Bypassing power steering. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypassing power steering.

Swapping to a manual box would be the way to go. Ratio is very different to benefit the driver without the hyd assist. That does look super cool though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading through quite a bit of threads all over the interwebs... apparently the pitman arm to use can from a saginaw setup, or a jeep xj with manual steering. I ordered a used xj arm. Also discovered a idler pulley from a later model crown vic with a 4.6L 2v will swap over to the mount on the 4.0L so a fella doesn't have to invert the tensioner. I pressed a 6203LU bearing into the CV bearing...same bearing used for explorer idler pulley. Stock bolt fits, zero interference, and lines right up. Belt just wraps around the other side of pulley, and you keep everything else in stock position. More to follow as I discover more info. Still not sure on belt length, as I plan on changing all tie rods along with the full manual steering swap. Will require an alignment...may as well make the most of it.

Just for S and Gs, ordered a stock crown Vic idler pulley. Works like a champ. Has the right series bearing to fit with stock explorer bolt.
Took a few attempts at belt lengths buti found a gates belt at the local O'Reilly's @ 52.75" that fits perfect. Made a witness mark on tensioner prior to pulling belt for p/s, so I could make sure tension was even with shorter belt (if that makes sense.) Just don't want to wear out bearings on other pulleys with too much tension. Part number for Gates belt that I used is K060520.
Also had to fab a wider flange to bolt the manual steering shaft, lower joint onto my stock intermediate shaft. Have yet to bolt everything...just making sure items fit as I go, before complete install. As always...more to follow.

The xj pitman arm, previously mentioned, does fit the sector shaft of the manual box like a champ. The tapered hole for the tie rod/drag link does not. Gotta borrow a 7 degree tapered reamer from work, and remove some material to get a good fit up. Maybe a different pitman arm could have fit better, but I'm committed now lol. It's slowly coming together though.

Modified steering shaft, gearbox, reamed pitman arm, and new tie rods all installed. Drove it down for an alignment. As expected, requires more effort to steer, but the different gear ratio in the steering box do help. I really like it so far. Many would wonder why I chose to swap over to this setup. There aren't HUGE advantages, but several small ones IMHO. Between the weight difference in gearboxes, and pump delete, there are some weight savings. No more pump whine. One less thing to leak under the hood. Less drag on accessory drive of the engine. The parts were a small investment in cash and time to fit up, but worth the effort in the end. I'm open to helping anyone interested in doing this swap. Shoot an email to bthompson47f@hotmail.com with questions. Cheers.

Modified steering shaft, gearbox, reamed pitman arm, and new tie rods all installed. Drove it down for an alignment. As expected, requires more effort to steer, but the different gear ratio in the steering box do help. I really like it so far. Many would wonder why I chose to swap over to this setup. There aren't HUGE advantages, but several small ones IMHO. Between the weight difference in gearboxes, and pump delete, there are some weight savings. No more pump whine. One less thing to leak under the hood. Less drag on accessory drive of the engine. The parts were a small investment in cash and time to fit up, but worth the effort in the end. I'm open to helping anyone interested in doing this swap. Shoot an email to bthompson47f@hotmail.com with questions. Cheers.
Not sure it's worth the effort to me, but that is super cool!

Yea looks like the ranger one is exact fit. Hmm thinking of just ordering a new one so I don't have to search around thanks alot u guys..
It seems like a lot of effort. I agree on the electric water pump, may have to run a idler pulley or 2 but if you want to it's your truck. Manual steering is going to suck off-road with bit tires...

People keep telling me that...I have yet to experience any regret going off road though. For my needs, it works great. To each their own. It was well worth effort , IMHO

Back