekly migraines and am just trying to make it home.

My 2014 has this buzzing i believe. I need to check by putting my hand over that vent but there is an audible buzz from around my steering wheel.

I did just have the remote access installed and cant think if the buzz was there before or not. I am wondering if the installer put the reciever too close to somethign causing a buzzing. But it is SUPER annoying especially when I have one of my weekly migraines and am just trying to make it home.

Did your dealership do the install, soulpatch? If so, I'd recommend returning so they can inspect. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Did your dealership do the install, soulpatch? If so, I'd recommend returning so they can inspect. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Crystal,

Yes and No. Dealership had someone come in to do the install. So they are liable for anything wrong with it their techs did not actually install it.

And I dont know why considering how easy of an install it is.

I will probably stop in there this week to discuss with them and if need be will get you involved like you were for my wheel hubs.

Crystal,

Yes and No. Dealership had someone come in to do the install. So they are liable for anything wrong with it their techs did not actually install it.

And I dont know why considering how easy of an install it is.

I will probably stop in there this week to discuss with them and if need be will get you involved like you were for my wheel hubs.

Sounds good, soulpatch. You know how to reach me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have this intermittently in my '13 XLT w/25k miles. When it was buzzing my husband noticed it, he doesn't ever notice anything! It is an annoying little noise. When I put my hand over the vent shown in the pictures here the noise reduced so I can confirm it is that area. It has nothing to do with the radio as I turned that off and on and it made no difference. I don't use my phone in the car so I know it's not Bluetooth related.
When I went for my last oil change it wasn't making the noise and I didn't want to be bothered waiting around. When it gets bad enough I'll mention it.

My recommendation when you go to your dealership....print this thread and bring it with as proof the problem exists and what has been done to fix!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back